Flying In Heat

"Thing about flying in heat is, ya gotta keep yer tail covered... Gittin mounted mid-flight by an old buzzard will put a kink in yer day, for sure"

I have no clue where I've heard that before, but it sprang into my head soon as I opened this thread today

Brad

It’s even hot in Alaska right now. We be breaking temp records for late June and most of July so far! Nothing compared to what you are going through though. 75 F is hot for us, we like to complain too ?
Last time I was up there in summer, dang mosquitoes nearly carried me off! Swore I'd never go back in summer, EVER!! Love the scenery later in the year, nice in late spring (all 2 days of it...)but NO summers.

Today's forecast here:
Temp: 94°
Heat index:101°-106°
Humidity: 57% (much better than yesterday!)
Think I'll go bale some hay!
Fly Safe, anyone goofy enough to actually go fly today...!
Brad

The skeeters are more plentiful and meaner in the fall! If they can pack you off, imagine what they would do to your drone!!!
Well, I guess that scratches fall visits off my list too then! Got no desire to be sucked dry by those little vampires...

We got a call to fly today, short mapping mission of a construction site for IU (Indiana University)... it was HOT but I tell you what, those guys working the site and in the trench day after day are men's men. That's tough work any day and have to respect their resolve and dedication on days like this.

Reactions: dronesky
We got a call to fly today, short mapping mission of a construction site for IU (Indiana University)... it was HOT but I tell you what, those guys working the site and in the trench day after day are men's men. That's tough work any day and have to respect their resolve and dedication on days like this.
What are they building a parking garage?

You really should not fly your drones when temps are 85 degrees or over, it over heats the motors, the electronics, and the batteries. Your tablet or phone and also over heat and shut down. at 95 degrees you run the risk of a battery shutting down in fight. and your tablet or phone will after a short time shut down.

I'm in Phoenix AZ, had to fly today for work in 118 degree heat, I won't keep the bird up for more than 5 min at a time, bring it down let it cool down in the car with the A/C cranked

Reactions: dronesky
You really should not fly your drones when temps are 85 degrees or over, it over heats the motors, the electronics, and the batteries. Your tablet or phone and also over heat and shut down. at 95 degrees you run the risk of a battery shutting down in fight. and your tablet or phone will after a short time shut down.
I set my battery alarm at 30% just to keep my batteries from getting to hot so in this heat is even worse for battery temp have heard of guys carrying their tablets in coolers so like you said bad for all

I'm in Phoenix AZ, had to fly today for work in 118 degree heat, I won't keep the bird up for more than 5 min at a time, bring it down let it cool down in the car with the A/C cranked
Dang thats hot do you check your battery temps to see how hot they get

Heat Index only applies to people not drones. They do not sweat. I fly in Texas temperatures of 95-105 regularly without issue. Just don’t throw your batteries on the charger immediately after flying.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
In my part of of the world, that would limit my flight window to about three weeks... I'll take my chances. ?

Brad

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Heat Index only applies to people not drones. They do not sweat. I fly in Texas temperatures of 95-105 regularly without issue. Just don’t throw your batteries on the charger immediately after flying.
I think that's what causes more issues than ambient temps. I ALWAYS let my batteries cool, checking them with a non contact IR thermometer. Good point!

Brad

In Lake Havasu City, AZ, I have no problem with the heat on my Phantom 4. Have flown it in lots of heat, but I have to fly illegally because if I step out into the 110 degree heat my Ipad only takes about 4 or 5 minutes before it quits. Doesn't efect the P4 but I can't see what it's doing so I have to hit RTH and bring it back. On the other hand, sitting in the air conditioned truck, the P4 doesn't get very far away before I lose signal. So we are moving away from here. Dry heat or not, 110 every day gets old!

Reactions: Shoot4fun

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj