Flying Location / City living / You?

Reaction score
This probably isn't the best place to ask " should I buy a P3" Obviously that's why we're all here...to enjoy these great quads...

But before I purchase...I might re-think.
I live right in the city...very congested. Lots of trees and wires...houses all crammed together on every street

Yeah I can drive a ways to get to a park ...but maybe I should just stick with small indoor flyers....
If I still live in west Michigan, I would have tons of wide-open areas.....

Where do you guys spend most of your time flying?

I'm a new flyer, however I'm strictly flying in wide open fields at the moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure you can fly in more built up areas as you become more confident, but learning to fly well in a busy area seems like a recipe for breaking your drone very quickly.

Whenever I fly I'm reminded of this video:

The guy starts off in a very open area and quickly finds that he's misjudged how the drone flies in strong winds, mixed with a whole bunch of newbie mistakes, he finds himself in a lot of trouble.

Reactions: tobeallque
You should look at some maps that show restricted/controlled airspace. Usually metropolitan areas are close
to airports, and some have restrictions solely because of urban environment. (ie: Manhattan, NY) Local restrictions
might also be in place. If you're not allowed to fly, then a Quadcopter like the Phantom 3 is always a 'special trip'
to operate. Not saying this is a bad thing, just a consideration. Since I've had my P3, it has 'inspired' me to go out
and find interesting places to fly and photograph, so flying in my backyard doesn't really happen anymore.

Here is a starter resource, but not 'the rule' for no fly zones: Don't Fly Drones Here

P3 is definitely not for indoor flying, look for open spaces around and I'm sure you can find a place to fly it

Thank you for your thinking and planning ahead for the what If's. You always want to think safety and that what you are doing. If it a task to be able to fly then you are probably right in thinking of a small unit you can fly indoors but there are some small units that wil do well in a back yard if the wind is down. The Phantom is not any good unless to if you have the area and space to safely fly in and do your videos and photos. I would spend the money for one if I was restricted to a 100x100 ft area. Good thinking!

I'm sure you can fly in more built up areas as you become more confident, but learning to fly well in a busy area seems like a recipe for breaking your drone very quickly.

The guy starts off in a very open area and quickly finds that he's misjudged how the drone flies in strong winds, mixed with a whole bunch of newbie mistakes, he finds himself in a lot of trouble.
What was the windage on that particular day?

I live in Portland. Mainly fly at a soccer field or a small park.. its very congested here as well. I love my P3P

This probably isn't the best place to ask " should I buy a P3" Obviously that's why we're all here...to enjoy these great quads...

But before I purchase...I might re-think.
I live right in the city...very congested. Lots of trees and wires...houses all crammed together on every street

Yeah I can drive a ways to get to a park ...but maybe I should just stick with small indoor flyers....
If I still live in west Michigan, I would have tons of wide-open areas.....

Where do you guys spend most of your time flying?
Mike, if you have never flown before it's highly advisable to get a small indoor trainer first anyway. Mastering reverse orientation navigation is something that takes a newbie a while to learn, and I'd never suggest you spend $1000+ on a craft if you don't have that mastered yet.

You should never fly a Phantom class drone in the city, there are too many wifi signals that hinder things, as well as the liability of you causing harm to person and property being high. Phantom class drones need open space. I live in SoCalif. It's not like New York City of course, but I have dozens of places within 5miles that are safe to fly where no people are nearby. There are lots of mountain bike trails in the hills, large parks (on cold days), and lake/ocean areas flying over water and coastlines.

If you live in an area that looks like New York city, and you're not willing to drive to a safe place to fly, the answer is DON'T buy a Phantom, it's not appropriate for the city. If you want an indestructible indoor flyer/trainer, I like the Inductrix. If you learn to fly one of these without running into things, you'll be ready for Phantom someday.

The cat will like this too.
upload_2015-12-30_10-41-27.png

thanks... I have parks and and places I could drive to in about an hour...but that sort of makes it something I think might wear-off after a while. I could see myself not using it too much after the newness wore off

The second video isn't mine - it's just something I found on youtube and it's scared me ever since!

I REALLY like this web site: UAV Weather Forecast

This will give you forecasted wind speeds for day light hours for up to 24 hours. It gives you all the parameters (adjustable)
required to qualify safe flying conditions. I set the wind altitude parameter for 300 ft when I go to fly. The winds can be only
8 mph at ground level, but quickly pick up speed at altitude, which is what this video showed us. Yikes!

Wind speeds on typical weather sources are taken at airports close to ground level. If you're flying under 30ft that's ok,
but if you're going up, make sure the winds aloft are cooperating. This web site has shut my flying down a few times,
but I still have a Phantom 3, so I'm good with it!

I REALLY like this web site: UAV Weather Forecast

This will give you forecasted wind speeds for day light hours for up to 24 hours. It gives you all the parameters (adjustable)
required to qualify safe flying conditions. I set the wind altitude parameter for 300 ft when I go to fly. The winds can be only
8 mph at ground level, but quickly pick up speed at altitude, which is what this video showed us. Yikes!

Wind speeds on typical weather sources are taken at airports close to ground level. If you're flying under 30ft that's ok,
but if you're going up, make sure the winds aloft are cooperating. This web site has shut my flying down a few times,
but I still have a Phantom 3, so I'm good with it!

Oh wow, that website is great. I guess flying is a no-no tomorrow then!

thanks... I have parks and and places I could drive to in about an hour...but that sort of makes it something I think might wear-off after a while. I could see myself not using it too much after the newness wore off
That's pretty tough, I think you're right. I'm lucky to be close to open areas to fly. If you ever move out of the city I know what you'll be thinking. Yeehaw!

There would have to have been a constant breeze in excess of 30 mph to cause this type of issue. Looking at the visible trees on the video, it didn't seem that bad. I've flown with gusts over 30 mph (not advised btw), and didn't have issues close to this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.