flying into steam/smoke coming out of a smokestack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the fence is to keep PEOPLE out...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes... stupid and destructive people. Cars would go right through a fence.
I work for DWP as an electric station operator, and our substations have thick concrete walls as well.

Reactions: EddieM
i already have another p4, that's why i'm flying this with a p3. if it got messed up, no big deal. but playing with matches?? you need to catch up... lol
One thing you might just be missing is HOW "it got messed up"... did it hit a wall or some 5 year old kid playing in his yard?

Did it hit a distribution bank (transformer) in a substation yard, and knock out part of the city, just because you wanted to get the "epic shot" and your battery made your quad auto land?

Just think of the consequences of your actions, and how a little thing (accident) could affect an innocent life and YOUR life!
What's wrong with following simple rules and guidelines? Someone that has made these rules has put some thought into WHY the rules are in place... they are NOT there to kill your fun, they are there to keep YOU from killing someone else's fun!

BTW... the FAA has a website with all the rules/regulations listed... all you have to do is go there and READ.
If you registered your quad, the rules were there before you "signed", but you may have missed alot of them, or didn't read.

cool, i hear everyone. i probably won't fly at this particular power plant again since i already got the shots i wanted. just to let everyone know where i'm coming from and i'm not the bad guy:
  • i asked advice before i went and got no negative responses, only videos of other people doing the same thing. @dirkclod sounded excited about it so i thought it would be cool to show him what i could do.
  • the place i flew looked almost abandoned. i think i saw one car down below. plus i think they all have to wear hardhats anyway. so for the guy saying something about hitting kids, not sure if you really understood where i was flying.
  • so if anyone read the whole thread, we now know the FAA has a specific rule for what i did and all they say is try to avoid lingering around. so they are outright saying you can do it. for those saying i'm asking for trouble and more rules being made, i say someone obviously already put the FAA in that position and they still chose not make it illegal. so if you stop being ultra dramatic, i think you can admit my little flight isn't going to cause some big new law to be made. odds are nobody even looks up there and didn't even notice me. i was there like 5 minutes and i was in smoke the whole time so i was camoflaged anyway
so i get that if all the stars had aligned, my drone could've crashed onto some nuclear reactor and blew up a small city, but i think those are like odds of winning lottery. and again, that wouldn't have been my fault since i wasn't flying crazy or anything, so you would have to blame dji for making faulty drones. and if that's happening, everyone flying above parks and cities and people should be stopped before me flying above some concrete.

anyway, just sayin. i will continue being careful and thanks for all the advice. i will keep it in mind next time. i don't want to cause any more friction so TJ you can close this topic now.

Your so wrong Corey and you should really let it go before you do .Do not say you were trying to show me anything . You weren't .
I did show you what others had done hoping you would get it but you didn't .

Everything else aside, "no one on the forum told me it was illegal/wrong/a bad idea" is not going to hold up in court. I mean this just as a general tip for everyone on here. It's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security regarding the legality or advisability of our actions in the echo chambers that are internet communities.

cell phone tower
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Corey, you're just a kid who, like most kids of your age, think they can do what they like, when they like. The fact you're using the lack of any commentary on your then suggested flight as an agreement to go ahead and, in your world, using this to absolve you of "blame" should it have gone amiss is a very immature. That together with being ok with potentially losing a $1000 drone during an attempt to land on a chimney says everything. Do your parents know what you're doing?

Corey, you're just a kid who, like most kids of your age, think they can do what they like, when they like. The fact you're using the lack of any commentary on your then suggested flight as an agreement to go ahead and, in your world, using this to absolve you of "blame" should it have gone amiss is a very immature. That together with being ok with potentially losing a $1000 drone during an attempt to land on a chimney says everything. Do your parents know what you're doing?

I would have done the same thing. And I'm not a kid!

Reactions: Jesse James
One thing you might just be missing is HOW "it got messed up"... did it hit a wall or some 5 year old kid playing in his yard?

Did it hit a distribution bank (transformer) in a substation yard, and knock out part of the city, just because you wanted to get the "epic shot" and your battery made your quad auto land?

Just think of the consequences of your actions, and how a little thing (accident) could affect an innocent life and YOUR life!
What's wrong with following simple rules and guidelines? Someone that has made these rules has put some thought into WHY the rules are in place... they are NOT there to kill your fun, they are there to keep YOU from killing someone else's fun!

BTW... the FAA has a website with all the rules/regulations listed... all you have to do is go there and READ.
If you registered your quad, the rules were there before you "signed", but you may have missed alot of them, or didn't read.

I had to lol at this post.

I know you're serious. I just can't believe you actually believe what you typed.

Oh wow, ESB Poolbeg, Dublin. I installed emission monitoring equipment on those chimneys. It ran at about 140°C at the base, the chimneys are concrete with rebar, lined with firebrick. The reason for the temperature was to prevent corrosion by keeping the steel ductwork at the base of the chimney above dew point, as the flue gas has quite a lot of water in it, particularly when running on gas (high hydrogen content in gas = plenty of H2O) A very brave pilot in my opinion, delightful footage, the power station has been out of commission for a decade or so.

I was referring to the original video, red and white stacks, BTW .. and yes, it breaks all the rules too, except it's not a power station, not no more, anyway..

cool, i hear everyone. i probably won't fly at this particular power plant again since i already got the shots i wanted. just to let everyone know where i'm coming from and i'm not the bad guy:
  • i asked advice before i went and got no negative responses, only videos of other people doing the same thing. @dirkclod sounded excited about it so i thought it would be cool to show him what i could do.
  • the place i flew looked almost abandoned. i think i saw one car down below. plus i think they all have to wear hardhats anyway. so for the guy saying something about hitting kids, not sure if you really understood where i was flying.
  • so if anyone read the whole thread, we now know the FAA has a specific rule for what i did and all they say is try to avoid lingering around. so they are outright saying you can do it. for those saying i'm asking for trouble and more rules being made, i say someone obviously already put the FAA in that position and they still chose not make it illegal. so if you stop being ultra dramatic, i think you can admit my little flight isn't going to cause some big new law to be made. odds are nobody even looks up there and didn't even notice me. i was there like 5 minutes and i was in smoke the whole time so i was camoflaged anyway
so i get that if all the stars had aligned, my drone could've crashed onto some nuclear reactor and blew up a small city, but i think those are like odds of winning lottery. and again, that wouldn't have been my fault since i wasn't flying crazy or anything, so you would have to blame dji for making faulty drones. and if that's happening, everyone flying above parks and cities and people should be stopped before me flying above some concrete.

anyway, just sayin. i will continue being careful and thanks for all the advice. i will keep it in mind next time. i don't want to cause any more friction so TJ you can close this topic now.
Hi Corey. Next time you have a brilliant idea like this don't ask for advice, just plan carefully, be safe, then let us know how it went. I am looking forward to view your future adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Corey. Next time you have a brilliant idea like this don't ask for advice, just plan carefully, be safe, then let us know how it went. I am looking forward to view your future adventures.

Somebody was asking about his parents? I think we've found them.

Next time try to drop a knife into the stack hole.

I'm joking in case my sarcasm is missed here. Kids an idiot but so is everyone that argues with an idiot so whaddayado? :p

you guys should jump on LiveLeak and check out what some people my age are doing. then maybe you wouldn't blow my ideas way out of proportion. geez, you guys (or little girls maybe) act like you've never done anything slightly adventurous in your lives. i didn't realize this site was full of so many judgy saints. sorry your lives are so boring.

btw - i looked at the post that @dirkclod was so excited about earlier (speaking of which, i haven't heard much out of him since everyone started the bashing party - guess he no longer supports this idea...)

anywya, this guy actually flies INSIDE the smoke stack and almost crashes! but guess what, none of you have gone on that posting and bashed him. there wasn't one single negative comment on it. seems a bit hypocritical to me. or maybe you think you can bully me cuz i'm young. haha! bunch of internet tough guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic