Flying over water

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a professional photographer, had my P$P v2 for about a year. I've been wanting to get some shots flying over water and have done so a little, but I have to admit it makes me nervous. What tips can you provide to ensure a safe flight and great photos and video. I live near Lake Michigan so would consider that but so far just small inland lades and ponds. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: 3rdof5
Hello all. I'm a professional photographer, had my P$P v2 for about a year. I've been wanting to get some shots flying over water and have done so a little, but I have to admit it makes me nervous. What tips can you provide to ensure a safe flight and great photos and video. I live near Lake Michigan so would consider that but so far just small inland lades and ponds. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
My first flight over water made me very nervous, my hands were shaking. But relax it's very safe. Clear view both visually and radio wise so all is well. Do a good preflight check and start with a fully charged, trustworthy battery and enjoy. She will come home ;)

Bought my bird October 2018, got my ParaZero parachute January 2019 and have always flown with it. Safety has always been #1 on my checklist. I have kids and all grown up now, but if a drone were to hurt them at young age I would possibly lose it. That’s why I got ParaZero parachute, NO, I am not affiliated with them in any way.
At this moment I’m in Gulf of Mexico in Sanibel island without my chute ( first time since January 2019) and not a worry over water. Relax and enjoy.
Here’s a couple of pics
DJI_0026.jpg
DJI_0019.jpg

You won’t crash no faster over water than over land.
Is just easier to get to if you can on land. I’m over water more than land we have so much water here and you get used to it. Just be comfortable flying and don’t panic if
for whatever reason the app crashes you know what to do.
( Have been lucky I guess and never had that to happen with
any of mine cept the FC40 )
mmmmmmmmmm
now why do I have the feelin

Welcome to The Forum from Florida. I've seen conflicting reports on whether to leave the sensors on or off over water. I leave mine on, on my P4. I have not tried my P4P yet over water. On, Seems to work good while under way, say 3ft above water, the only problems seem to be hovering. I would take yours over the water's edge and hover at 3ft with sensors on or off and see if it slowly drops, then decide which works best for your drone. Good luck, I love water too.
Capt
If flying high, leave them on.

Sounds familiar. My first time over water was also scary. At 150 feet altitude, i idn't know I was "that far out" over a lake since I had trees between the lake and myself. I panned down to see if I was still on the edge and nearly panicked when I saw I was about 100 feet from shore. My P4 didn't care!
This week I was flying about 6 feet over water when it started to decent at an alarming rate. I immediately gained altitude and will never fly that low with the sensors on. I had read they get confused sometimes due to reflections. I think that was what happened.
There is something about photos and videos of the shore line from the water that I love....at altitude!

The first time I was so nervous... Because of where I live (Eastern Canada), I fly over water 75% of the time. Not nervous anymore. I thought of installing a parachute system but totally useless above water anyway. My advice is do a visual inspection of your drone before you take off. Make sure the props are solid in place and the battery is fully engaged in. I love my P4 Pro. Check out my videos above water on my channel; SuperdanTech. Good luck!

Attachments

• Ottawa Canada2_pp_edited-1.jpg
    Ottawa Canada2_pp_edited-1.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Islands of Kamouraska_pp_edited-1.jpg
    Islands of Kamouraska_pp_edited-1.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 186
Welcome to The Forum from Florida. I've seen conflicting reports on whether to leave the sensors on or off over water. I leave mine on, on my P4. I have not tried my P4P yet over water. On, Seems to work good while under way, say 3ft above water, the only problems seem to be hovering. I would take yours over the water's edge and hover at 3ft with sensors on or off and see if it slowly drops, then decide which works best for your drone. Good luck, I love water too.
Capt
If flying high, leave them on.
I've heard that they can start changing altitudes on their own less than 3' over water which could lead to trouble. I was flying over a pond the other day at probably 15' then the P4P started going in and out of ATTI mode and climbing on its own. I returned to land right away to be on the safe side. it was acting completely normal earlier over land only. I've also read that bottom facing vsp sensors should be off over water.

Reactions: Capt KO
The first time I was so nervous... Because of where I live (Eastern Canada), I fly over water 75% of the time. Not nervous anymore. I thought of installing a parachute system but totally useless above water anyway. My advice is do a visual inspection of your drone before you take off. Make sure the props are solid in place and the battery is fully engaged in. I love my P4 Pro. Check out my videos above water on my channel; SuperdanTech. Good luck!
awesome shots! do you leave your downward facing sensors on during flight over water? I guess at higher altitude its not an issue, I have heard lower altitudes it can cause problems.

I have no idea how sensors could be different from one drone to the next, even the same model. But I am certain that they all have personalities. Some, even gremlins. My P4 leaves the boat, down sensors On, all good. Guy next to me with P4 has to turn them Off or it slowly drops. Go figure. As stated, It’s only a problem at low altitude. Trial and (hope) not error. Have fun, fly safe, stay high. ?

Reactions: aneal321
All the above and watch the wind and battery usage. It might be at the back as a tail wind going out but against the AC coming back and using up battery.
Other than that enjoy its fun. Folks on board point and are amazed to see a drone out there

Another thing to consider is the wind angle and speed. Flying downwind going out could lead you to have too little battery to fly back against the wind. The drone cannot warn you if you are in that situation.

It is a mystery where this fear of flying over water came from.
The only difference is that you probably will not be able to get the drone if it by any reason falls down. It will be a crack if it falls down on the land anyway so the final result is practically the same.
Well, there is a difference only if the fall was due to the malfunction of the system. Having no drone you won't be able to get the other one from DJI.
The so called issues of sensors inaccuracy over water can be of some relevance only if you fly very low that is a few feet over the water. But it probably will not go into the water by itself. Probably it may not react properly to the water surface as an obstacle and prevent landing. But this would be a pilot error anyway.
For me flying over water is even easier as there are usually no obstacles like trees, power lines, antenna towers, etc.

Reactions: MTO and aneal321
It took me a while to build the confidence I needed to fly over water but, today most of my flights are over water. If you don't feel confident then don't fly over water. It may take some time to build trust in the technology and yourself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.