Foam for motorcycle top box

Reaction score
So I have a plan, but I could use some advice.

I have a Yamaha FJR, a sport touring bike with hard luggage. On the back is a top box.
SBT%20(5).jpg

Here is what the inside of the top box looks like.
7812.jpg

I checked, and the P3 will fit in there. But now it needs to be secured somehow. My thinking is a foam insert I could slide in there. I have the DJI backpack and I could use that over my gear if I had to. But it is one more thing I have to carry around. The top box is lockable and is also removable if I needed to bring it anywhere. Looking for the best way to leave it in there, while having it secured from bouncing around. Advice is welcome.

I plan on putting my DJI Hard Backpack IN my 58L Givi Trekker Outback Top Case (on order). This way the Phantom is in custom fitted foam. The case will still have room around it. I wear a camelbak when I ride and don't want to give that up so this was my solution.

Since I have an ADV bike, I've got alot of extra gear I carry as I ride off-road. Spare tubes, tool roll, jacket liners, towels, food, etc. I plan on putting those things on the sides to fill space. I'll also put the extra layers/clothes under the backpack in the top case and try to make it so its all a snug fit so the hard backpack isn't bouncing around....

You can look into a foam insert similar to what pelican cases have. This lets you 'mold' the foam to your liking.

I was thinking about this the other night with my goldwing! How funny!

I thought about what gklugie mentioned- buy the pack and keep the foam insert. Put that where i want it in the trunk and secure it on all sides to keep it from moving. Not sure what to use but im sure there would be a way to do it.

Nice bike designflaw06!

Saw a pre cut foam insert for a hard case on B&H Photo I think. I have a Nanuk case and the insert is removable so that would serve two functions if you went that route. I have rack on bike. Top box would be nice.

Easy as 1-2-3 !

(cheap too)

1. purchase a ready-made foam lined backpack for only $35

Backpack Bag Carrying Shoulder Case For DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced

2. trash the nylon outer shell

3. fit the foam into your luggage box (you may have to trim a bit .... use electric knife)

I like the way you think. Would have spend about that much on foam anyway and at least this is fit for the Phantom. Dimensions of the bag are very close to the top box. Electric knife is also a good idea. Ordered it. Sounds like it won't arrive until the 1st or 2nd, but that's OK. Vacation is coming next weekend.

I was thinking about this the other night with my goldwing! How funny!

I thought about what gklugie mentioned- buy the pack and keep the foam insert. Put that where i want it in the trunk and secure it on all sides to keep it from moving. Not sure what to use but im sure there would be a way to do it.

Nice bike designflaw06!

I'll let you know how it works out. What Goldwing do you have? My dad has a 1500, I can do a test fit of that foam if you'd like.

08 GL1800. Not sure if there are any differences between the 1500 and 1800. But thanks for checking it out!

Easy as 1-2-3 !
1. purchase a ready-made foam lined backpack for only $35

2. trash the nylon outer shell

3. fit the foam into your luggage box (you may have to trim a bit .... use electric knife)
This is what I plan on doing. I ordered the backpack a few weeks ago, it's on the slow boat.
That's OK though, it will be here before I pull my bike out of hibernation.

Nice FJ! I take my P3 on my Bandit 1250s all the time. I either use the cardboard container it came in or my DJI P3 hardshell backpack. Fits nicely in my Givi E55. It probably won't fit in your top box - but the OEM cardboard box insert should. You can also just use the bottom half. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7266.JPG
    IMG_7266.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_7270.JPG
    IMG_7270.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 372fcfc9-db8c-407c-89b5-1fb8b318432b.jpg
    372fcfc9-db8c-407c-89b5-1fb8b318432b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 578
Good luck.

I lust for a Goldwing. Even an older, earlier Goldwing will do.
Wife says hell no.

Fly safe
Ride safe

Don't even bother with the older ones. My dad has a 1999 1500 SE with all the bells and whistles on it. We test drove the 1800's back in 2008. When he got back on his bike, he thought it felt like piece of junk. The 1800 was leaps and bounds above his in just about every department. Granted, the 1800's have been around for 15 years now, so depends on what your definition of older is.

I rYde a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, and find using the @dji branded hardshell backpack, to be my drone saving grace. ;-)

Frees up the 'frunk'' for carrying any of my other essentials that I may need for the trip.
Now I can also carry my Nikon D800 with Nikkor 80-400mm attached, with me, on my photo hunts, strap the tripod to the back seat handles.

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers