Fly over Coast Guard facility.

Reaction score
My youngest son passed away 12 years ago. Every year on his birthday we have a Lighthouse in our local harbor lit in memory of him (which is today). This year I have a P4P and would love to get aerial footage of this event. There is a Coast Guard Facility directly across the street from the light house. I've checked the DJI no fly map and it says it is safe to fly there. My question is it okay to fly above or around an Government facility? I really don't want a fleet of black suburbans show up in the middle of the flight to take me away.

Reactions: loonie01
My deepest condolences on the loss of your son. I would go see them first and explain why you wish to fly there and ask them if it's ok, this way no surprises for you or them.

^^^^^ Great answer :)

We live close to the coast guard on the lake erie and , they do send a boat out to you asking you to fly the other way. They also ask a lot of questions as to why you are flying over them. It can be a hectic so I would see them first and let them know, If they have a chopper pad your not going to be able to fly . The lighthouse is a great way to honor , well done..

My youngest son passed away 12 years ago. Every year on his birthday we have a Lighthouse in our local harbor lit in memory of him (which is today). This year I have a P4P and would love to get aerial footage of this event. There is a Coast Guard Facility directly across the street from the light house. I've checked the DJI no fly map and it says it is safe to fly there. My question is it okay to fly above or around an Government facility? I really don't want a fleet of black suburbans show up in the middle of the flight to take me away.
Sorry to hear about your son. I hope they will let you please post it the do

Well I took Erised advice and simply knocked on the door. A thin gentleman came to the door and listened to my request. He not only allowed me to fly unrestricted but also asked if he could watch me pilot the drone. He was interested in getting one for himself and had a million questions. I even let him take control for a little bit to show how easy they are to fly. Thanks for the advice and for the condolences. Turned out to be a very chilly day but still had a good turn out to share his memory.
VideoCapture_20180408-195455.jpg VideoCapture_20180408-195352.jpg

GREAT TO HEAR!!! Glad you got the flight in, and also did the right thing and just asked.. So many folks just do it, and ask for forgiveness later.. That just causes a lot of heartburn for everyone, even know you were fine to fly... Sometimes, a little "heads up" is all anyone is asking for. It ended up probably being just as much of an enjoyment for him to watch and learn, and you know you will always be able to fly this in the future..

Prayers sent on your loss..

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94