FlyAway on Video

i like the look of your app. which one is it? can i assume it works for the P3?
What you are viewing is a video file out of the Phantom 3 with Dashware overlay. I did this so you could see the flight info. What you are looking at is not my app I just have an Apple iPad air.

Been seeing a a few curly ones lately.

For your own peace of mind you should probably log a case with DJI and have them analyse your logs - they'd be in the best position to tell you what went wrong by interrogating all the sensors. I doubt they'll want you to send it in but would be good to have a definitive answer. It also means they are more aware of such things going wrong and can fix firmware or provide workarounds if possible.

In the meantime do a full re-calibration and from then on check your MOD values for sanity before each flight. I wouldn't do a compass calibration before each flight, if my last flight was a good one.

Last edited:
Having a bad health day today, sorry, but I will have to go and try to download the DAT file tomorrow. BUT ... here is the TXT file if that is any help.

I really appreciate all the replys and the thoughts and ideas you have presented. Thank You.

BTW: there is about 20 seconds of flight before this happens and then a number of minutes after the event that will be covered in the file. Hope this helps

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-07-22_[12-08-02].txt
    563.4 KB · Views: 305
IMHO Pilots that do a compass calibration before every flight is just asking for trouble. I have proven safe calibration spots within 50 miles of my flight areas, and I never calibrate unless I have moved outside of the area. If you have a good calibration you do not need to redo it unless you move to another site at least 50 miles away or more. By doing excessive calibrations you are increasing the chances you will get a bad one. If you're worried then just check your MOD numbers before flight.

Because of the concerns of late surrounding flyaways and having experienced my first yesterday, I decided I would sign on and post this video, in case it might help others in some way.

What is interesting is that for the first half of the gyrations I had removed my hands from the control sticks completely. As soon as I realized that was not a viable solution I tried adding altitude and forward commands until it started to respond. Worth noting is that I had just completed a fully calibration, IMU, gimbal and compass. I also included DashWare info in case it might assist in some way.

Need to build some nerve to try flying again after this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There's nothing wrong with your compass. The Dashware data always has some lag in the heading data, and when you stop spinning, the compass appears to be correct. At least when you're pointing at the trees it always shows West.

You got whacked by an angry bird. You fly over the bird at :45 and you see the bird's shadow again at 1:03.

There's nothing wrong with your compass. The Dashware data always has some lag in the heading data, and when you stop spinning, the compass appears to be correct. At least when you're pointing at the trees it always shows West.

You got whacked by an angry bird. You fly over the bird at :45 and you see the bird's shadow again at 1:03.
Both my wife and I saw the whole thing and I would love to think it was a bird or some such logical thing like that but, No, it was not the bird. I did in fact see him the whole time and he never came anywhere near the Phantom. Thanks for the idea.

The only other thing I can think of that would do a sudden upset like that is a momentary loss of an ESC. Does the data include battery voltage? Add a voltmeter to the Dashware screen.

But certainly not a compass problem.

The only other thing I can think of that would do a sudden upset like that is a momentary loss of an ESC. Does the data include battery voltage? Add a voltmeter to the Dashware screen.

But certainly not a compass problem.
Thanks for the reply SteveMann I will see if a voltmeter is available and if it is I will prepare another video with that info and anything else that might help.

I did post the TXT file a few posts ago and I will try and get that video up for you tomorrow.

BTW what is ESC?

Good Night

Thanks for the reply SteveMann I will see if a voltmeter is available and if it is I will prepare another video with that info and anything else that might help.

I did post the TXT file a few posts ago and I will try and get that video up for you tomorrow.

BTW what is ESC?

Good Night
The txt file is the wrong format for human interpretation. I get my data for my Phantom over Flytrex 3G. If there is a jump up in the battery voltage coincident with the upset, then I would suspect a failing ESC (Electronic Speed Control) or a motor. If the voltage drops near zero then I would check that the battery contacts are clean. Hearing the motors may also help.

To the OP, please keep in mind based on his posts in other threads SteveMann thinks a compass error can never cause a fly away. Lots of other people here immediately blame a fly away on a compass issue without any evidence or critical thought. A small group here will actually look at your logs, think critically, and provide suggestions on what MIGHT have happened.

Reactions: ScottyT
To the OP, please keep in mind based on his posts in other threads SteveMann thinks a compass error can never cause a fly away. Lots of other people here immediately blame a fly away on a compass issue without any evidence or critical thought. A small group here will actually look at your logs, think critically, and provide suggestions on what MIGHT have happened.
Thank you very much. I am told the file I posted earlier was in the wrong format so I will post it again tomorrow along with the DAT tile. Should you want anything else PLEASE let me know.

Again thank you for your reply

Yes, people with more experience analyzing the log files may have a better insight to what caused the upset.

When someone can tell me the mechanics of how a compass error can cause a flyaway, I'll listen. But "it happened to me" is not an explanation of HOW a compass error can cause a flyaway. The compass simply tells the MC which way the Phantom is pointing. Not where it is.

Thank you very much. I am told the file I posted earlier was in the wrong format so I will post it again tomorrow along with the DAT tile. Should you want anything else PLEASE let me know.

Again thank you for your reply

The TXT log file is not in the wrong format; the DAT log file on the P3 has much more information and is what DJI will want to inspect.

It's possible that bad data from the compass or any other sensor caused the P3 to behave badly, as they all work together in P-GPS mode to enable flight. The logs will need to be analysed.
Switching to ATTI would tell you if there was an issue here, as it would mean the sensors aren't required to work in harmony any longer. It just keeps height (barometer) and stability (gyroscope) AFAIA

Have a read here for more pointers: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/understand-calibration-no-toilet-bowl-effect.47595/

Last edited:
If you run the given text file through djilogs.com, and look at the comprehensive CSV file, you will see in the column OSD.CompassError a recording of MonitorError for all recorded entries.

I've only ever seen an entry of FALSE in this column. I can't personally comment on what this error is indicating, only that I've only ever seen False in this column during normally recorded flights.

If you run the given text file through djilogs.com, and look at the comprehensive CSV file, you will see in the column OSD.CompassError a recording of MonitorError for all recorded entries.

I've only ever seen an entry of FALSE in this column. I can't personally comment on what this error is indicating, only that I've only ever seen False in this column during normally recorded flights.

Yeah, at the same time as there are SPEED_ERROR_LARGE and COMPASS_ERROR_LARGE logged, the flight type seems to switch between P-GPS and ATTI mode. You didn't get any warnings? Perhaps the flight replay will show you some errors you missed?

There's a reason for everything, and it will be in the log data - it's just how does one interpret that data - what's a cause and what's simply a symptom. I doubt anyone but DJI 3rd level support staff and engineering dept would know how to accurately piece a story together.
Errors.jpg

And obviously the reverse engineering of the TXT in to CSV format isn't quite right as a lot of the headings don't match the data types.

Last edited:

I have to withdraw this statement, as looking closer, the .CSV file is being interpreted with a CR in the middle of each line, misaligning in the data from the columns in Excel with their headings. The error I indicated is not in fact in the OSD.CompassErrror column.

And obviously the reverse engineering of the TXT in to CSV format isn't quite right as a lot of the headings don't match the data types.

I got in contact with the http://djilogs.com conversion tool author, and he has fixed the error on the converter. The unintended Carriage Returns no longer are in the CSV files if you regenerate, so the resultant files data columns now match the headers.

Now that's a quick response and turn around!

I got in contact with the http://djilogs.com conversion tool author, and he has fixed the error on the converter. The unintended Carriage Returns no longer are in the CSV files if you regenerate, so the resultant files data columns now match the headers.

Now that's a quick response and turn around!

Oh wow, that is a quick turn around. I've had trouble converting the DAT files on that site...I wonder if that is still an issue.

Oh wow, that is a quick turn around. I've had trouble converting the DAT files on that site...I wonder if that is still an issue.

I've found his utilities very useful. The two occurrences I've had issues, he fixed them pretty much immediately after sending him links to the files that were having issues.

Reactions: ScottyT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic