Fly to specific coordinate

Reaction score
I have a coworker asking me if I can fly to a specific coordinate. I figure I can, but without trying, I'm not sure. I don't have my P3 right now to try. He has a photo taken from another drone (unknown make and model). The photo has the Lat Long in the exif info. How can I fly to that specific spot and altitude to take a similar picture? Do lat and longs show up on the GO app and I can just manually navigate? Or, can I somehow enter the coordinate to fly to? Waypoints won't quite do it, I think.

Reactions: Flyingoak
I've not seen a way to do it automatically. Best bet would be to use the map and get as close as you can and do some practice shots.

If there is a way I look forward to hearing about it.

How can I fly to that specific spot and altitude to take a similar picture? Do lat and longs show up on the GO app and I can just manually navigate? Or, can I somehow enter the coordinate to fly to? Waypoints won't quite do it, I think.
You can do it but the Go app isn't going to do it for you.
I can think of two ways.
1. Get a handheld GPS, plug in the desired Lat & Long, walk to that position, launch and fly straight up to the desired altitude (which is also in the Exif data) and fire away.
2. Go to Google Earth and make notes or print a screenshot to show exactly where the target location is. Cache the detailed map for the location and fly, checking your app map details (with the camera pointing straight down) against your printed details.

I have a coworker asking me if I can fly to a specific coordinate. I figure I can, but without trying, I'm not sure. I don't have my P3 right now to try. He has a photo taken from another drone (unknown make and model). The photo has the Lat Long in the exif info. How can I fly to that specific spot and altitude to take a similar picture? Do lat and longs show up on the GO app and I can just manually navigate? Or, can I somehow enter the coordinate to fly to? Waypoints won't quite do it, I think.

There might be a third party app that does. Don't recall if autopilot does or not.

If you try it just be sure it's not over 1/2 your minutes to get there as you want time to get back.

I have exactly the same requirement. Tapping the map just isn't accurate enough what's needed, is a way to enter the coordinates manually or to edit the ones generated in Litchi

My q500 has this as part of on screen telemetry. It would make it a breeze, so to speak. It would be great if it was added to telemetry.

If you are using an Android device, get the Litchi app. Navigate to Ground Station Mission Editor - Litchi and plot out the course, save it to the Litchi 'mission' folder on your app.
Use Litchi to load it into your craft and fly it.

The above instruction has been a simplified, you should practice with Litchi, read the Litchi manual and familiarize yourself with the Litchi Ground Station map.

But, it does can easily perform what you need.

Here is a Litchi Ground Station course flight I did a while back:

LitchiGS.jpg

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Thanks all. I have Litchi, Go, and Drone Deploy. I'll try the Litchi ground control method. I wish one of them would just display the coords on screen! That would be close enough. I imagine we'll do the Google earth print as well. We'll have the original photo, so we should get pretty close.

I gave the Litchi Ground station a whirl. I wish I could edit the file it creates to enter exact coordinates, but it's a binary file. Gibberish in Notepad. Close, but not perfect unless I'm missing something. I do like that feature, though. It will help create my mapping flight paths. I experimented with Drone Deploy this weekend and I think it's flight paths don't have enough overlap. I've not used the "high overlap" check box yet. That would probably fix it, of course.

I work for a fire department in Utah. We have a lot of back country rescues. I'm trying to initiate a drone program for help with this and other incidents related to the job. We use hand held gps units for these usually. I think having the coordinates on the go app screen would be perfect for this. I'm actually going to try it out tomorrow during some training. Not having the coordinates on the screen now I'm figuring that I can at least get a better view of the area and maybe hover over our patient. Maybe if enough of us ask for the coordinates feature dji will add it to an update

I work for a fire department in Utah. We have a lot of back country rescues. I'm trying to initiate a drone program for help with this and other incidents related to the job. We use hand held gps units for these usually. I think having the coordinates on the go app screen would be perfect for this. I'm actually going to try it out tomorrow during some training. Not having the coordinates on the screen now I'm figuring that I can at least get a better view of the area and maybe hover over our patient. Maybe if enough of us ask for the coordinates feature dji will add it to an update

Litchi will do this but, just in case you are not aware, since this is not recreational use you technically need a 333 exemption and certified pilots as the operators.

Lyle, you can do this in litchi. Enter a way point normally, then tap on the waypoint, and you can edit the coordinate numbers directly. Then save it. Then recall it via waypoints.. you don,the Ned any more precision (decimals points) than litchi has. Try it
Joe
KC7GHT

Thanks Joe. I've found Drone Deploy to be perfect for my flight planning. But I'll keep this Litchi feature in mind for other things.

FPV Camera/Waypoint App you can enter Lat/Long directly for your waypoint missions.

Great App, I use it every day.

In litchi go to settings, then the general tab, enable show gps cordinates and then it will display on main screen. Furthermore in waypoints select a waypoint and go to its editing menu and dial in the exact lat long cordinates you need.hope this helps. Here's some screen shots of the screens with the info
Screenshot_20160720-183955.png
Screenshot_20160720-184014.png

Reactions: Meta4
Didnt mean to double post images
<<Fixed>>

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also do it on Google Earth and turn it into a Litchi mission using this method:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've done a couple and in steep varying terrain and it works fine.

SB

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic