Flying in Somers,NY?

Reaction score
I posted this in the P4P forum with title of Flying in Westchester County

Anyone from the area?
I’m trying to judge if it’s worth the bother of bringing the drone for this trip.
I’d have to check it in it’s hard case due to the camera gear I have to carryon.
So, it may not be worth it. Also not being from the area it’s hard to judge what the area looks like. I get the impression from online photos that it’s like an upscale suburb.

Hi gang. I’ve a shoot (not aerial) in a few weeks in Somers,NY.
May have time in the afternoon & sunset , possibly after sunrise , to Drone a bit.
Like to get some of the town & any pretty scenery if possible.
What’s the attitude of the locals & cops towards drones? Are there local refs to restrict?
Will I be hassled or are there safe places to fly without being bothered?
If anyone has personal experience in the area.
I’m coming in from Chicago. So no clue as to local attitudes.
Thx

Being from Long Island, I don't know much about the locals and laws in Somers. But I do know that the lakes in that area are all reservoirs that supply drinking water to New York City, and may be somewhat of a protected area. I know the city worries about terrorists possibly contaminating the reservoirs, so local law enforcement might be a bit nervous seeing any drone in the area that could possibly be scouting the area or looking to damage a dam with an explosive. Just something to keep in mind if you plan on flying over one of the reservoirs. They all just look like beautiful lakes. I used to fish them a long time ago with my dad when I was a kid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4