Flying over 400ft Altitude with my P3S? o.O

I'd put money on that being the Los Angeles basin - so many movies from the 80's had a similar shot :) LOVE it

Some cities look different and you can tell for sure. Just from the skyline. That looks like a giant burb.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd put money on that being the Los Angeles basin - so many movies from the 80's had a similar shot :) LOVE it
That's what I was thinking. I never flown into LAX or any airports in calif, but I have watched tv, and that looks like LA or something like it.

Ahh ****, and I'm in Texas! Shows what I know LOL

I hear from the locals this has been a crappy winter for Texas, but being from Missouri, I'm not sure we're takin about the same thing when we say bad winter. My phone say its 71 here right now. Seems pretty sweet to me.

I hear from the locals this has been a crappy winter for Texas, but being from Missouri, I'm not sure we're takin about the same thing when we say bad winter. My phone say its 71 here right now. Seems pretty sweet to me.
Yea we are pretty soft when it comes to cold weather. If we even see thirties in the forecast it's like a blizzard to us. We can handle the 100 degree heat with tons of humidity though, it's amazing what you can get accustomed to.

sure is amazing. Its been over a 100 for weeks at a time in Kansas city, and its been below zero for weeks too. This is the first winter I've spent down here. I think I like it!

I took this pic from the maximum 500 metre height. That's 1,640 feet. Didn't fly around, just straight up from my property. I'm 50km to the nearest airport and surrounded by nothing but bush and farmers fields. Scanned around for a few minutes taking pictures then straight down. Doubt I would want to fly around at that height, it is too hard to predict the winds that high compared to ground level. Those lights you see in the distance in the upper right of the pic is a small city (50,000-ish population) and is 20km (12 miles) away.

DJI_0030b.jpg

I took this pic from the maximum 500 metre height. That's 1,640 feet. Didn't fly around, just straight up from my property. I'm 50km to the nearest airport and surrounded by nothing but bush and farmers fields. Scanned around for a few minutes taking pictures then straight down. Doubt I would want to fly around at that height, it is too hard to predict the winds that high compared to ground level. Those lights you see in the distance in the upper right of the pic is a small city (50,000-ish population) and is 20km (12 miles) away.

View attachment 42662
I wonder if you could spot game, specifically deer, me being a bow hunter. I don't think I would ever use it for that, but there have been mornings, sittin in my stand, not seeing anything, that I might be of a different opinion. Seems like you could even guide them in the right direction too. Naw, don't think that way.

I wonder if you could spot game, specifically deer, me being a bow hunter. I don't think I would ever use it for that, but there have been mornings, sittin in my stand, not seeing anything, that I might be of a different opinion. Seems like you could even guide them in the right direction too. Naw, don't think that way.

This time a year when the trees are bare you could totally spot deer. 400ft would be plenty for that, then fly down to just above the tree tops for a closer look. I'm not a hunter though, so I'd just be doing it for some good pictures.

I don't think I'd ever use it for that. I hunted with a rifle for years, but if I saw one, I could kill one. Then I went to a bow, thinkin they would have at least a chance. It would be an unfair advantage to hunt with a drone chasing animals towards you. It just popped into my mind, looking at the terrain in your video. Looked like excellent deer hunting country.

That's pretty impressive going that high. How long did it take you to reach that altitude ?

I don't think I'd ever use it for that. I hunted with a rifle for years, but if I saw one, I could kill one. Then I went to a bow, thinkin they would have at least a chance. It would be an unfair advantage to hunt with a drone chasing animals towards you. It just popped into my mind, looking at the terrain in your video. Looked like excellent deer hunting country.

Yeah we regularly see plenty of deer wild turkeys. I'm actually taking an archery course at the end of the month, though I doubt I will hunt, well maybe turkey. Hypothetically do you think a deer would be spooked enough by a drone flying above the treetops to actually be herded towards a hunter? I suppose if a person was the kind of ******* that would hunt this way they would add a noise making device to their drone.

That's pretty impressive going that high. How long did it take you to reach that altitude ?

Not very long at all. Checking the Flight Record in the DJI-GO app it took about 1 min 45 sec to go from 120 m (400 ft) to 500 m (1,640 ft). Coming down seemed to take a lot longer as it ascends faster than it descends.

I think they would be spooked if you got close enough and low enough. Deer spend their time looking at the ground, looking for food. Every once in a while they eat leaves off a tree, or twigs if its winter. The only sure way to spook them is sound. Their hearing is unbelievable, so the sound of the drone would affect them. And turkeys are a ***** to kill compared to deer. I've had arrows glance off turkeys. If you don't aim for the body, and hit it square, your chances are nil of killing it. A lot of guys get these huge broad heads called guillotines. They go for the head hoping to lop it off at the neck. I never had any luck with it. What ever you shoot at, just make sure its within 60 yards.

Agreed. My first was the Syma X8C. Crashed hard once or twice, only broke the prop gaurd. Had it for 2-3 weeks then bought my P3S. People told me practice with Cheap drones first...it was about 129.99 at the time, had FPV but would quickly start lagging heavy about 80-100 ft out. First time flying P3S CAKE WALK! It Felt like my Syma had training wheels! I have about 200+ logged flights and have not crashed once.

P.s. I took my P3S 1150ft (with spotters) just to be in the clouds for a few sec and came down. Practical? Egh, but very cool tho
Man, those must have been HARD crashes because my Syma which you can get the S5SC (no fpv) for like $50-$60 now and I have crashed it doing tricks and stuff about 30x literally. I also got it caught in a tree, climbed the tree and through a rock at it until it fell and it must have failed like 80 feet (not kidding). Thats when I burned the motor trying to run it while it was stuck in the tree but the motors are only like $4 so I tried soldering one on and it worked. Couldn't believe it!

My guess is you operate under a "contractor" umbrella. Probably a DBA kind of set-up.
I was wondering how they can offer the exemption. Pay them for the class and in 120 can do it commercially. Incredible.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic