Flying the Big Island

Reaction score
I am off to the Big Island in Hawaii in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has some special tips of good and safe spots to fly. (I’m not inclined to mess with Kilauea right now but open to suggestions there if people have any that are safe and legal.)

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
You can fly to over 14000 ft there. The summit of Mauna Kea is ~13800 + 400 gets you over 14000 ft.
I think the ceiling is about 19000 so it should do it. But I guess you would have to check in with the observatory.

Reactions: phill45
You can fly to over 14000 ft there. The summit of Mauna Kea is ~13800 + 400 gets you over 14000 ft.
I think the ceiling is about 19000 so it should do it. But I guess you would have to check in with the observatory.

If it really alowed to fly there, that's wound be a great place.

I am off to the Big Island in Hawaii in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has some special tips of good and safe spots to fly. (I’m not inclined to mess with Kilauea right now but open to suggestions there if people have any that are safe and legal.)
Darn, I'll be there later this week, I would have met up with you.

I'm originally from Oahu, but traveled to the Big Island often. Couple of suggestions, First and foremost, be mindful of the cultural sensitivities, i.e. sacred sites. There are several on the Big Island, but most are marked. Secondly, don't leave anything, especially your drone bag in your vehicle unattended, even in the trunk. I've seen people break into vehicles at tourist spots and be gone in less than 20 seconds.

DM me, I can put you in touch with my cousin as well if you're on the Hilo side of the island.

HI State Park Drone Laws

One more thing, use a launch pad or something. The sand, especially the black sand, is partly magnetic and is difficult to remove from motors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4