Flying over water

The motors will get to 90 to 103 degrees on a very very hot day, but no worries they motors are rated for 400 degrees, overheating is not an issue for those motors . We fly over the water almost everyday and we have never had any issues , and we try to fly as close to the water as possible to gain some momentum shots of a nice sweep up.

You can see are videos at phantomrain.org This is - 6 degrees over the lake skimming and sweeping, GPS remains sold.

Where did you come up with 400 degrees? This is insane.

According to my 30+ years in RC's, 160-180 degrees is about all you really want. If higher something is off and magnet damage might occur.

Where did you come up with 400 degrees? This is insane.

According to my 30+ years in RC's, 160-180 degrees is about all you really want. If higher something is off and magnet damage might occur.
That is the threshold for the Aluminum that is used on the motors , that is all.
This is the reason why aluminum is used because of its ability to withstand heat, nothing to do with flying your drone just the threshold mark for the motors .

When we engineered the Phantomrain Wet Suits we were concerned with extra 10 degrees of heat that was provided to the motors from being protected until we spoke with the DJI Engineering team and are fears were put to rest.

DJI explained the extreme temps that the motors can run fine on. So that was are leaning curve, and so the 10 degrees was nothing of concern even on 108 degree day when were filming the Totality eclipse in TN , after 2 hours the motors were at 115 degrees no problems at all.
Again sorry for the confusion.
Phatomrain.org
coal

That is the threshold for the Aluminum that is used on the motors , that is all.
This is the reason why aluminum is used because of its ability to withstand heat, nothing to do with flying your drone just the threshold mark for the motors .

When we engineered the Phantomrain Wet Suits we were concerned with extra 10 degrees of heat that was provided to the motors from being protected until we spoke with the DJI Engineering team and are fears were put to rest.

DJI explained the extreme temps that the motors can run fine on. So that was are leaning curve, and so the 10 degrees was nothing of concern even on 108 degree day when were filming the Totality eclipse in TN , after 2 hours the motors were at 115 degrees no problems at all.
Again sorry for the confusion.
Phatomrain.org
coal

Actually aluminum is used to dissipate heat.

400 degrees is no where near the threshold of the motor. There is a lot more inside and around a motor besides aluminum.

An RC motor would self destruct before it even got close to 400 degrees.

You guys are engineers?

Edit: DJI told you guys 400 degrees was the threshold?

No they gave us all kind of spec sheets, right down to the **** decimal points but getting back to the question that was asked. The guy had concern about the motors being hot to the touch, just wanted to reassure him that they would not melt being that we kept measuring the heat of the motors for a few months and that they are hot to the touch.

Reactions: Helihover
Mmmm... not to hijack this thread but quick question?

Will that “wet suit” allow landing in water or is it just for flying in light precipitation?

Like the appearance!

Thanks

Mmmm... not to hijack this thread but quick question?

Will that “wet suit” allow landing in water or is it just for flying in light precipitation?

Like the appearance!

Thanks

So if you your drone goes into the water without a wetsuit you have about 5 seconds before the drone flips upside down , however with the Phantom Rain Wet Suit you can be in the water about 15 seconds giving you a bit more time to get the drone out of the water if you go in by accident.

Those extra few seconds can make a big difference. Hope that helps You might get a better idea of what the Wet Suit is capable of by watching the Torrential Down Pour video which was 26 minutes in the pouring rain and exceptional example of how well the Wet Suit protects the drone from incoming water.

Phantomrain.org
Thank you
Coal

I fly over water nearly half the time as I live in the NH Lakes Region. Normally, I am at least 30' above the water. Sometimes, I am lower, but always, I am within VLOS (of the drone, not just the airspace). This enables "pilot's eyes" to become the effective altimeter NOT any sensors within the drone. No problems so far.

Actually aluminum is used to dissipate heat.

400 degrees is no where near the threshold of the motor. There is a lot more inside and around a motor besides aluminum.

An RC motor would self destruct before it even got close to 400 degrees.

You guys are engineers?

Edit: DJI told you guys 400 degrees was the threshold?

Class H insulated motors can withstand 356 deg F

If you are close to the surface lets say under 10 feet, when you accelerate hard the craft tends to loose some altitude so make sure you don't ski on the surface.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20