Flying in a museum - Vision system question

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is the manager of a museum is retiring soon and has invited me to fly inside of their very spaceous main room that has a very high ceiling. I know... a recipe for disaster... and I will try my best not to crash into any priceless artifacts. But I'd like to get some nice inside photos from a unique perspective as a remembrance of the place for him -- and possibly some nice photos of the main hall for their marketing group. I have never flown indoors and would like to know what to expect as far as stability. I assume I will be without GPS but will the vision system provide any degree of position stabilization or stoppage? I'll be flying very slowly (tripod mode) and will simply be positioning the drone for photos. Also, I believe there is a lot of glass (as in glass exterior walls) in this hall, so I'm thinking the obstacle avoidance sensors may fail to detect the glass if I get too close. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Thanks, skymonkey. That's very comforting. Performs much better than I ever thought it would without the GPS. Pretty amazing.

I fly on tripod mode inside of our Church, which is Orthodox with a dome. I almost had a heart attack :eek: the first time I did it, but it is possible. All the best in the museum!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
It needs good lighting though!

The museum has bright lighting for all of the artwork being displayed, so that shouldn't pose a problem. But thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Archaeo Drone
If you don't have it already, I strongly suggest insurance. Verifly will offer a million in coverage for something like $10-$15. Might not be a bad idea considering the consequences of a crash. They might not insure you indoors, just have to look at the plan. I think I would want some kind of a signed release from the museum before I would chance flying something like that. Your friend might be the manager, but he doesn't own the artwork in there. Spinning props cut one exhibit and all the friendship in the world won't save you from dealing with the owners and their insurance company. I wouldn't fly there at all without prop guards at least.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl