FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

HunterSK said:
PVFlyer said:
I think enabling WPA2 on the repeater end is secure enough to protect 99.9% of unauthorized access. Please tell me HOW a kid at a park can damage your system once WPA2 enabled. Don't tell me you are against DoS/DDoS attack, like Facebook encountered several days ago.

FYI, there are multiple other ways to access P2V+ Wifi even you change the root password. Hence, you would not get 100% secured anyway. Changing root password would also break some functions of VISION app though FPV camera work.

Yes enabling WPA2 encryption is likely sufficient, I agree with you there and I'm not disputing that. The reality is that enabling WPA2 encryption requires quite a lot more work to set up (editing configuration files, and setting up encryption setting and pass key on two ends on two platforms: the Phantom and Repeater). When I started I simply changed my root password as a start and then enabled encryption later thanks to Linuxkidd's excellent guides on this forum.

My own experience have not revealed any issue with the change of the root password. I did not find any issue with FPV live stream, Telemetry, I could even access and download photos and videos from the Phantom. Everything works as normal, as expected because the DJI Vision+ does not log in as root to access this type of data. Please enlighten me if I'm in error.

My point is that IF the root password is changed, could future versions of the Vision+ Boost app please be able to have a user-specified password?

I'm posting this on this thread by asking politely and with respect to the developer as a customer.
I run software business for almost 20 years. Software product development is an art (of course also a science) with comprehensive consideration to balance features, security, safety, performance, ongoing maintenance & upgrade as well as easy to use/deploy. It's not a matter of how to do that from technical stand (user-specified password is real simple), it's a matter of what's the most appropriate way to achieve it. If you look a few pages back of stage-2 booster screen captures, we will implement WPA2 Password on repeater end by a single click of "Apply" button to streamline all the required configurations.

Your approach (or whoever Linuxkidd's excellent guides) has certain drawbacks deploying on P2V+. Changing root password would break some VISION app function, such as Rename SSID. Encrypting aircraft end will definitely lower the bitrate/bandwidth and increase the processor loading, which is likely to affect FPV range especially on a moving (unstable) Wifi network. You can easily test this out by flying your bird. Can you try and report back your results?

Regarding security, can anything be done to harm the Plus if hacked? I don't see much of a danger here. Sure it can mess up that flight but so what, why make it that much harder for you to use it?

HunterSK said:
PVFlyer said:
I think enabling WPA2 on the repeater end is secure enough to protect 99.9% of unauthorized access. Please tell me HOW a kid at a park can damage your system once WPA2 enabled. Don't tell me you are against DoS/DDoS attack, like Facebook encountered several days ago.

FYI, there are multiple other ways to access P2V+ Wifi even you change the root password. Hence, you would not get 100% secured anyway. Changing root password would also break some functions of VISION app though FPV camera work.

Yes enabling WPA2 encryption is likely sufficient, I agree with you there and I'm not disputing that. The reality is that enabling WPA2 encryption requires quite a lot more work to set up (editing configuration files, and setting up encryption setting and pass key on two ends on two platforms: the Phantom and Repeater). When I started I simply changed my root password as a start and then enabled encryption later thanks to Linuxkidd's excellent guides on this forum.

My own experience have not revealed any issue with the change of the root password. I did not find any issue with FPV live stream, Telemetry, I could even access and download photos and videos from the Phantom. Everything works as normal, as expected because the DJI Vision+ does not log in as root to access this type of data. Please enlighten me if I'm in error.

My point is that IF the root password is changed, could future versions of the Vision+ Boost app please be able to have a user-specified password?

I'm posting this on this thread by asking politely and with respect to the developer as a customer.

Just for some perspective:

1. V+ ships with a non-secured wifi connection (open network for fpv use)
2. The booster app does nothing to make this connection less secure than it already is
3. There currently are not any known incidents of hostile takeover of the fpv network (although certainly possible if someone really wanted to as it is an open network)
4. Even if someone wanted to, I have seen no evidence that flight controls could be affected such as might be used to take control of the piloting of the copter (Edit: I stand corrected on this point...sounds like there is the possibility to get at 5.8 control through a hack)
5. PVFlyer has proposed adding WPA2 encryption in the next release of the app that will make the V+ more secure than it is now.

That's more than good enough for me :cool: . Now let's allow him to focus his time and efforts on the 7th channel and other upgrades that many people are excited about :D

ResevorDG said:
Regarding security, can anything be done to harm the Plus if hacked? I don't see much of a danger here. Sure it can mess up that flight but so what, why make it that much harder for you to use it?
Yes, the hack is feasible to takeover the entire control of P2V+ and disable 5.8G control, fly to specified location and land. This is about to steal or hijack the drone.

In fact, I have been planning a much bigger project to develop a full autopilot app (similar to GS) to control drones (DJI Phantom and Parrot Bebop Drone) with hundreds of waypoints to perform specific tasks, without requiring 5.8G/human control at all.

PVFlyer said:
ResevorDG said:
Yes, the hack is feasible to takeover the entire control of P2V+ and disable 5.8G control, fly to specified location and land. This is about to steal or hijack the drone.

In fact, I have been planning a much bigger project to develop a full autopilot app (similar to GS) to control drones (DJI Phantom and Parrot Bebop Drone) with hundreds of waypoints to perform specific tasks, without requiring 5.8G/human control at all.

Interesting...
I think I may be living in the future.

Can i use this app with ipad 2?? Dji site doesn't count ipad 2 between IOS recommended devices, is there any way to use mine with this app properly?

Thanks,

flyNfrank said:
cougar said:
Mori55 said:
Plus when the ground station becomes available I'm sure you'll have to update.

This is very possible, but it would take a HUGE benefit before I leave 1.08. I do know most people are on newer firmware but the 1.08 is SO much nimbler and fun to fly.

Have two P2V+ in the family and the other is on 3.04, flown them side by side and in my view 1.08 is the best.
As far as restrictions, don't have any problem with the no-fly areas that some people object to but like the nimbleness of 1.08 :)

I take it you fly no further then the eye can see? I know you wont like to hear this......I flew with 1.08 for a week, 6 weeks ago. At first I thought I was in heaven with the v1.08 installed. I soon realized it was the most unstable version of all. Version 3.0 is the best for both applications the Vision and the vPlus. The v3.04 as we know has a major issue directed at a mystery heating problem. They also messed up in leading users on a turd hunt with the Gain's settings. I never did figure out why dji was putting so much attention into the adjust ability into the stability when adding additional weight. I'm being sarcastic, but it's almost like they want the working man to pull his Phantom out of his vehicle and it be able to transport a flat tire to the closest service shop for repair. LOL! At any rate stay away from upgrading to v3.04, at least until numerous others have given it the good-to-go approval.

The only thing I don't like, is that you are doing assumptions about other people. I did say that this is my personal preference.
For the record I fly outside of view and have tried the other firmware as well.

Has anyone Test the new Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster App?

Hello,

have downloaded today a new app for Android?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ster&hl=de

With the app, I was able to increase the range significantly.
On the iphone I have the "Vision + Wi-Fi Booster" app and I think that this new app is better.
If I boost the Range Extender then I come to the next village :DD

incredible

Re: Has anyone Test the new Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster A

tryToFly said:
Hello,

have downloaded today a new app for Android?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ster&hl=de

With the app, I was able to increase the range significantly.
On the iphone I have the "Vision + Wi-Fi Booster" app and I think that this new app is better.
If I boost the Range Extender then I come to the next village :DD

incredible
Please start your own thread for your own app, and don't hijack mine.

hey sry,

that is admins work - I have started a new Thread

and that's not my App :roll:

ToddSmi said:
HunterSK said:
PVFlyer said:

Just for some perspective:

1. V+ ships with a non-secured wifi connection (open network for fpv use)
2. The booster app does nothing to make this connection less secure than it already is
3. There currently are not any known incidents of hostile takeover of the fpv network (although certainly possible if someone really wanted to as it is an open network)
4. Even if someone wanted to, I have seen no evidence that flight controls could be affected such as might be used to take control of the piloting of the copter (Edit: I stand corrected on this point...sounds like there is the possibility to get at 5.8 control through a hack)
5. PVFlyer has proposed adding WPA2 encryption in the next release of the app that will make the V+ more secure than it is now.

That's more than good enough for me :cool: . Now let's allow him to focus his time and efforts on the 7th channel and other upgrades that many people are excited about :D
It's not about to get 5.8G control, but simply disable/override 5.8G RX. It's pretty straight forward like the new released app with waypoint, set a new home point coordinate a few miles away to NAZA flight controller and then trigger RTH, done.

PVFlyer said:
It's not about to get 5.8G control, but simply disable/override 5.8G RX. It's pretty straight forward like the new released app with waypoint, set a new home point coordinate a few miles away to NAZA flight controller and then trigger RTH, done.

Interesting. Would the WPA2 encryption you have proposed for next Booster app help in reducing this risk that is inherent in current DJI setup? Not something I'm personally overly concerned about, but figured I would ask the question as I know some folks do have this concern.

ToddSmi said:
PVFlyer said:

Interesting. Would the WPA2 encryption you have proposed for next Booster app help in reducing this risk that is inherent in current DJI setup? Not something I'm personally overly concerned about, but figured I would ask the question as I know some folks do have this concern.
My proposed WPA2 encryption on repeater end is to secure the Wifi "entrance" point, similar to your home Wifi network. Once you have access to your home wired/wireless network, devices within the network can talk to each others with/without second level password protection.

canerakcil said:
Can i use this app with ipad 2?? Dji site doesn't count ipad 2 between IOS recommended devices, is there any way to use mine with this app properly?

Thanks,
V+ Booster app can be running on any iOS 6.1x or 7.x devices, including iPad2. Regarding DJI VISION app, I'm unsure whether iPad2 is powerful enough processing video streaming though.

I have seen several poorest rating reviews in the past few days in iOS App Store shown below. I'm unsure whether these are malicious slander from competitor, which is pretty common in web/app world. I wouldn't speculate the intention behind though it's pretty obvious.

My key concern is if these are the real users encountering any issue, we are here willing to help to investigate and address the issues as customer service. Personally, I hate very much how DJI serving its customers and fooling them around.

------------------------------
Vaporware Warning!! ★
by PXLpainter - Version 1.1 - Jun 22, 2014

The only thing that got boosted by this purchase was my wallet! Side by side tests with toe identical craft got exact same range/results. We tested 3 consecutive runs in wide open line of sight conditions in the desert.
No change- or worse ★
by skulltronix - Version 1.1 - Jun 21, 2014

My experience is little or no change. Perhaps even less distance, if it does anything at all. Could just be a scam. I was getting 1700' without. With the boost I lost control at 1300'. But this was not a scientific test. The publisher should explain exactly what he is doing to boost the signal and show some proof that it works.
Can't recommend ★★
by PlayingWithMatches - Version 1.1 - Jun 24, 2014

I purchased this app and found out later that the app works by taking advantage if a security vulnerability on the Phantom 2 Vision+ (Google: Phantom Vision+ root password). While the app does increase the Transmitter on the Phantom aircraft to ~19dBm (although I did not get the range boost expected), it is overpriced for what is basically a script that is executed through a known security issue with the Vision+. If DJI patches the system through future software update to fix the root security issue, this app may not work.

Today I was on the beach so I could check the range. Only 750 meters (altitude 38). After, I lost the connection with the radio but not with the video. It's a bit cheap?

Smb said:
Today I was on the beach so I could check the range. Only 750 meters (altitude 38). After, I lost the connection with the radio but not with the video. It's a bit cheap?
Sorry, I don't follow what you meant. Can you be more specific on your questions or issues?

PVFlyer said:
I have seen several poorest rating reviews in the past few days in iOS App Store shown below. I'm unsure whether these are malicious slander from competitor, which is pretty common in web/app world. I wouldn't speculate the intention behind though it's pretty obvious.

My key concern is if these are the real users encountering any issue, we are here willing to help to investigate and address the issues as customer service. Personally, I hate very much how DJI serving its customers and fooling them around.

Vaporware Warning!! ★
by PXLpainter - Version 1.1 - Jun 22, 2014

The only thing that got boosted by this purchase was my wallet! Side by side tests with toe identical craft got exact same range/results. We tested 3 consecutive runs in wide open line of sight conditions in the desert.
No change- or worse ★
by skulltronix - Version 1.1 - Jun 21, 2014

My experience is little or no change. Perhaps even less distance, if it does anything at all. Could just be a scam. I was getting 1700' without. With the boost I lost control at 1300'. But this was not a scientific test. The publisher should explain exactly what he is doing to boost the signal and show some proof that it works.
Can't recommend ★★
by PlayingWithMatches - Version 1.1 - Jun 24, 2014

I purchased this app and found out later that the app works by taking advantage if a security vulnerability on the Phantom 2 Vision+ (Google: Phantom Vision+ root password). While the app does increase the Transmitter on the Phantom aircraft to ~19dBm (although I did not get the range boost expected), it is overpriced for what is basically a script that is executed through a known security issue with the Vision+. If DJI patches the system through future software update to fix the root security issue, this app may not work.

My 2 cents worth.

Tony, can't say but have a feeling this is coming from 2 camps. Either from competitors trying to discredit you or people that might have problems with their own devises. Since many people like to "tinker" and download all kinds of things on their phones and tablets, do they have the necessary hardware to deal with the transmission at great distance? Also had a look at your ratings in the iTunes app store and seems to be great so this must be on Goggle app store? Worth mentioning is also that many Android devises (not all) have inferior hardware to be used with this.

I am not writing this to start a war with Android users just my personal experience with my iPad Mini (retina) is great and have 0 problems and a 50% increase with your app.
Keep up the good work!

cougar said:
My 2 cents worth.

Tony, can't say but have a feeling this is coming from 2 camps. Either from competitors trying to discredit you or people that might have problems with their own devises. Since many people like to "tinker" and download all kinds of things on their phones and tablets, do they have the necessary hardware to deal with the transmission at great distance? Also had a look at your ratings in the iTunes app store and seems to be great so this must be on Goggle app store? Worth mentioning is also that many Android devises (not all) have inferior hardware to be used with this.

I am not writing this to start a war with Android users just my personal experience with my iPad Mini (retina) is great and have 0 problems and a 50% increase with your app.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your good words. In fact, all 3 poor reviews are from iTunes/iOS App Store (2 from USA and 1 from Australia). You may not see the rating if your iTunes account is not in that country.

I don't really care about the poor rating and discredit, though posting more positive reviews will average it out. I just want to help people out if any problem encountered with the booster app.

A really simple way to test it is to put the phantom in one corner of the house, and then walk away from it, into other rooms, etc.., until it loses FPV connection. From the spot where it loses connection, now use the boost app, and the FPV should work. I've done this multiple times in different rooms, and it has worked every single time. Not to mention I've flown over 3,500 feet with the app - so it wasn't like I needed more proof, but it was definitely a fun experiment to see it really working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94