Flying in a Marquee

Reaction score
A childhood friends wedding is coming up and he wants me to take a few aerial shots, videos of the event and venue.

He wants me to go down to the venue early when no one is there and take video of the inside and outside of the venue and later do some video of him leaving his property and getting into the Phantom (Rolls Royce not DJI LoL) and then outside the venue when walking in etc.

We have all the clear from the venue to use my P3 inside, outside and the vicinity of the whole venue (private land).

1) Shall I leave the RC toggle on P and use it to fly the P3 or shift it to ATTI.

2) What shall I look out for and if any precautions I need to take?

Will be filming in 4K and giving him the footage so he can give to the photographers/videographers to edit and put into his wedding video.

I been flying for a while and always carry out pre-flight checks.

I will make sure LOS is kept at all times and failsafe is set to something like hover or even RTH set to very low height even though its an open marquee and LOS is always there without obstacles.

Any thoughts and inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you have a lot of experience flying indoors, you could be creating a bad situation for yourself.

Not a marquee full of people by the way....empty venue with just the tables and stage setup lol

After that all videos and pictures will be taken outdoors lol

you don't sound too confident....don't do it....you can always hand held the quad and use the gimbal to get smooth video...

you don't sound too confident....don't do it....you can always hand held the quad and use the gimbal to get smooth video...

I'm confident as I have flown inside my house (well hovered and went left/right/front/back/up/down)

Honestly speaking the marquee is huge and I have been there a lot of times and again its huge.

I'm confident as I have flown inside my house (well hovered and went left/right/front/back/up/down)

Honestly speaking the marquee is huge and I have been there a lot of times and again its huge.
Go for it Del.. Just take your time like you told me to do..

Just go easy and realize flying indoors can pose some new variables. The air current can vary greatly depending on what you're over, under or next to. Sometimes when you get close to something just right the "current" seems to pull your aircraft closer so just don't take any unnecessary risks. Fly safe and share your work once it's all done.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Get some prop guards - flying in ATTI mode inside is very similar to sliding a "mass" on ice - it can just keep sliding......till something stops into something - though the VPS will help - but would make a lot of down draft so watch out for the table decorations - but could look superb if you keep it simple!!

One concern would be the wind from the props blowing all the nice decorations and flowers etc all over the place!
Have you stood under your P3 on hover, it's one hell of a blast!

Not saying don't but I'd want to mock up a single table first and fly above, around, past it to get an idea how close you can get before things start to move. Better that than dealing with an angry bride when she enters the marquee and it looks like a tornado has been through...

Reactions: D4T_PoM and pchin2
Just don't get caught!

(Although you are "giving" the footage to someone else it is still deemed as commercial use)

Oh, & don't crash into anything or anyone.

I'm off to do my BNUC-s soon (RPQ also available!).. the preparation for this has been a real eye opener.

You need to really familiarise yourself with the location (not just go to a location that is familiar!)

Make sure you do a pre flight inspection of location (not just the "recreational" preflight checks of the P3 & have an emergency plan / do a form of risk assessment)

Keep spectators behind you & the P3 in front!

Good luck !

Just don't get caught!

(Although you are "giving" the footage to someone else it is still deemed as commercial use)

Oh, & don't crash into anything or anyone.

I'm off to do my BNUC-s soon (RPQ also available!).. the preparation for this has been a real eye opener.

You need to really familiarise yourself with the location (not just go to a location that is familiar!)

Make sure you do a pre flight inspection of location (not just the "recreational" preflight checks of the P3 & have an emergency plan / do a form of risk assessment)

Keep spectators behind you & the P3 in front!

Good luck !

Justin, Im thinking of doing a CAA approved course after Christmas.

I use to work within the Security sector so doing risk assesments and reconnassaince was something I did on a daily basis lol.

Hopefully I don't become too lazy and put doing the course off lol

Just don't get caught!
Although you are "giving" the footage to someone else it is still deemed as commercial use
That sounds like quite a stretch.
It's unlikely in any universe that doing photography for a friend's wedding and giving him the images (for no gain, material or otherwise) could be construed to be commercial.

Reactions: acherman
That sounds like quite a stretch.
It's unlikely in any universe that doing photography for a friend's wedding and giving him the images (for no gain, material or otherwise) could be construed to be commercial.

Oh so you know UK CAA regulation(s) then?

What certification have you gained?

Thanks

Justin, Im thinking of doing a CAA approved course after Christmas.

I use to work within the Security sector so doing risk assesments and reconnassaince was something I did on a daily basis lol.

Hopefully I don't become too lazy and put doing the course off lol

Good effort sir!

You sound like you already have the "eyes" for the task in hand then..

It's worth doing the course.. then you are free as a bird ! (or a P3 on a "fly away" haha)

(I have enough work lined up after I get my permissions to pay for everything that I will be spending on my "hobby")

& I'm fortunate to be in an area of the U.K. with a lot of interesting potential (in both a recreational & work sense)

Best wishes..

Oh so you know UK CAA regulation(s) then?
I don't know a lot about the UK CAA regulations but I'm guessing that they define commercial in a similar way to most other English speaking countries.
The CAA website indicates this to be true.
According to the CAA website:
Permission is not required if:
the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed
What certification have you gained?
Relevance?
Do only certified commercial flyers know the meaning of the word commercial?

Doing some photography for a friend's wedding and giving the images to him can't be construed as commercial. To be commercial, there has to be some reward.
And in the scenario here, there's no reward for the flying proposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: acherman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl