Flying Litchi waypoints past remote range

If you are using both apps. Isn't the smart RTH info from go app programed in the phantom? How else would it know to RTH if you lose communication between the phantom and controller?

Sent from my tinfoil hat

Hum,

I guess your thinking the the Phantom will RTH when it looses the remote control signal.

and

@wmcvey is saying you don't need to because Litchi is in control.

Sorry I don't know the answer, haven't tried Litchi, but I like questions and answers :rolleyes:

Rod

If you are using both apps. Isn't the smart RTH info from go app programed in the phantom? How else would it know to RTH if you lose communication between the phantom and controller?

Sent from my tinfoil hat
Because that option is also in the Litchi app.

Reactions: RodPad
:)
Got it!,
Just don't have DJI's app open, for that and many more.

Rod

One more question. If you disable the smart RTH in Litchi for a mission, do you need to reset it when you use go again?

Sent from my tinfoil hat
Let me correct something, and it might be my fault. When I said "is also in the Litchi app" what I meant was the RTH when signal is lost, because that's what you were asking about. But that's different from "smart RTH" which has to do with battery % and when the drone thinks it's time to return home. That is set in the Go app only.

Last edited:
Not using the Go APP. Planned and flown using Litchi. worked out perfectly. Only problem I have now, is my computer wont connect "see" my P3S when connected to get the pics/video off of it.
Take the card out of your Phantom and put it in a card reader connected to your computer. Typically faster transfer speeds. All the pro photographers I know ALWAYS use a card reader and never connect their camera to the computer.

Let me correct something, and it might be my fault. When I said "is also in the Litchi app" what I meant was the RTH when signal is lost, because that's what you were asking about. But that's different from "smart RTH" which has to do with battery % and when the drone thinks it's time to return home. That is set in the Go app only.
Sorry my fault. I used the wrong terminology.

Sent from my tinfoil hat

If I have both apps on my tablet, I need to turn off RTH in Go before Litchi mission?

New guy here. I have purchased Litchi but haven't used it yet.
Thanks

Sent from my tinfoil hat
You don't need to turn off RTH. You need to turn off Smart RTH if the mission is going to go far out of range in some cases or if your mission is going to take a lot of time. Here are two examples:

1. I flew a 2+ mile, one way, very slow flight mission. If I had Smart RTH turned on, the bird would have returned home (or tried to) before it reached the endpoint. Because of the distance, it actually had to be planned as round trip even though I had no intention of letting it try to fly the entire thing (due to the requirement that no two waypoints can be more than 2000m apart, including the first and last ones). If I had Smart RTH on, it would have "realized" that it didn't have enough battery to complete the mission and it would have tried to return home.

2. I was flying a large block of land in a pattern, taking downward-facing photos to put together in a large single photo. I had 76 waypoints. Fly, stop, take photo, etc. Somewhere around waypoint 34 or so, Smart RTH kicked in because it "knew" it didn't have enough battery to hit all the waypoints. Even though the homepoint was extremely close by, it kicked in (I'd forgotten to turn it off). I landed, put in a new battery, deleted the first 33 waypoints and started again. It ran the remaining waypoints just fine. If I'd turned off Smart RTH on the first flight, it would have run the entire mission and come back to me with no more than a low battery.

Take the card out of your Phantom and put it in a card reader connected to your computer. Typically faster transfer speeds. All the pro photographers I know ALWAYS use a card reader and never connect their camera to the computer.
Faster Yes, but is the a problem because of Litichi?

Rod

Faster Yes, but is the a problem because of Litichi?

Rod
Hmmm....I guess it's possible but I'm thinking not. I say that because Litchi resides on the device (phone/tablet) and not on the bird. Even though it uploads instructions to the bird, the instructions are most likely in the Phantom's RAM only, meaning those changes go away once it's turned off. Therefore, I see no way they could affect connecting and seeing the card when connected to a computer. I could be wrong (as my wife would say, "And you probably ARE").

Hmmm....I guess it's possible but I'm thinking not. I say that because Litchi resides on the device (phone/tablet) and not on the bird. Even though it uploads instructions to the bird, the instructions are most likely in the Phantom's RAM only, meaning those changes go away once it's turned off. Therefore, I see no way they could affect connecting and seeing the card when connected to a computer. I could be wrong (as my wife would say, "And you probably ARE").
Aren't they talking file transfer of the pics and videos on the SC card, that's not RAM.

Aren't they talking file transfer of the pics and videos on the SC card, that's not RAM.
Yes, they are talking about file transfer. My thought is that because the mission is uploaded to RAM and not a firmware change to the drone, that I don't see how that would affect a computer recognizing the files when trying to transfer them to the computer.

Just a note... that first flight out past range will seem like it takes a hour to come back. That is, every second will feel like a minute. :)
Never heard someone say to turn "Smart RTH" off in the Go app before flying a Litchi mission, why would you need to do this. I never have.
I'm confused lol I flew my first out of range waypoint mission with litchi today and had never heard of the turn of rth upon signal loss option in go app first. I was without signal for close to 30 seconds and it just continued to fly the mission.

Reactions: Pharm
I'm confused lol I flew my first out of range waypoint mission with litchi today and had never heard of the turn of rth upon signal loss option in go app first. I was without signal for close to 30 seconds and it just continued to fly the mission.
No, the Smart RTH is for low battery %, nothing to do with signal loss.

Reactions: Pharm
No, the Smart RTH is for low battery %, nothing to do with signal loss.
Right but there is an option to set action in case of rc signal loss (for more than 3 seconds if I recall correctly) to hover, rth, I think land is an option. I've set mine to rth upon signal loss since I got the quad and never took it off, it's still set to that as I just double checked lol. But yet I flew that litchi mission today not even thinking I needed to turn that off and it didn't return on signal loss it just flew the mission . Idk maybe in litchi if flying a mission that overrides everything else, hopefully not smart rth lol

I see my goof lol most of the posts were responding to smart rth while another was talking about signal loss rth I got confuckled as to which was being said to be turned off in go app. I'm blonde I have an excuse lol Iggy my last post up there ^ haha :confused:

Not at all, there's a green stain on 1 of the props. I'm still amazed that it recovered from that low.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
So I bought Litchi on the Friday Special, I bought for Android and crApple, still need to figure out my next devices are going to be.

So I don't want take over a thread, point me and others in the correction direction of learning Litchi, um, I really don't like vids.

Why did @NotReallRJ Phantom, RTH when it hit the branch?
Was it on its last way point? It appears from the video it went up to a RTH return height.
Why would it do that on a mission that doesn't need a signal from the RC?

Post some links for do's / don't s for Litchi.

Thanks ;)

Rod

So I bought Litchi on the Friday Special, I bought for Android and crApple, still need to figure out my next devices are going to be.

So I don't want take over a thread, point me and others in the correction direction of learning Litchi, um, I really don't like vids.

Why did @NotReallRJ Phantom, RTH when it hit the branch?
Was it on its last way point? It appears from the video it went up to a RTH return height.
Why would it do that on a mission that doesn't need a signal from the RC?

Post some links for do's / don't s for Litchi.

Thanks ;)

Rod
I just read the help on their site mostly, and just take it slow at first. Use the FPV (their manual flight) and see how it's different than Go. One thing I'll point out right off, is Litchi does NOT have a software button for RTH, it's only via your S2 switch.

Help - Litchi

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj