Follow That Bike

Reaction score
I've had my bike stolen twice inside of 2 months. Each time I was able to track the thieves by stashing an old cell phone under the seat.
I realize that I was lucky to get my bike back by turning an old cell phone into a GPS tracker. The feature of a free download called "Device Manager" by Google allows my Galaxy Note 3 to track my old 3g cheapy.
Now, I want to track the bike in real time. I want to navigate the Phantom 3 to track the bicycle, taking pictures of the little bast'rd huffing and puffing as he trys to get away.
I would like to collaborate with you guys. Anyone who is smart enough to recognize the merits of the DJI Phantom 3 drone is smart enough to catch thieves.
It appears that the technology of the Phantom 3 still requires a reliance on active vigilance as opposed to a passive system that would activate upon movement.
I would love to hear from those of you who have ideas on how we can accomplish this.
My own thoughts include sending a motion activated message to my Galaxy Note 3 as the bike begins to move, then the Phantom 3 sends pictures to me as it auto-tracks the GPS on the bike. I could remotely pilot the Phantom as long as I am in range or the Phantom is in range of the bike.
A 4G LTE on board the Phantom 3 would obviously be beneficial if it were available. I wonder if it could be retro-fitted with a 4G LTE GPS device.
Just to give you guys some background, I am a Veteran, and an instrument rated private pilot. I know that the FAA has a rule book that is going to regulate us. I don't like that anymore than you do, but we need to be able to become a political force.
Drones are going to be with us for a long time. It is going to be a point of commerce and recreation. Let's develope a group much like the NRA. We will need a voice in Congress before you know it.
I will apprecite your input.

Sincerely,
[email protected]

I believe the easiest way to achieve this is to get a $40 IP camera that sends notifications when movement is tracked. Then, when you get the notification, take off and fly over the bike using the GPS signal from your phone. Thats the safest way I can see.

i have one of those cheap chinese SIM card trackers. And it has all that already.
You can set a gps perimeter, and if the tracker leaves that zone (gets stolen), the tracker sends you a text message to your phone with the coordinates, and a link to its position on google maps

Reactions: skyhighdiver
i have one of those cheap chinese SIM card trackers. And it has all that already.
You can set a gps perimeter, and if the tracker leaves that zone (gets stolen), the tracker sends you a text message to your phone with the coordinates, and a link to its position on google maps
Which product exactly are you talking about?
What are the monthly fees associated with something like this?
Do you pay as you need (in case of theft only) or do you pay regardless of usage?

Does it matter where I'm at? I'm in New Mexico, USA on Verizon for my phone, if that makes a difference.

go to ebay and search "sim card gps tracker". there are loads of them cheap.
You only need to pay your sim card subscription like a cell phone, depending on the service provider you have, maybe you can get another card free.

What's my best option for the GPS tracker in USA?
I'm on Verizon network and the cheapest way for me to add second line is still about $20/mo or ~$250/year.
What are you guys using that may be pre-paid, etc. to track/find your bird if it gets lost/fly-away?

I use the RF-V16 Tracker fitted to the gimbal protector/holder, very small and works brilliantly. :)

9tnvxw.jpg

Here is good guide for the RF-V16 http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic