flying with other drones

My buddy and I have been flying together for the last couple days- we call out our altitudes during our flights and also call out if the quads are incoming towards us or outgoing away from us. It’s all about communication.

thanks I use to fly RC planes a long time ago and had to be careful not to be up with someone else on the same signal

That was in the days of AM / FM radios and crystals. We all went through the years of Peg Boards / Frequency Control. Flags on antenna to denote channel colour / number so others knew what you were on.

Todays frequency hopping radios have put all that to the past.

I teach and have flown 10 drones DJI Phantoms and Mavics with no problem. I also film on tv and film sets and have flown up to 5 drones. Additionally most drone racing has up to 5 drones

Reactions: Tenisyn
I am involved in crash testing from time to time. I’ve seen two phantoms and a mavic flying at the same time in the same area for different views. Don’t know it it was supposed to be done but there were no issues.

thanks I use to fly RC planes a long time ago and had to be careful not to be up with someone else on the same signal
that was back in the days when you had to plug in different crystals to get different frequencies now except for the very cheap toys everyone uses digital devices which can alter the connection between transmitter and receiver just using software ( I class firmware as software) I am old enough to remember when we use to fly using homemade transmitters and receivers and just one channel with a clockwork control system where the only thing you sort of controlled was the rudder you had to set the speed before flight by adjusting the engine revs and you landed when you ran out of fuel the control you had was not proportional what you had was once (if) you got into the air you would press the button on the transmitter and the receiver would operate a release which let the clockwork rotate one click which would let the model turn left when you were on the correct heading you pushed the button again which allowed the clockwork to turn to the next position which would be back to straight then if you pushed the button again you would steer right then with the next press back to straight and then back to start the series off again (left,straight, right,straight, left, straight, right, straight) and that was all the control you had over the model until it came back to ground I remember many people running after models that had lost the connection between transmitter and receiver don't let anyone say it was the good old days, a good day was when you went home with most of your model in one piece and your radio system had not burnt up in your hand the radios used the old valves as transistors had not come outside of the labs, people would talk about their dream system which would have 2 or even 3 channel's.

I have flown with one or two other friends in the same air space. Our procedure is to stand close to each other and continuously coordinate our flights. We fly at different altitudes and mostly in separated airspace. Common sense applies. Goal number one is to defeat “Murphy’s Law” that says if a collision can happen, it will. Me take positive responsibility to assure the collision can’t happen.

Ok, I have searched here but havnt come up with an answer, Can two or more drones be flying at the same time in the same area without interfering with the other drone.

yes multiple dji drones can fly at the same time without any issues

do some planning before about who is going to do what when and where

Simple answer is yes, almost as many as you want as they are operating in the 2.4Ghz band and when you "bind" the drone to the RC they are locked together and the drone will only recognise the RC it's bound to. We use same system flying model planes and we';ve had 20+ in the air at the same time.

Last edited:
You do have to be extremely careful , that you do not mix up what drone you think you are flying.

AGREED!
If you have taken your eye off your drone (in a hover, I'm presuming), it's best to toggle the yaw before moving to make sure you're looking at your bird.

Think about the shows, like at SuperBowl where they are flying lots of UAVs in formation and following patterns to put on shows. They don't interfere with each other. I assume DJI uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum where in the frequency band, they use many frequencies spaced close together but changes frequency many times a second such as freq 1-10-6-22-36-etc. When paired the controller and aircraft set up an algorithm unique at that time. other UAVs and controllers have a different pattern and ignore the other aircraft's

Think about the shows, like at SuperBowl where they are flying lots of UAVs in formation and following patterns to put on shows. They don't interfere with each other. I assume DJI uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum where in the frequency band, they use many frequencies spaced close together but changes frequency many times a second such as freq 1-10-6-22-36-etc. When paired the controller and aircraft set up an algorithm unique at that time. other UAVs and controllers have a different pattern and ignore the other aircraft's
There are ways to control multiple devices on a single frequency as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj