Follow Me with Ipad Pro w cellular - doesn't work

Reaction score
I did a search of Follow Me and a bzillion threads on this and the majority are about problems with it (Follow Me)

I have an Ipad Pro with cellular so I know it has GPS capabilities. I live in the desert and I have an unfettered view of the sky, so no issues with lack of satellites above. No trees to block signals.

I head to a remote rode and try out Follow Me. I do all the required steps and get where I have the blue altitude that indicates I can fly but that same screen shows absolutely no gps signal. My version of DJI Go is 3.1.4. Does anyone else with the Ipad have this problem?

I did talk to AppleCare and found that when I turn on Go the gps arrow indicator does appear. And yes Go has permission to access my position.

To be clear, the Go app tells me I should update the FW. After reading about all the horror stories I am very reluctant to update. I read many threads about people not updating and having no problems. Do I have to update? I really don't see how that would affect the lack of a gps signal anyway.

Comments?

the iPad Pro works fine as a device although I've not personally tried 'Follow Me' with mine as I fly with an iPad mini 3 mostly. I agree the firmware update prompt shouldn't be affecting GPS at all.

Let's try isolate -
1. if you fly 'normally' can you confirm normal GPS operation by the Phantom (ie it can see GPS satellites as verified in the DJIGO app)?
2. Does the Compass app work on the IPad pro?
3. Which Phantom are you flying?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

the iPad Pro works fine as a device although I've not personally tried 'Follow Me' with mine as I fly with an iPad mini 3 mostly. I agree the firmware update prompt shouldn't be affecting GPS at all.

Let's try isolate -
1. if you fly 'normally' can you confirm normal GPS operation by the Phantom (ie it can see GPS satellites as verified in the DJIGO app)?
2. Does the Compass app work on the IPad pro?
3. Which Phantom are you flying?

Thanks for the constructive comment, they seem few and far between. To answer your questions:

1. Normal flying thru the IPad works just fine. I've have never had a problem of dropped connection, etc. because of lost GPS connection.
2. If you mean, does the IPad calibrate the compass correctly- yes every time. No problems there.
3. I should have put that I have a P3S in my first post.

This is all very frustrating but on the plus side I sure have fun when I fly normally.

Ok so from your reply
- GPS in general is not the problem, as normal flying fine.
- aside from using the phantom, do apps on the iPad that depend GPS (eg find my phone, or Google maps) work and see GPS satellites?
it's it iPad GPS im trying to make sure is working on its own (to isolate problem)
- could you share a screen capture from your iPad (call out if you don't know how to take one) showing the 'absolutely no GPS', something doesn't sound right here but I can't put my finger on it yet..

(Ps I too am on DJIGO 3.1.4 on iOS, and follow-me works, though I've not used it recently - happy to do so though to figure out your FM problem)

Last edited:
Ok so from your reply
- GPS in general is not the problem, as normal flying fine.
- aside from using the phantom, do apps on the iPad that depend GPS (eg find my phone, or Google maps) work and see GPS satellites?
it's it iPad GPS im trying to make sure is working on its own (to isolate problem)
- could you share a screen capture from your iPad (call out if you don't know how to take one) showing the 'absolutely no GPS', something doesn't sound right here but I can't put my finger on it yet..

(Ps I too am on DJIGO 3.1.4 on iOS, and follow-me works, though I've not used it recently - happy to do so though to figure out your FM problem)

THANKS!!!
Yes, general flying works like a champ.
Good thought. I'm going to turn off WIFi, clear everything that is open and go outside and see if maps and find my phone works.
I'll get back to you very soon. Hope you are around.

A big thanks
First thing I tried was the follow me mode. and guess what it worked. I then came inside to respond that it that it works, went back outside to see if it was a one time occurrence. And it was so I shut everything down and tried it one more time clearing everything off the iPad and going through the same steps I did on the successful flight. Both times were unsuccessful.
I did do a screenshot but I don't know how to get it into this reply. Could really need help with that.
Thanks again

Great so if it worked even once, you know the gear works, it's probably (sorry) just user familiarity or some quirky setting thing. You need to be quite specific in showing or describing exactly what 'unsuccessful' looks like as only you can see this - to avoid us guessing / assuming etc.
To send a picture, to the left of the reply box you type in, you should see a '+' , press that, then you should see three symbols on bottom (from memory they are camera, photo and link. You want to sent a photo - the photo screenshot you have taken on iPad showing the problem. I'm new at this too - hope that description was sufficient

IMG_0157.PNG
OK, I think I have the screenshot thing figured out. Here goes.

Here's something really lame, how do you get in the signature or at the bottom of the post that it came from your iPad

Yep that worked fine [emoji106] Signature I think was a setting under your profile, I'd have to check, can't remember to be honest. We see your GPS signal 'none' now - that hopefully will help track down a cause.. I'll see what I can find out, others should feel free to jump in if have answers.

Update: yes, see three horizontal lines upper left top of screen, tsp there, then signature is set under 'settings, signature' in phantomPilots app.

Last edited:
Wondering if the iPad Pro GPS has to have mobile range to activate? This is obviously separate to the GPS that is read and reflected in the app by the drone. I have the same problem with my iPhone 6+, until I move into mobile range.

Wondering if the iPad Pro GPS has to have mobile range to activate? This is obviously separate to the GPS that is read and reflected in the app by the drone. I have the same problem with my iPhone 6+, until I move into mobile range.
Please explain "mobile range" Thanks

That's very weird but no harm checking everything, Trevek's asking / suggesting to have cell connection on the iPad when you try Follow Me. I'm keen you try another GPS device (your cell phone?) just to find problem - possible?

Reading back through all of this - it's still not 100% to me that that iPad Pro is indeed receiving GPS as it should be, and that I think we are all assuming is, yet the screen capture shows it is not (at that moment anyway).

So I want to focus on that iPad or ask you temporarily replace it with a phone or another borrowed one? Objective - to see GPS working on the iPad (not with phantom, as standalone GPS device that it is - say using a free iOS app that needs GPS like google maps or 'find my phone' or any other you may prefer). Make sense?

That's very weird but no harm checking everything, Trevek's asking / suggesting to have cell connection on the iPad when you try Follow Me. I'm keen you try another GPS device (your cell phone?) just to find problem - possible?

Yep it's weird and doesn't make sense. I live in a very marginal reception area and have no problem loading litchi missions or locking onto the drone using the go app with the house wifi. If I try follow me outside the house I get the same message as the OP with no GPS. If I walk up the driveway and get phone coverage, it works.

Understood thanks - I'm on a P3P & P3A so glad you correctly reminded me OP is flying a P3S as you appear to be too which of course depends on wifi unlike my birds, so my thinking may be off regarding OP problem. Please do continue to offer suggestions Tevek I'm not sure I'm in top of this yet. Cheers

Understood thanks - I'm on a P3P & P3A so glad you correctly reminded me OP is flying a P3S as you appear to be too which of course depends on wifi unlike my birds, so my thinking may be off regarding OP problem. Please do continue to offer suggestions Tevek I'm not sure I'm in top of this yet. Cheers

I've got a P4 that is doing this, no big deal as I use follow me at the beach and somewhere worthwhile to harass the wife. I walked outside earlier to load a map and it works fine purely on GPS with no mobile coverage. For some reason, the follow me mode works only with mobile coverage and I originally thought it was a minimum height issue with the subject being followed, but I have tried it in various areas around the house with varying results. As I said, it's not an issue and I had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread.

Interesting - weird that 'follow me' needs mobile/cell coverage, but if that's so - it may solve OP problem too. Stubblefield, you now have some new things to try / feed back on [emoji106]

OK all, I used my Iphone 5 and it worked properly. On a 2nd test I moved inside my garage and I still had a strong signal.

So my next step is to test it with my wife's Ipad 4. It needs to be charged (at 19%) so it will take awhile.

tevek: I have yet to activate the mobile/cellular portion. Just don't want to right now. Also I want the Ipad to work when I have no cell service at all. I live in an area where service drops off real fast. If my wife's Ipad 4 works, I'll get back on the phone (hopefully) to Apple to see if there is a fix. It seems that Apple tech support doesn't know much about the GPS function. I have an old ASUS tablet that I can turn GPS on or off. Wish the Ipad had that function. BTW the ASUS is too old and DJI Go is not compatible with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl