flying to the edge of Mist

• Thread starter Deleted member 118536
  • Start date

This is my first time using YouTube built in editor . I dont thinks its for me what do you guys thin

• Total voters
W.V Rootman and i Hope that the Rangers ALSO....keep the Brown Bears from bothering you too L O L !
I was a scout leader for 12 years. Grew up with my grandpap in the mountains at his camp in the middle of nowhere. I never had a problem with bears. I’d talk to them and love watching them. They’d just walk away and do their thing. Just make sure there is no food in your tent, period! One of my boys in the scouts didn’t obey that rule one night. He had a visitor. He screamed bloody terror. We all about had a heart attack. Sure enough there were beat tracks all around his tent. Funny how all the boys after that made sure no one had food in their tents. Lesson learned.
The last bear I saw, was right after I got done flying at Dolly Sod in October. We have them all around my place. They been doing a number on my neighbors beehives resonantly.

Cool video ... also potentially a dangerous one - probably not - but this is depending on where this was shot and a number of other potentials.
First as a fellow Drone Pilot, again it is a cool vid.
But then also as a rated Commerical and Instrument rated pilot I have to cringe a bit. I understand the regs and how these regs have been established to try to allow both to coexist. My concern here is twofold - both “what ifs” - but very valid points regardless...

1st I have personally flown many approaches to minimum in mountainous areas and loved the thrill of doing over 120Kts through the clouds knowing that there were mountains on each side of the plane - more or less boxing me in and forcing me to rely on my GPS or VOR navigation (would never do a mountainous IFR approach using just NDB - but this is another discussion). Regardless I am sure anyone can see where I am going with this - the airport is typically at least 5 miles away when you are descending from the OM to MAP and the MAP in mountainous areas s typically at LEAST 400 feet (ALTHOUGH THIS GOES DOWN TO 200 ft in non-mountainous areas) - Anyway - point is that although I am 99% sure you were NOT anywhere near an approach path and am also 99% sure that most aircraft pilots would not even attempt an approach with ground fog creating 0 viz - I am also sure that I wouldn’t want to test the limits when its also doing the same with another persons life.
Also as a student I would look for these conditions to do my IFR training in - knowing that I would never be able to go visual at minimums (read FAR/AIM cover to cover for more sleepy bedtime reading)

2nd and just as important - if not MORE important is the fact that other eyes are always on here taking notes and thinking to themselves - “oh cool, well if he did it to HERE/This Point,,, then I think I can do a much better shot WAY UP HERE - above the clouds.- whats the harm right? And I am not rated pt 107 so why do I care?.... and this is where the danger lies.
Just because you have the sense not to push the envelope beyond what you know (assuming you know you have no airport close by and wouldn’t have done this if you had (which again is what I would assume - to be fair) - this does not mean that another individual on here is not going to see this that lives remotely outside of a major AFB located around some lower mountainous hills (not too unlike the ones picturd here - Tennessee has a couple so does Georgia, NC and SC). So in this regard - it maks it worth a mention as well. \\

So in summary I would say that the FAA does NOT care whether you know a rule or not (they are not happy until you are not happy;) - they still have the powers to fine or confiscate your drone or worse if it involves the crash of a piloted aircraft, then you are potentially looking at minimum of manslaughter charges - worse if they can prove it was with intent.
This is a new and uncharted privilage we all have to share the skies - just need to make sure we dont mess it up for all of us. It only takes one unfortunate near miss or worse to change this freedom for us all forever.

Just food for thought - maybe a little overdone - but still rich in what matters.
Happy flying, pics and future posts! Looking forward to adding a few in the future as well

Reactions: T3rdEye
Cool video ... also potentially a dangerous one - probably not - but this is depending on where this was shot and a number of other potentials.
First as a fellow Drone Pilot, again it is a cool vid.
But then also as a rated Commerical and Instrument rated pilot I have to cringe a bit. I understand the regs and how these regs have been established to try to allow both to coexist. My concern here is twofold - both “what ifs” - but very valid points regardless...

1st I have personally flown many approaches to minimum in mountainous areas and loved the thrill of doing over 120Kts through the clouds knowing that there were mountains on each side of the plane - more or less boxing me in and forcing me to rely on my GPS or VOR navigation (would never do a mountainous IFR approach using just NDB - but this is another discussion). Regardless I am sure anyone can see where I am going with this - the airport is typically at least 5 miles away when you are descending from the OM to MAP and the MAP in mountainous areas s typically at LEAST 400 feet (ALTHOUGH THIS GOES DOWN TO 200 ft in non-mountainous areas) - Anyway - point is that although I am 99% sure you were NOT anywhere near an approach path and am also 99% sure that most aircraft pilots would not even attempt an approach with ground fog creating 0 viz - I am also sure that I wouldn’t want to test the limits when its also doing the same with another persons life.
Also as a student I would look for these conditions to do my IFR training in - knowing that I would never be able to go visual at minimums (read FAR/AIM cover to cover for more sleepy bedtime reading)

2nd and just as important - if not MORE important is the fact that other eyes are always on here taking notes and thinking to themselves - “oh cool, well if he did it to HERE/This Point,,, then I think I can do a much better shot WAY UP HERE - above the clouds.- whats the harm right? And I am not rated pt 107 so why do I care?.... and this is where the danger lies.
Just because you have the sense not to push the envelope beyond what you know (assuming you know you have no airport close by and wouldn’t have done this if you had (which again is what I would assume - to be fair) - this does not mean that another individual on here is not going to see this that lives remotely outside of a major AFB located around some lower mountainous hills (not too unlike the ones picturd here - Tennessee has a couple so does Georgia, NC and SC). So in this regard - it maks it worth a mention as well. \\

So in summary I would say that the FAA does NOT care whether you know a rule or not (they are not happy until you are not happy;) - they still have the powers to fine or confiscate your drone or worse if it involves the crash of a piloted aircraft, then you are potentially looking at minimum of manslaughter charges - worse if they can prove it was with intent.
This is a new and uncharted privilage we all have to share the skies - just need to make sure we dont mess it up for all of us. It only takes one unfortunate near miss or worse to change this freedom for us all forever.

Just food for thought - maybe a little overdone - but still rich in what matters.
Happy flying, pics and future posts! Looking forward to adding a few in the future as well
screenshot-63-png.109501
Screenshot (64).png

This is my take off point . I flew just to the edge of the fog . never lost VLOS , never entered the FOG . Your first point, very valid as a general statement , but has no bearing on my 6min flight here. It was all smoke and mirrors to get a cool shot.
Having said that your 2nd point is not only valid it hits home with me . someone could see this thinking its cool throw caution to the wind and as you stated … Even though its my most view video I am considering deleting it . Your commit was very well thought out and very well spoken. A possible unintended effect of it is how it might make someone go from loving this as their favorite hobby to wanting to just give it up. It the short time I have owned a drone , It has changed from a awesome , amazing new industry to a point of stress if you own one . what I mean by this is sense the " drone sightings at the two major air port " people that are not familiar with our hobby think maybe we're all up to something . and btw both sighting was only reported by 2 people with no video or photos to back up the calms , they where both > 3500ft with the planes going > 250 mph . Within 2 weeks of the sightings Raytheon announced they have a way to detect and disable drones and are now lobbing for government funds . It has the well faa informed people of this hobby chastising , warning other fellow droners in hope to not have there hobby over regulate, Ruined .In the future you will only be aloud to fly in your own back yard under the tree line with safety glasses and ear protection.
I once did some work for the Flight Simulator Instructor for Delta Airline in Atlanta So I am sure you know your industry's rules and regulation . I can tell from the way you addressed me you are not trying to offended but it seem to care and concern for others while having slightly threating undertone at me . ("better stop or your going get in trouble ") The only thing you did that I didn't like was a rush to judgement !
This forum / post / hobby has turned in a way that's rethink all the money I have put into equipment to enjoy recreation past time .

Relax guys. This is just a small forum. I was just giving my take. Ignore it, chastise it, criticize it, do whatever you like but I wasnt trying to be harsh or critical or give anyone “too much gimbal movement for anyone’s taste” .

Forums are supposed to be an open ended place to express opinions in hopes to help everyone over the long term - or not - some forums are used to incite panick - rest assured this was not the case here.

I wasn’t trying to wreck anyone’s dreams ...or steal their joy ...or bring anything dark and brooding down on ya.
I was honestly just offering a different opinion that wasnt one that I had seen before in this discussion - thats all.

I am also just as concerned about govt taking this right away and is one of the reasons I am cautious to follow the regs and show that at least most of us (yourself included) are not the ones to worry about. Whats more - hopes are that we would in turn “help a brother out” if we saw him doing something dangerous that he didnt know any better on - as opposed to just tearing him down. So again, am on your side. Wasn’t trying to be negative Nellie or instill any kind of judgement or anything that would say “You better do this or else” .
Everyone can now grab a beer, or something stronger if needed and chilllll. Goosefraba. No threats bro. No rush to judgement. Happy flying ...and happy slower gimbal movement? or whatever you need to say to chill. Much bigger fish to fry in a day dude. Dont let this small minnow ruin yours, As a matter of fact - Refer to me as “little minnow” from now on if it helps you feel better - I dont mind at all.
- Little Minnow out. (Mic drop)

Relax guys. This is just a small forum. I was just giving my take. Ignore it, chastise it, criticize it, do whatever you like but I wasnt trying to be harsh or critical or give anyone “too much gimbal movement for anyone’s taste” .

Forums are supposed to be an open ended place to express opinions in hopes to help everyone over the long term - or not - some forums are used to incite panick - rest assured this was not the case here.

I wasn’t trying to wreck anyone’s dreams ...or steal their joy ...or bring anything dark and brooding down on ya.
I was honestly just offering a different opinion that wasnt one that I had seen before in this discussion - thats all.

I am also just as concerned about govt taking this right away and is one of the reasons I am cautious to follow the regs and show that at least most of us (yourself included) are not the ones to worry about. Whats more - hopes are that we would in turn “help a brother out” if we saw him doing something dangerous that he didnt know any better on - as opposed to just tearing him down. So again, am on your side. Wasn’t trying to be negative Nellie or instill any kind of judgement or anything that would say “You better do this or else” .
Everyone can now grab a beer, or something stronger if needed and chilllll. Goosefraba. No threats bro. No rush to judgement. Happy flying ...and happy slower gimbal movement? or whatever you need to say to chill. Much bigger fish to fry in a day dude. Dont let this small minnow ruin yours, As a matter of fact - Refer to me as “little minnow” from now on if it helps you feel better - I dont mind at all.
- Little Minnow out. (Mic drop)

Your alil inconsistent in your moods come relax by my Waterfall and gather your thoughts . I don't have a mic to drop , but peace fellow droner

It’s actually 500’ NOT 400’ for being grounded as you need to stay 500’ below the clouds.
The slant distance is in reference to the minimum 3 mile visibility needed to see and avoid manned aircraft.
If you have cloud layer with base of 500’ or less NOT directly above you, you can fly as long as your sUAS keeps 2000’ horizontal distance from clouds.
And for the non 107 rules (hobbyists rules) where you cannot fly in clouds here it is
View attachment 109427
If you are in the clouds or above (and this is very dangerous as VFR manned aircraft also have the same cloud distance requirements of sUAS along with 1000’ above clouds which doesn’t apply to sUAS as we are limited to 400’) you are breaking this rule and possibly putting lives in danger.
No. If you fly 100' underground, you can meet the 500' required. It's simple math, really.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Before making a Fuss about FAA >400ft please read YouTube Description

Thank you all very much for your support n Thanks for watching !!
You gotta keep that gimbal from moving so much. Other than that, it was really cool to watch.

IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg

Same mountain same take off point from the video . Its on Fire I took this with my phone today .
It odd the smoke is in the same place the fog was I filmed a few weeks ago {:4_167:}

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Nice ghostly clip,,yes I done few above low could in hills ,nearly got lost once , drone came back all wet from mist or moisture in the air so not done for a while,
Yip watched few of your clips good work , keep it up
I did a too close up of my waterfall and got my drone alil moist

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.