Flying Indoors

Reaction score
I was thinking about flying inside a motorcycle dealership to get some ariel photos of the show room with my Phantom 4. Will this be possible in lieu of the metal and wiring inside the building.thanks Pat

I was thinking about flying inside a motorcycle dealership to get some ariel photos of the show room with my Phantom 4. Will this be possible in lieu of the metal and wiring inside the building.thanks Pat

Ive flown in my auto body shop a few times before and never had any issues. Just be mindful of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Good luck

Make sure you are used to ATTI mode outside before you take it inside.

ATTI mode is without GPS hold ,correct? It still has alt hold correct?
Correct, the barometer is used for altitude. GPS will be disabled so position hold will not be as good.

As previous post said, be sure you fly outside in ATTI to get feel for it. Braking needs to be manually controlled by pilot as craft will continue drifting on it's own. Be careful for fans or any breeze created by exhaust vents, AC units, heaters, etc....

Good luck and have fun!

I think ATTI indoor is not much different as P mode, because indor usually there is no wind. But as my precedor says - must be aware of airflow inside the environment. And of course - be very gentle with sticks. The propellers are close to surrounding objects. And flying the craft facing to you can lead very quickly to move the wrong stick. If you don't have a safe distance (a few m) arround the craft, then I would not do it.

I've never flown in a large building, but I do fly inside my house. Remember, if you fly in atti, your bird will not stop when you let go of your sticks...it will continue to drift. In sport or gps, it will stop when there are no stick inputs.

I probably wouldn't fly inside with atti unless I have a LOT of room, but that's just me. Personally, I'd fly your mission in gps, and I'd mess around with tripod mode.

If the floor has a pattern in it the VPS works pretty good but don't depend on it and don't take your eye's off your bird as we sometimes do outside in gps mode to change our camera settings in GO.
This is where I would consider prop guards, if you have guards on and tap a wall don't push the sticks at all until you a sure witch way you are pointing and slowly back off or you may find yourself vertical on the wall heading for the floor. If you panic and nail the stick the wrong way your toast.

I probably wouldn't fly inside with atti unless I have a LOT of room, but that's just me. Personally, I'd fly your mission in gps, and I'd mess around with tripod mode.

The basic problem with indoor flying is no or very low GPS signal ! If you fly in GPS mode in such circumstances, you don't have absolute control of the craft, as GPS signal may cause some drone movements by itself. Outdoor this is irelevant but indoor it could be just enough to crash.

Reactions: sshephard
I recently flown in a furniture store quite successfully. Check an earlier post of mine. Left it in P mode. Was in atti due to no gps. Used tripod mode and had no issues. P4advanced.

The basic problem with indoor flying is no or very low GPS signal ! If you fly in GPS mode in such circumstances, you don't have absolute control of the craft, as GPS signal may cause some drone movements by itself. Outdoor this is irelevant but indoor it could be just enough to crash.
I'd still leave it in gps since the cameras take over when low or no gps signal as you know. Again, I only have flown in my house and not a large building, but I still have low to no gps signal to work with. Even so, the bird flies with the same control as outside in my experience. If other flyers have better luck in atti or sport, then great.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl