FOV

Reaction score
Has anybody done a fov calc? Working on a agriculture project and wondering what my Fov would be at different altitudes. ex: 100 ft altitude = ? Amount of feet in ground.

Can I assume Fov refers to frame of view? The camera lens will have distortion. I think the easiest way to find that out would be to do a test photo straight down at 100 ft altitude and create the same view on your screen in Google Earth Pro - referencing features on the left, right, top and bottom edges of the screen so they are the same. Use the measuring tool to determine the ground distance across the screen left to right and top to bottom and then calculate the area in the frame of view. I think the camera lens distortion may make it impossible to come up with an equation that would work with any altitude plugged in, but you could try taking a number of different photos at different altitudes to see if a math formula exists.

Last edited:
Can I assume Fov refers to frame of view? The camera lens will have distortion. I think the easiest way to find that out would be to do a test photo straight down at 100 ft altitude and create the same view on your screen in Google Earth Pro - referencing features on the left, right, top and bottom edges of the screen so they are the same. Use the measuring tool to determine the ground distance across the screen left to right and top to bottom and then calculate the area in the frame of view. I think the camera lens distortion may make it impossible to come up with an equation that would work with any altitude plugged in, but you could try taking a number of different photos at different altitudes to see if a math formula exists.
Great idea! Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4