Forcing batteries to stay on

Welcome to the forum :)

Does anyone know if it is possible to force a P4 battery to stay on, even after charging?

The battery is a SMART battery and the circuitry is designed to protect the battery in any way possible. One of these is a "No Load" situation so if the battery does not have any load on it the firmware directs it to power down.

I'm curious to learn what the purpose of having the battery stay "On" after the charge is complete if not flying.

Welcome to the forum :)

The battery is a SMART battery and the circuitry is designed to protect the battery in any way possible. One of these is a "No Load" situation so if the battery does not have any load on it the firmware directs it to power down.

I'm curious to learn what the purpose of having the battery stay "On" after the charge is complete if not flying.

Autonomy. We don't want to have to have a person to go turn the drone back on after it is done wirelessly charging. Especially if the drone is charging in a remote or hazardous location.

The battery will automatically power off if no load is detected on the output. So- unless you can fashion a dummy load it won’t stay on.

I find the best way to deplete them is flying.

Our experience with these batteries appears that this is more than just a "no-load" situation. It appears that the battery actually detects that it is being charged, and instantly switching in to a "charging mode". Unfortunately for us, this means that the battery will shut off as soon as charging stops.

Our experience with these batteries appears that this is more than just a "no-load" situation. It appears that the battery actually detects that it is being charged, and instantly switching in to a "charging mode". Unfortunately for us, this means that the battery will shut off as soon as charging stops.

For most people that's an excellent safety feature and helps to preserve battery against "Human forgetfulness".

I've got another brand of sUAS that is not "Smart Battery" enabled and here's what happened recently.... I'm not sure how but glad I saw it sooner than later:

I put the battery on the charger. Started the charger and left the area to go do some other things. I got distracted and forgot to pay close attention to what was happening and the battery finished charging and the charger automatically shut down (as expected). I came back later and realized I had left this unit charging but since the charger had shut down I thought nothing more other than to UNPLUG the charger from the wall outlet (keep in mind the battery is still connected to the charger). I left the area and came back the next day to get my now fully charged LiPo battery. I was shocked to see the lights from the battery ON and the LED from the charger glowing every so lightly. I double checked to make sure the charger was NOT plugged into the wall outlet and it was NOT. I then paid attention to the LEDs on the battery and it's now 30% discharged. DISCHARGED! I guess then the charger was powered DOWN but there was a charge on the lead it allowed the battery to "feed" the charger and in essence started a slow/controlled DISCHARGE of the battery.

My concern is if I had not noticed the battery LED flashing and also the faint LED on the charger it would have continued to discharge the battery pack until it was most likely damaged due to OVER discharge. I would have FLUFFED my LiPo and not even know how/why.

For most people that's an excellent safety feature and helps to preserve battery against "Human forgetfulness".

I've got another brand of sUAS that is not "Smart Battery" enabled and here's what happened recently.... I'm not sure how but glad I saw it sooner than later:

I put the battery on the charger. Started the charger and left the area to go do some other things. I got distracted and forgot to pay close attention to what was happening and the battery finished charging and the charger automatically shut down (as expected). I came back later and realized I had left this unit charging but since the charger had shut down I thought nothing more other than to UNPLUG the charger from the wall outlet (keep in mind the battery is still connected to the charger). I left the area and came back the next day to get my now fully charged LiPo battery. I was shocked to see the lights from the battery ON and the LED from the charger glowing every so lightly. I double checked to make sure the charger was NOT plugged into the wall outlet and it was NOT. I then paid attention to the LEDs on the battery and it's now 30% discharged. DISCHARGED! I guess then the charger was powered DOWN but there was a charge on the lead it allowed the battery to "feed" the charger and in essence started a slow/controlled DISCHARGE of the battery.

My concern is if I had not noticed the battery LED flashing and also the faint LED on the charger it would have continued to discharge the battery pack until it was most likely damaged due to OVER discharge. I would have FLUFFED my LiPo and not even know how/why.

With our application, that would not be an issue, as the charging system would (while yes drawing some small continuous power from the battery) continuously monitor the battery and automatically kick on if the battery ever dropped below a specified threshold.

In a no load situation (open circuit on the output) the battery will automatically shut down. The entering charge mode state would require a DC voltage be applied to the power terminals.

In a no load situation (open circuit on the output) the battery will automatically shut down. The entering charge mode state would require a DC voltage be applied to the power terminals.

Yes. That is what our system does, charge the battery by applying s DC voltage to the terminals....

Yes. That is what our system does, charge the battery by applying s DC voltage to the terminals....
Ok- so your question perhaps should have been- does anyone know how to turn on the battery without manually performing the power on sequence with the button? If the pack is charging (regardless if it was off or on when the power source was connected) you can consider it as being powered off. It will remain in that state at charge completion.

Ok- so your question perhaps should have been- does anyone know how to turn on the battery without manually performing the power on sequence with the button? If the pack is charging (regardless if it was off or on when the power source was connected) you can consider it as being powered off. It will remain in that state at charge completion.

I guess it could have been asked that way. Ultimately though, the behavior that we want would be for a person turn the battery the very first time the drone is deployed, and then have the battery always stay on, unless it goes completely dead, or a person turns it off. Basically, the battery smarts are getting in the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik