Fly while standing on steel roof.

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried this. I am wanting to fly my P3P while standing on a steel roof. I would calibrate and launch the P3 from the ground. But be standing on a metal roof with the controller. Its a big pole barn roof so we're talking 50x100 ft or so. My objective is to get another 20 ft or so in the air to get better line of sight for a couple places I want to fly in the area.

The only issue I see is maybe the metal roof throws off my tablet compass a bit.

The metal roof blocks microwaves completely. Be sure that your Phantom can "see" the antennas on the controller at all times.
Once in the air, you should be fine. The roof will reflect a complex pattern of microwaves from the controller upwards.

Bob

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Hopefully going to try it this weekend if I get some descent weather. Maybe the metal roof will improve my range...we'll see.

No worries, so long as you do all your start ups completely away from it. I frequently fly sitting on the roof of my truck so I can get above the grass and bushes never had a problem with it

Bad idea.

Apparently dji did not do a well enough job in explaining to stay clear of such objects and structures.

Bad idea.

Apparently dji did not do a well enough job in explaining to stay clear of such objects and structures.

Please explain how having a better line of sight is a bad idea. My question was whether a metal roof would cause interferance. I believe that question has been answered.

Please explain how having a better line of sight is a bad idea. My question was whether a metal roof would cause interferance. I believe that question has been answered.

You do what you need to in order to enjoy the hobby. Climb a tree, rent a scissor lift, build a permanent structure. It may even lead to some great innovation. But flying next to or around metal objects is not recommended.

But flying next to or around metal objects is not recommended.
Flying next to or around steel objects is never a good idea but I don't think the OP mentioned anything about that.
Here's what was said: I am wanting to fly my P3P while standing on a steel roof. I would calibrate and launch the P3 from the ground. But be standing on a metal roof with the controller.

You do what you need to in order to enjoy the hobby. Climb a tree, rent a scissor lift, build a permanent structure. It may even lead to some great innovation. But flying next to or around metal objects is not recommended.

Maybe you should read the post before commenting. My P3 will never be closer than 50 feet from a metal roof. I've taken off from the same spot a couple times with my P3 and probably 50 with my P2. The original question was regarding myself standing on the metal roof with a controller. Which does not appear to be an issue.

Maybe you should read the post before commenting. My P3 will never be closer than 50 feet from a metal roof. I've taken off from the same spot a couple times with my P3 and probably 50 with my P2. The original question was regarding myself standing on the metal roof with a controller. Which does not appear to be an issue.

I read the post, and it does appear to be a problem for me. It shouldn't matter if you are transmitting or receiving, being around metal must have some type of impact.

I believe it is pretty obvious the 1st post should have included to respond the way I want you to or beware. Some must forget these forums are for public debate, and there is going to be times that not everyone agrees. All I said is that it was not a good idea. No personal attacks, nothing ugly, just a basic not a good idea.

If you received a response you were happy with, you should have ignored the rest and let the thread die as it would have.

With DJI they are about the facts. They have mentioned in a number of ways to not fly over or near water. And because of that, even if it was 4 days after buying your aircraft and it went down in the water, they are not going to warrant a claim loss. They have also mentioned to not fly near or around metal structures of any kind. So, should they look at the flight log like they always do and see the crash took place where metal structures of some kind were located, they again will not pay for the claim. My reason for saying..."not a good idea". So now go fly your unit from any location you please, and have some fun.

Reactions: NRJ
I read the post, and it does appear to be a problem for me. It shouldn't matter if you are transmitting or receiving, being around metal must have some type of impact.

I believe it is pretty obvious the 1st post should have included to respond the way I want you to or beware. Some must forget these forums are for public debate, and there is going to be times that not everyone agrees. All I said is that it was not a good idea. No personal attacks, nothing ugly, just a basic not a good idea.

If you received a response you were happy with, you should have ignored the rest and let the thread die as it would have.

With DJI they are about the facts. They have mentioned in a number of ways to not fly over or near water. And because of that, even if it was 4 days after buying your aircraft and it went down in the water, they are not going to warrant a claim loss. They have also mentioned to not fly near or around metal structures of any kind. So, should they look at the flight log like they always do and see the crash took place where metal structures of some kind were located, they again will not pay for the claim. My reason for saying..."not a good idea". So now go fly your unit from any location you please, and have some fun.

Yuppir flyNfrank, well said!

I said steel roof. Not steel structure. If you are qualifying a steel roof as a steel structure flying around 99% percent of any pitched roofs in agrictural areas would be a problem. Many residential houses also have steel roofs. According to your logic if you have a building with a steel roof on your property launching anywhere near it is a "bad idea."

Maybe you should re-read your original response. Rather than offering any factual data or personal experience as to why standing on a sheet metal surface while piloting a P3 might be a bad idea, you just said "bad idea" and made a snard remark implying I was ignoring DJI recomendations.

I appreciate the other members feedback. Its what I was looking for. I was confident that standing on a sheet metal surface while piloting would not be a problem...I just wanted to see if anyone else had issue with it in the past.

I feel sorry for Flynfrank..apparently he drives to the desert, or other completly uninhabited areas with no metal or water in the area where he is safe to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl