Flying Near Fireworks

Reaction score
Sounds like a terrible idea, but I know someone has done it. Anybody got any footage?

Where I live, we usually have fireworks from dusk on pretty much everywhere around us. We live in a very wet location so nobody really worries too much. I plan on taking my phantom up tomorrow in my yard to catch some from a distance.

Happy 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, wondering how high they get, so i can be on top?

They'll be tiny from a distance. You need to get up fairly close.

Last year, I did my first night flight to film some local fireworks. Didn't want to brave my V+, so I used a P2V. If it crashed, it was a spare so no harm done. Results below - I was about 100-150' away (30-50m). Excuse the wobbliness int he clip as the P2V has no stabilisation. All settings were auto as well, hence the noise.

If I was you, I'd practice tonight looking for the appropriate settings and see what suits, but you'll need to get up close I think.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did a job a while back. I talked to the pyro tech. prior to the show. He told me where they will be & where to stay away from. I also asked how high. Some of the large ones were well over 500-600 feet when they gave their report. If you do it, just be careful & you will get some fantastic images & video.

Reactions: ctp

I did a job a while back. I talked to the pyro tech. prior to the show. He told me where they will be & where to stay away from. I also asked how high. Some of the large ones were well over 500-600 feet when they gave their report. If you do it, just be careful & you will get some fantastic images & video.
Will do Larry is just neighbors fire works, you know how it is in TX, got a field close by maybe will be my best bet go 300 ft and yaw slow to get some 360 of them
Have a happy 4

Tonite I got straight over fireworks at lake. This pix shows what it looks like coming up at you. I soon moved higher above 650ft and a little to edge.
Pretty exciting when they pass by on way up but not best picture angle.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435998309.650706.jpg

Here's my video from tonight. I didn't want to get any closer, but was still probably 1/4th a mile away.

Reactions: tvckz
- 3 to 4 inch shells travel to about 300 - 400 feet.

- 5-6 inch shells travel 400 - 600 feet

- 8 inch shells travel 800 -1000 feet

- 10 - 12 inch shells travel 1000 - 1300 feet.

Here's my video from tonight. I didn't want to get any closer, but was still probably 1/4th a mile away.

Congratulations first of all. I know that music )) it makes me sick, I d better mute it. You are flying at safe distance and that is why I liked it ))

Like it a lot just for safe distance. Man likes his copter.

I'm not trying to get footage of fireworks in our area tonight as the weather is rather rainy this weekend. It seems that this is one area that figuring out how to do a synced audio recording (perhaps just with a phone) and adding that back into the final video would be really good. Fireworks seem to need the "boom" even if there's other music laid over the video.

Chris

Keep the ISO around 100-200 and 1-1.3 second exposure. You can get close but beware of the shells flying. Farther away is more epic in my opinion, more scenic. In my pics you can see the reflection in the river

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436024063.769667.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436024087.786212.jpg

I wondered this myself. Consumer fireworks can reach up to heights of 400-700 feet. While Professional fireworks can reach up to 1,500 ft.. A difference of 1" shells and 12" shells. I can guarantee nobody around your neighborhood will have 12" shells. But, any city show will have 12" so on a professional level don't even try to flew above or in the firework show as it puts many people and your quad in danger. I read an article that agencies will be cracking down on this because one of those 12" shells could hit the quad causing it to redirect towards a crowd of people. Very true and very possible so don't take a risk unless you want to be out of a quad, sued and put in jail.

These were taken 440 m (1450 ft) away and 44 m (140 ft) up.
When in photo mode, you press the settings button under the shutter button. I kept my shots at 100 ISO and between 1.3 and 5 second shutter.

Congratulations first of all. I know that music )) it makes me sick, I d better mute it. You are flying at safe distance and that is why I liked it ))

Like it a lot just for safe distance. Man likes his copter.

Jeez, 2nd post today slamming our country - Sorry ya feel that way.....

I love it here!

Reactions: Marlin009
These were taken 440 m (1450 ft) away and 44 m (140 ft) up.
When in photo mode, you press the settings button under the shutter button. I kept my shots at 100 ISO and between 1.3 and 5 second shutter.

Love the pix. Question. Whenever I do longer exposure or AEB shots, I lose the video feed. Does that also happen to you?

Sounds like a terrible idea, but I know someone has done it. Anybody got any footage?

Where I live, we usually have fireworks from dusk on pretty much everywhere around us. We live in a very wet location so nobody really worries too much. I plan on taking my phantom up tomorrow in my yard to catch some from a distance.

This is a classic.

see what happens at 2:27 ish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.