Flying in moderate sun using a 16 filter ISO 100 and frames 60

Reaction score
It is hard to adjust to get enough or to much light in the camera and keep at the recommended 1/60 while shooting at 30 frames per sec. Can I go above the 60 so that it is lighter on the screen and the final video or do I need to keep it at 1/60 and try and fix post edit. Maybe I am reading to much into this.

It is hard to adjust to get enough or to much light in the camera and keep at the recommended 1/60 while shooting at 30 frames per sec. Can I go above the 60 so that it is lighter on the screen and the final video or do I need to keep it at 1/60 and try and fix post edit. Maybe I am reading to much into this.

It's all a trade-off really. What you are attempting to accomplish by using the ND filter is the ability to set a shutter speed (SS) that is low enough and appropriate to your FPS setting so as to avoid that video 'jello effect' or jerkiness during playback. Of course, you can speed up the SS, but at some point, you will begin to get the 'jello effect' that you are trying to avoid. You may want to try out an ND 8 filter during the indicated conditions and see if that lightens things up a bit while still giving you the ability to set the proper SS vs. FPS ratio..

So what I believe you to be saying is that as long as I can keep it at twice the shutter speed and not have it to dark or to light then thats what I am trying to achieve. But I do need to keep it at twice the speed.

Yes, that is the suggested standard for video. You want your SS (denominator) to be approximately twice the FPS that you have set. If you have 30 FPS set, you will want a SS of approximately 1/60th of a second. With the P4, the best way to accomplish this - while not loosing natural color - is with an ND filter. They do come at the expense of darkening up the scene however, so I'm also suggesting that you choose the lowest numeric level filter that will still allow for these settings depending on the brightness of the day. Maybe on a moderate sun day, give an ND 8 a try. In my opinion, if you are willing to use ND filters, you should have ND 4, 8, and 16 filters. For very bright conditions like over water or snow on a cloudless day, an ND 32 may be necessary as well, but I find that I don't use my ND 32 at all. Mostly I use my ND 8 and 16.

Thanks for all of your help, I think what I am doing is using to dark of filter

As with most things. It pays in dividends to experiment before going out to capture important video. Use a small snack table or bar stool to experiment with different filters in different conditions. Experiment with pointing the bird away from the sun and slowly rotate the table/chair until the camera is almost pointing at the sun.
Since you are using Manuel mode you will have to adjust the setting during flight if you choose to orient the bird towards and away from the sun. Remember there is no "One" way to do anything. Most folks adjust the camera , and shoot with the sun behind them. However if you need to rotate towards the camera you will get a blinding white our. To be able to recover this, With the appropriate ND filter Set the initial settings to ISO 200, Shutter Speed 1/60 Frames per second 30. Then if you need to point towards the sun, lower the ISO to 100 which will provide 1 stop less light. It still won't be properly exposed so it will also be safe to bump up the shutter speed to 1/120 for and addition stop.

Video traditionally shoot the 180 shutter (the reciprocal of twice the Frames Rate) to provide the amount of motion blur that we are accustomed to. Rolling shutter will rear it's ugly head when there is fast movement in the video. This video has some good demonstrations.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj