Flying at Pensacola Beach

Reaction score
I’m a frequent traveler to Pensacola Beach, and a Part 107 holder as well. We’re going to be there (again) next week and I want to bring my equipment to get some b-roll footage, but when I go to plan my flights in AirMap and Skyward.io, it tells me that the entire island is a NFZ because of the gulf island national seashore parks, which are located on either end of the island (with an approximate 8 mile open area in between.

I see footage taken there all the time and really want to fly, but do not want to risk my Part 107... are the others flying under an exemption or just not following the rules?

I’ve done some searching on the various forums and haven’t found any recent/current information on whether or not I am good to fly. I know I cannot fly in the national park area, which I don’t want to do.

We’re leaving next Tuesday and will be there through Sunday. I appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks!

I’m a frequent traveler to Pensacola Beach, and a Part 107 holder as well. We’re going to be there (again) next week and I want to bring my equipment to get some b-roll footage, but when I go to plan my flights in AirMap and Skyward.io, it tells me that the entire island is a NFZ because of the gulf island national seashore parks, which are located on either end of the island (with an approximate 8 mile open area in between.

I see footage taken there all the time and really want to fly, but do not want to risk my Part 107... are the others flying under an exemption or just not following the rules?

I’ve done some searching on the various forums and haven’t found any recent/current information on whether or not I am good to fly. I know I cannot fly in the national park area, which I don’t want to do.

We’re leaving next Tuesday and will be there through Sunday. I appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks!
I tried a search and find this but couple years old now,cause of this I would just contact there council in charge to confirm if can or not,,,,also found someone used a app called altitude angels and that showed red no fly
Screenshot_20190628-095538.jpg
Screenshot_20190628-095624.jpg
Screenshot_20190628-095722.jpg

Well it was nice to help even if you disappeared on me so I shall dissappear boom

Well it was nice to help even if you disappeared on me so I shall dissappear boom
I hate to say it my friend but what in the wide wide world of sports are you thinking?

Um unsure what you mean,,the op disappeared so did I,,,I thought I was talking to fresh air again....the amount of non replys lately,,,you yourself knows this happens,I didn't mean no harm from it

Last edited by a moderator:
you yourself knows this happens,I didn't mean no harm from it
I know this as well. No harm at all. It was the multiplicity.....?

Looks like the barrier island is entirely NP property as well as the surrounding waters. This means you cannot takeoff or land from that property. If there are any wildlife sanctuaries there you cannot overfly them. Try checking sectional charts for more information on altitudes that must be observed over sanctuary areas.

It does look like you would be safe to fly from areas along highway 98 inland from the NP. Use AirMap and set to 107 certified flight.

Thanks!
I'm not sure about surrounding waters, but you could take a boat ride to film. If your comfortable hand catching. Sound fun great beach.

I'm not sure about surrounding waters, but you could take a boat ride to film. If your comfortable hand catching. Sound fun great beach.
That chart no fly zone sucks. Looks like the zone goes past the park boundry by another quarter mile. Well half mile, each way, flight ain't too bad. Over water LOL. Don't worry, it'll be fun I swear. Kidding aside have fun enjoy the beach.

And another update:

After several phone calls and different people and departments in Escambia County, Florida, I reached Santa Rosa Island Authority and they told me that I am allowed to fly as long as I follow FAA rules and guidelines. I explained I was certified part 107 and she thanked me for calling and said that “nobody ever calls and asks” and wished me happy and safe flying.

Here's an FAA UAS map. Home in on Pensacola and play with elevation settings. A grid will appear and will pin-point where you can't and where you can fly at what elevation:

Getting a waiver from the FAA will be challenging. In most cases, you will need to prove you have a parachute installed (fly over or near people). If a waiver is granted, you will need to get the zone unlocked through the DJI fly safe portal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers