Flight Restrictions Map

Reaction score
Here's a nice website Gregory (co-owner of project) emailed me about. It seems like a great tool and it's user interface really makes it stand apart. I also enjoy the customization of being able to select the types of airspace.

Check it out: http://AirMap.IO

Reactions: dirkclod
Very nice! FYI, you don't have to sign in to use this. Just click outside of the sign in box and it will go away.

And, I was about to leave without trying it. But, randomly clicking around paid off ;)

This is very helpful. In some way, this should be a sticky or recorded as a really useful link!

Thanks!
Chris

Oh dear yet another flight restrictions map which doesn't know anything outside the US exists :rolleyes:

Reactions: Electric Warrior
Umm. This shows pretty much ALL of the U.S. is a no-fly zone :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430597307.194264.jpg

Canada, however is wide open :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob
According to this map there are only a few hundred acres in the entire Puget Sound area of Washington State where I can legally fly???

I've been using "Hover" on iOS. I think they have an android version as well. You can also use it on location as a last minute check to make sure you are not in restricted airspace when you are about to take off.

Wyoming looks pretty wide open. I get to erase 2 of the red airport dots because the airport managers said I could fly there. :p

Looks like good info (bad news, but good info) if all you're looking for is airports.

Hey Jacob, do you know if he plans to add National Parks and Monuments?

Sadly, last time I looked Hover only had US flight maps too. What is this a conspiracy ?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
According to this map there are only a few hundred acres in the entire Puget Sound area of Washington State where I can legally fly???

The red circles are NOT "No Fly Zones" They are merely the area covered by the 5 mile notification area around US airports.

I like this new app, but it is important for people to take the time to understand what it is telling them.

One feature I like is that it depicts the actual airspace outlines (if selected). Useful for knowing where you might be in the airspace of an airport that extends to the ground even if you are 5 miles away from the airport itself.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Oh dear yet another flight restrictions map which doesn't know anything outside the US exists :rolleyes:

Because it is designed by people in the US for use in the US National Airspace System (NAS). Maybe somebody where you live will take the thousands of hours this required to do the same for your location?

The red circles are NOT "No Fly Zones" They are merely the area covered by the 5 mile notification area around US airports.

I like this new app, but it is important for people to take the time to understand what it is telling them.

One feature I like is that it depicts the actual airspace outlines (if selected). Useful for knowing where you might be in the airspace of an airport that extends to the ground even if you are 5 miles away from the airport itself.

Yellow might be a more appropriate color then, or a combination of red immediately around the airports and yellow out to 5 miles.

In UI design it's the "principal of least astonishment" :)

Because it is designed by people in the US for use in the US National Airspace System (NAS). Maybe somebody where you live will take the thousands of hours this required to do the same for your location?
Yes I agree with your general sentiment. My point really is that it is touted as a tool for all users of this forum when cleary it is not. US NAS was not mentioned, and it is not even clearly mentioned on the website. If it is a private tool for one country's use if would be polite to say so on the post.

Yellow might be a more appropriate color then, or a combination of red immediately around the airports and yellow out to 5 miles.

In UI design it's the "principal of least astonishment" :)

I made just that recommendation to Gregory. He seemed to understand it and I'm optimistic that this change will be implemented. Still and all, a great first effort from him and his group.

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31