Forward/ Backward vision sensor stoppage distance

Reaction score
At what distance P4P comes to a stop in front of an obstacle (for back & front sensors). My P4PV1 stops in less than 1m distance from the obstacle and the stick movement in the direction of the obstacle becomes unresponsive. Is this normal? The distance at which it comes to a complete stop is very near to the obstacle.

Turn on "Display Radar Chart" in visual navigation settings to get a better idea of the distances the sensors take over. It will display on-screen. Warning beeps and stopping distance. Seems yours is working correctly, cannot force closer unless sensors turned off.

It also depends on the speed you are flying. At full speed, it can't stop quick enough and it probably will crash.
At low speed my stops around 2m in front of the obstacle.

It also depends on the speed you are flying. At full speed, it can't stop quick enough and it probably will crash.
At low speed my stops around 2m in front of the obstacle.
I was flying at very low speed (inching forward) to check at what distance it will stop. As Capt KO 's reply I did get the radar beeps early but the AC stops less than 1 m to the obstacle and the stick in that direction goes unresponsive. At higher speeds it will definitely crash.

From memory, my drone stops about 2.5 metres (8 feet) from a solid object - at least moving up on it slowly. In theory (under ideal conditions), it should be able to stop itself from the standard P-Mode max speed of 50 kph (31 mph).

I recently got caught out when attempting to fly between two tree trunks, having forgotten to turn off the sensors. The P4P stopped abruptly, before it got past the trees. I was probably doing around 35 kph at the time - about the same as RTH speed, which I've always assumed was set slower in order to improve obstacle avoidance capability.

It does sound like your drone is getting a bit close to your test-obstacle. It won't necessarily hit the obstacle if you approach at a faster speed than you've already tried. It should detect the obstacle from 15 metres and initiate braking that will allow it to stop in time. The faster the speed, the earlier and more abrupt the brake.

Last edited:
From memory, my drone stops about 2.5 metres (8 feet) from a solid object - at least moving up on it slowly. In theory (under ideal conditions), it should be able to stop itself from the standard P-Mode max speed of 50 kph (31 mph).

I recently got caught out when attempting to fly between two trees, having forgotten to turn off the sensors. The P4P stopped abruptly, before it got past the trees. I was probably doing around 35 kph at the time - about the same as RTH speed, which I've always assumed was set slower in order to improve obstacle avoidance capability.

It does sound like your drone is getting a bit close to your test-obstacle. It won't necessarily hit the obstacle if you approach at a faster speed than you have already tried. It should detect the obstacle and brake from a distance that will allow it to stop.
I tested it out on an open field where there was no solid object/ wall. I slowly inched the drone towards me till it stopped dangerously close. The radar chart went red and the RC beeped well before the AC came to a standstill.

Agree with Pygar70 it will try to stop about 8' before a solid object (wall, tree trunk or vehicle) at slow speed. I can force it closer to my body, especially in reverse. Will even stop in time at speed if it "sees" the object. Wires and limbs don't count.

Don't rely on stopping if it flies at high speed. I crashed mine once into the tree which was behind me and I forgot that. I heard beeping but a second later I heard how it was cutting leaves behind me.

Reactions: Capt KO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1