Flying at a highly populated area...

Reaction score
Mods...move this to correct forum if this is in error. Thanks.
I’m not one to cause trouble to others or “rain on their parade” as it were but....
Today I was at Holy Hill National Shrine in Wisconsin, just outside of Richfield. Google will fill those in who are unaware of this beautiful area. For those who know this place, we were parked at the bottom picnic area, which is the start of the stations of the cross. From there you walk up the hill to the church and let me tell you, it was an absolutely gorgeous day. After our trek back down the winding path through the woods to our vehicle, I noticed someone setting up a launch pad which appeared to have a Mavic on it. Someone in the area asked how high it flew and the operator responded with “400ft.” , which told me it was more than likely, a Mavic and I could tell by the controller that it was in fact, a DJI product. Here’s the issue. There were hundreds, and I mean hundreds of people at this Shrine. What I saw was the pilot and another individual sitting at a picnic bench. The drone went straight up, probably on the other side of 300 ft. They both looked at the device on the controller and away it went. I looked all over the sky as we drove out of the picnic area, to the access road, and saw no sign of the drone. Both individuals were staring at the controller. There was no VLOS occurring. Now, we all know even with a 107 cert, there’s no way the Shrine gave permission to the pilot to fly in such a conjested area. Of course, anything is possible but, unlikely. Think of all the things that could of gone wrong here, not to mention, illegal. And before anyone asks, could I have stopped and gave my opinion? Sure but, I’m not the police, FAA, or anyone else in authority. If the person who was the pilot views this forum, I hope they realize how much they jeopardize ALL of us who would like to keep flying alive. This is what we’re up against folks. Food for thought. Especially for the pilot.

I'm from Milwaukee and thought about flying out there. You think you need permission to fly there?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl