Fly with Hivemapper for DJI Phantom/Inspire drones

Reaction score
Fly with Hivemapper for DJI Phantom/Inspire drone is a new free flying app.

It's built on top of our very own 3D map of the earth focused on everything 4 ft and above -- building, overhead powerlines, etc. So when you fly with Hivemapper it understands the 3D structure of buildings, overhead powerlines, trees, and more at centimeter level precision.

With over 9 trillion (that's not a typo) data points we can create an entirely new kind of flying experience. We can combine the best of sensor data with our 3D map data to help navigate the skies in new ways. Today, we are getting started with:

1) Intelligent Altitude -- true height above ground and objects like buildings and trees.
2) In-flight 3D Map -- see heights of powerlines, building, and terrain.
3) Capture + Create 3D surveys -- augmented flight paths around buildings to easily capture 3D surveys.

Thanks to folks like Nathan Hoover, Kevin Blackburn, Jayson K Hanes, Tanner, and many more for participating in the ambassador testing program over the past few months.

It's currently available for Android and US only: Fly with Hivemapper for DJI - Android Apps on Google Play

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Tried this app again a few days ago. Nice improvements. The main issue I had was it reported objects where there were none and did not report objects where there were some. Did some checking and, at least in my area, the data was three years old.

Tried this app again a few days ago. Nice improvements. The main issue I had was it reported objects where there were none and did not report objects where there were some. Did some checking and, at least in my area, the data was three years old.

What area did you fly in?

(Soon enough we will launch a feature that will allow the map to refresh as you and others fly - think Waze but for drones)

Last edited:
What area did you fly in?

Salt Lake City (Sandy), UT

Here is what HiveMapper was reporting:
Photos_20160609_172128.png

Better view of the map from HiveMapper:
Photos_20160609_172236.png

Here is what is actually looks like:
corner.JPG

The building is Corner Canyon High School (someone spend _way_ too much money in it). I looked it up and it's 3 years old. The trees in thee park were also different to HiveMapper kept reporting that I was close to one when I was not.

This is super helpful.

- Please note the Obstruction alerts are in beta. I am glad you turned them on but.
- The satellite view is not a good representation of the 3D map data, use the default topo map view provides a more complete view of what we have.

The Salt Lake City area does not yet have all the data available for it. Stay tuned!

I do need to do some more testing of the app to get a better idea of it's capability and of where it's most useful. I did like that it was reporting trees though. Very impressive.

I do need to do some more testing of the app to get a better idea of it's capability and of where it's most useful. I did like that it was reporting trees though. Very impressive.

In Utah the feature that should currently work the best for you is Intelligent Altitude (true height above ground) which is obviously really useful when flying in hilly terrain.

Intelligent Altitude for drones — Never Fly Alone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.