Flying Indoors

Reaction score
I need a tip for a future indoor flight in a large gallery hall which will be shielded from any GPS or other electronic signal for that matter. If the Phantom 2 is run in GPS mode but with no GPS signal, how is its response to control inputs? I realize it won't likely hold its position in GPS mode and I'll have to keep an eagle eye on it controlling it foot by foot. Its a large gallery with plenty of room. Any tips or suggestions?

NorthernObserver said:
I need a tip for a future indoor flight in a large gallery hall which will be shielded from any GPS or other electronic signal for that matter. If the Phantom 2 is run in GPS mode but with no GPS signal, how is its response to control inputs? I realize it won't likely hold its position in GPS mode and I'll have to keep an eagle eye on it controlling it foot by foot. Its a large gallery with plenty of room. Any tips or suggestions?

Assuming no issues with the buildings construction affecting the compass, it is just like flying in Atti. mode. It will maintain heading and altitude only. In fact you should practice this (Atti. mode) in an area your comfortable with. The main difference is drifting due to air currents and any momentum built during maneuvers.

I can get GPS indoors quite easily,is the building specifically shielded against it?
If there is no GPS it will go in ATTI mode which is less easy to control,the quad maintains momentum much more in ATTI mode,I did a run up of about 25m and let off and it drifted in the same direction for easily another 50m or so.
You can counter it of course but then you will set it off in the other direction under power and have the same problem.
Also found it more difficult to land in ATTI mode due to this.
Basically you need to be more careful.

I too will be flying indoors (basketball court) and I'm wondering what happens if the Phantom went into failsafe mode? IF I had no GPS when I launch inside and it cannot get a home lock, does it return to whatever homelock it had last? I realize I could regain control by being in ATTI mode, but if the Tx were to die, where would my precious bird fly to? I'm just thinking of all possible scenarios to insure a safe flight.

FYI, there will be no one in the gym when I shoot. It's for a company that refinishes basketball courts and wants an aerial shot of the finished product.

just a thought...

but if you are doing a shooting, why no removing the props and move manually (i mean carrying the phantom) around the gallery?

if i was the owner of the gallery i would not risk my art collection.

chapsrlz said:
just a thought...

but if you are doing a shooting, why no removing the props and move manually (i mean carrying the phantom) around the gallery?

if i was the owner of the gallery i would not risk my art collection.

+1 - I have done indoor shooting with the P2.....if you have lots of room it is doable - but as mentioned above - it could get dicey in a smallish gallery....very windy and you need to have ATTI flying perfected. If there are people present, I wouldn't advise it.

i have done the hand-held shoot as described above, but with the props spinning.....it gave an even smoother end-result than just hand-held with gimbal stabilization. Just watch your fingers, arms, face, etc. :|

Do not use GPS mode indoors unless you know you can get a consistent GPS signal in all the areas you intend to fly. Best to force ATTI mode so if GPS signal comes and goes the Phantom doesn't care and won't surprise you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie