Flowtation device

Reaction score
I have an assignement which will require that I fly over a lake. To be on the safe side, is there any device that would allow my phantom device to float in case of an accident or battery drain?

I'm assuming that there might be high winds and the phantom will be working harder than usual and might drain the batteries faster.

In the case that the phantom crashes in the water, is there any device that is lightweight and in case that the phantom falls out of the sky, that it would float and I can easily retrieve it.

You can use the GetterBack to rescue it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There aren't any devices out that'll make it float though.

Last edited:
Get a couple of pieces of styrofoam. Cut to fit the landing gear and allow for the camera.
Strap to the landing gear with wire ties.
Test in a tub before use.

+1 on the getterback that is what I strap on if I am around water .
You can try a search over the past couple years some have done some DIY like stated above .
GL!

Do a search for the word "float" in titles and text. You will find lots methods people have tried. Be aware that the Phantom is just as likely to land upside down or flip over even if it lands upright. If the electronics and camera get wet, they may never work right again, especially if it is salt water.
Floats will affect handling and flight time. They will likely show up in the video. I have tried many float systems before giving up and building a waterproof quad.

Welcome to the forum jesusq,

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/amphibious-fc40-if-you-cant-laugh-updated-now-twice-1.27099/
I had some serious "NEGATIVE" aerodynamic issues in my case.
Maybe I will try again without the prop guards.

If you do some kind of modification, you should do an advanced IMU calibration, a compass calibration, and some test flying before getting over the lake.
Good Luck

This will help you find things in our forum. It's Google Custom Search.
Enter your text in the middle of the page, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

There aren't any devices out that'll make it float though.

Yes there are. There's the "Water Buoy" which works in a similar way to the getterback, but inflates an illuminated balloon that will float 1kg to the surface. Add one for each kg of weight (2 or 3 should lift a Phantom). They're small, light, and because it raises the item to the surface, it will work even in water deeper than 100foot, where the getterback won't help in really deep water.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Yes there are. There's the "Water Buoy" which works in a similar way to the getterback, but inflates an illuminated balloon that will float 1kg to the surface. Add one for each kg of weight (2 or 3 should lift a Phantom). They're small, light, and because it raises the item to the surface, it will work even in water deeper than 100foot, where the getterback won't help in really deep water.
waterbuoy seems to have sunk without trace. I cant see anywhere which sells it, which is a pity.

I selected Australia, and it came up with details of a place here.
I know they were sold here recently, as a friend bought some.
I'm sure other countries are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I selected Australia, and it came up with details of a place here.
I know they were sold here recently, as a friend bought some.
I'm sure other countries are the same.

Hopefully I have missed something, but I have just been through all the distributers world wide and they are either "out of stock" or the distributer has folded.

Well, that really sucks. I hope they resurface soon (pun intended).
I've contacted some of the dealers and resellers to see if they know anything about where they went to. I wonder if I can convince a mate to part with some of his. He has them all over his drones.

Reactions: Hughie
Well, that really sucks. I hope they resurface soon (pun intended).
I've contacted some of the dealers and resellers to see if they know anything about where they went to. I wonder if I can convince a mate to part with some of his. He has them all over his drones.

He might only sell them at an inflated price though :)

Reactions: Ezookiel
This is getting blown out of all proportion

Waterbuoy does not work.

I'm going to show that video to mates that have these things plastered all over their machines.

Waterbuoy does not work.
It kind of explains why you cant buy it then :)
Thanks for posting.

Home made, is best...
maxresdefault.jpg

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic