Flying in a Marquee

The relevance of my questions are:

The most up-to-date guidance given by the training centres (NQE's) is not to simply "donate" your footage as it may be used for commercial purposes. (& this does not mitigate either party)

(In this case it is the use of footage within the wedding video.. which is a commercial product - unless the photography & production is being "donated" also!)

It is a massive grey area / loophole that is being closed - which prevents pilots from simply giving away the footage to someone else whom may / may not use it commercially

(I believe there is a similar situation in the states - which is preventing pilots from giving footage to news anchors / reporters / corporations for them to use - even if it is donated free of charge)

& as for certification, if you had any you would be aware & up-to-date with the circumstances.

So, I believe my questions are valid & relevant with the topic of conversation.

You're a mod not a god.. you may or may not be a good pilot too?

Don't use your sarcastic tone in my direction again - when in fact I actually know more about the situation of commercial flying in the UK (first hand) than you.

Happy & safe flying everyone..

The most up-to-date guidance given by the training centres (NQE's) is not to simply "donate" your footage as it may be used for commercial purposes. (& this does not mitigate either party)

(In this case it is the use of footage within the wedding video.. which is a commercial product - unless the photography & production is being "donated" also!)

It is a massive grey area / loophole that is being closed - which prevents pilots from simply giving away the footage to someone else whom may / may not use it commercially

(I believe there is a similar situation in the states - which is preventing pilots from giving footage to news anchors / reporters / corporations for them to use - even if it is donated free of charge)

& as for certification, if you had any you would be aware & up-to-date with the circumstances.

Don't use your sarcastic tone in my direction again - when in fact I actually know more about the situation of commercial flying in the UK (first hand) than you.

Justin, things might of gone off here but I understand the situation, so don't worry lol.

Lighten up a bit, Meta4 might of just been pulling your leg.

We are all here to enjoy so lets just enjoy our P3's.

Also while I remember, I have found a inspire for my P3P plus I have to give £1400 on top for it, swap with cash basically.

Its a dual controller version inspire, comes with 3 batteries, the gentleman bought it in February and has had about 4-6hrs flight on it.

Also just to mention the owner of the inspire is a CAA approved pilot/flyer and has his BNUC's cert.

My P3P is less about 2 weeks old and still has warranty until September 2016, his inspire was bought in February 2015 with self tightening props and clips from quadcopter uk.

He said he has never crashed it and always looked after it and cleaned it.

Do you think its worth it for my P3P plus £1400 ontop?

I would get the cash price down a bit maybe..

( make sure flight hours stated match logs etc - but should be in good order if he's been using it commercially / has bnuc-s background )

The most important thing is.. do you need that kit (yet) ?

I would get the cash price down a bit maybe..

( make sure flight hours stated match logs etc - but should be in good order if he's been using it commercially / has bnuc-s background )

The most important thing is.. do you need that kit (yet) ?

I was thinking the same but being a gadget freak and human lol, I just think I want, I want, I want lol

I'm also thinking shall I just buy a brand new one considering I will have warranty etc

It's common for people in forums to try to convince themselves that commercial use isn't .. via the ridiculous "not charging for the video .. only production" kind of excuse.
It's much rarer to find someone doing what you've done and arguing that something that clearly is not commercial, is or might be commercial.
You've got it backwards. The flying proposed by the OP is not commercial as shown by the explanation of your CAA that I referred to earlier.
He can take the images perfectly legally as a recreational flyer and can share those with his friend too.
He's talking about a genuine gift .. not a contrived pretend gift to gain commercial reward, which is what your instructors were talking about..
FYI .. you have that backwards too.
Read Section III of this FAA memo http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2015/Williams-AFS-80 - (2015) legal interpretation.pdf
It says the opposite of what you believe the situation to be.
Whether an individual taking pictures or videos or gathering other information using a model aircraft under the section 336 carve-out could later sell those pictures, videos, or other information would depend on the person's original intentions in conducting the operation. If the individual's [sic] takes the pictures or videos or gathers other information as part of a hobby or recreational activity, then a later decision to sell some or all of those pictures, videos, or other information would not change the character of the operation as part of a hobby or recreational activity that falls within the section 336 carve-out for model aircraft. No FAA authorization for that operation would be required.
Thanks for sharing your superior knowledge with us mortals.

Reactions: eBird and acherman
I was thinking the same but being a gadget freak and human lol, I just think I want, I want, I want lol

I'm also thinking shall I just buy a brand new one considering I will have warranty etc

Well sir.. if you've got the pennies - buy a new one too!

I'm doing exactly that myself!.. thought about trading in one for the other - but I'm just going to have both

(Yes - the warranty is important in my opinion - but at the same time I'd be more confident buying from someone with your gentleman's background - as the inspire should be well maintained)

The choice is yours!.. Keep us posted

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Guys here you go...done it yesterday, was a very busy day.

I know I could of done a way better job but was in a rush as had to shoot back off to my mates house.

Let me know what you think.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Dont do it bro. Tell em it broke down suddenly!! Or its just not flyin right. You dont need the headache, your friend doesnt need the distraction!! The pro's he hired will get plenty of memories. Your disaster shouldnt be one of them!

I know I could of done a way better job but was in a rush as had to shoot back off to my mates house.

nice one Del... good job there. well flown.

Dont do it bro. Tell em it broke down suddenly!! Or its just not flyin right. You dont need the headache, your friend doesnt need the distraction!! The pro's he hired will get plenty of memories. Your disaster shouldnt be one of them!

Dirty I did it already, I uploaded the video above.

You are a braver man than me ... I would have been too worried about the decorations hanging down and wires over the passgeway (plus I have only had my Phantom 2 weeks)! Given that if you have the balls then why not - no one was in danger apart from you if you had broken something! Good job and well done for not crashing! Nice video.

I don't think he was being sarcastic, but you were sure up on your high horse with your 'I know everything and you know nothing' attitude.

You are a braver man than me ... I would have been too worried about the decorations hanging down and wires over the passgeway (plus I have only had my Phantom 2 weeks)! Given that if you have the balls then why not - no one was in danger apart from you if you had broken something! Good job and well done for not crashing! Nice video.

Thank you sir.

I kicked everyone out of the main hall venue, the 2 people who you can see walking out walked in without noticing us and my friend who was with me kicked them out lol.

We were underneath the Phantom at the time out of shot.

My mate the groom gave me the responsibility to make sure all was set (was a hassle making sure everything at the venue was on point).

Luckily we didnt have stuff flying around as much as I had anticipated which was a plus 1, I wanted to take a few more runs but could not due to lack of time as I had to drive 15 miles back to the grooms house to leave with him and the wedding party back to the venue (4 of us were best mans with colour coordinated tuxedo's and bow ties).

I know for a fact if I had a second run I could of got it a lot smoother up the aisle lol

The certified professional who was there with his Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal and GoPro was not allowed to fly inside the venue :p he was amazed at how well the Phantom 3 flew and with its stability, showed him the footage/recording and was impressed at the quality.

The land/venue owner wants to use the footages too lol, she took my number.

I got more footage but just made that video for youtube as rendering on my laptops would probably take a week lol

Last edited:
I never tell people how easy it is to fly ... when they see me they think I am just really skilled! Now I have managed to stop worrying that I have £1000 flying about I just can't wait to get out every weekend.

I never tell people how easy it is to fly ... when they see me they think I am just really skilled! Now I have managed to stop worrying that I have £1000 flying about I just can't wait to get out every weekend.

Even though I did this for my friend yesterday and went through 4 batteries, it was still not my time and can't wait to take my P3 out over the weekend and wizz it around lol

D4T. I've experimented with the VPS and GPS indoors and under a parking garage. VPS will work relatively well but it's not flawless or as good as GPS. The light levels will probably be low so you may get intermittent ground lock but definitely applies a secondary back up hold. With no wind, ATTI will produce beautiful glossy movement and you only need to tap input slightly and it will glide like a hockey puck.

With a lot of people present, I would choose to use VPS only and monitor movement. Remember....you don't need to move much to create drama. Just a slow 2 to 3 MPH glide will look fantastic and reduce the probability of incidents.

Here is a little video where I was testing underneath a parking garage with rebar. As long as you stay under 10 MPH, the VPS should hold. Good luck my friend.

Here is a little video where I was testing underneath a parking garage with rebar. As long as you stay under 10 MPH, the VPS should hold. Good luck my friend.

Dwcola, thank you for the video.

I know a few more practises and I should be fine, now the wait begins for another mate to get married lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.