Flight recorded with Engineering Map background

Reaction score
I would like to substitute a properly scaled engineering map for the Google sat view that Litchi uses and record the progress of the flight around the engineering map instead of the google sat view or google map.
Is there a way to do this with Litchi ? I then want to take an edit in that recording with the drone video that is taken as a 1/4 screen view. So you can see where you are on the engineering map relative to the video.
Has anyone done anything like this ?
any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks in advance
Jerry

Last edited:
A drawing that is scaled correctly would also need to contain georeferencing information that ties it into latitude/longitude. I don't think Litchi has any way of substituting the Google Map with such a drawing. It would be different if Litchi used Google Earth Pro as the source for the map because any drawing can be overlaid onto GEP, but unfortunately it dosn't. You might want to contact the developer.

And then to add a 1/4-size video from the drone onto the final production, you would need to do that using a video editing software with that capability.

A drawing that is scaled correctly would also need to contain georeferencing information that ties it into latitude/longitude. I don't think Litchi has any way of substituting the Google Map with such a drawing. It would be different if Litchi used Google Earth Pro as the source for the map because any drawing can be overlaid onto GEP, but unfortunately it dosn't. You might want to contact the developer.

And then to add a 1/4-size video from the drone onto the final production, you would need to do that using a video editing software with that capability.

If the Map is first scaled properly and then Registered ontop of the Google map image with the correct orientation and placement. You don't need georeferencing info for that. They are already providing it. My map is just substituted in place of the Google Map picture and the drone is seen flying over it instead.

OK. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
MapMaker53,
Your earlier comments about geolocation led me to think that possibly between Litchi or the DJI app there could be a recorded log file of Time and Geoposition. If I have access to a log file from my flight, I can write an app to create what I want after the fact. Thanks for the idea. Now I have to contact Litchi and DJI support and find if such a Log is created.

If the Map is first scaled properly and then Registered ontop of the Google map image with the correct orientation and placement. You don't need georeferencing info for that. They are already providing it. My map is just substituted in place of the Google Map picture and the drone is seen flying over it instead.
All that is true, but the DJI and Litchi apps do not provide any means of adding map layers to the maps they are using.

Is this something that you need in real time or something to view afterwards?

Anotherlab, thanks for your response.
I understand that, My intent is to do this in post processing. The steps I envision are as follows.
Create flight plan in Litchi, fly and film it.
Using the flight log , Create a windows app that will display the moving drone position over a fixed bitmap( engineering map) while recording the display.
Now create an approximate 1/4 size or less picture in picture of the Flight over the engineering map inside the Film of the flight using video editing software.

Some pretty extreme lengths but I only have to do it once. I wish Litchi would allow me to substitute a fixed scaled bitmap for their Google map in the flight plan as that would solve my issue.
If you or anyone sees any holes in this please comment.

If anyone knows of an app like this, that already exists, please enlighten me and save me some time.
Thanks.

I'm not aware of any app that does this now, but if you want to do it yourself, it shouldn't be that hard.

You should be able to do this with Google Earth. You can overlay images, a common use case is to display parcel boundaries. See this video for details on how to do that:

If you can convert the logs from the drone to a KML file, you can play back that KML file in Google Earth. Just "google" the terms "playback kml google earth", you'll find a ton of resources.

To record that playback, just use Camtasia (not free but really good) or Open Broadcaster (free and good). Both should support an inlay video feed from the drone.

AnotherLab , Awesome ! The video shows sizing and getting the overlay properly registered on the graphic.
All things I thought I was going to have to do by trial and error manually.
Thanks this may be exactly what I need.

That Line Vision software looks promising for real estate shoots on large properties/farms or developments. I'll have to look into this further as I get more experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures