Flight Permit for Real Estate Question...

Reaction score
I'm in Canada and to get a special flight operations certificate it can take up to six months! So how are others doing real estate videos claiming they can do it next day?

Probably on the down low. Same as "Shoot and run." Even the majors in Hollywood pull it with their expensive permit to shoot some scene in say West Hollywood, but "The sun is too bright on this side of Santa Monica Blvd. as opposed to across the street" so they relocate across the street into Beverly Hills where their permit is invalid, yet they "Shoot and run" too than pull/pay/and wait for another permit. Go figger.

Would be interesting to see how many "commercial" flights are actually legal. I just saw some TV ad for some drug (Tri-something) where a family is in some park flying a Phantom and used another drone above to film it and I wondered if the city banned drones from their parks like around here and if it were 100% legal. Okay, add all the TV car lot aerial ads and local TV station aerial videos too. Okay, add the late night flights with the fire dept. looking for illegal July 4th fireworks too (ahem!).

Standing SFOC .
There are some of us that have gone through the lengthy process.
So the people doing the missions your talking about may have also. or as Gmack said they do it illegally.
After completing multiple SFOC applications and successful flights you apply for " Standing" status which allows you to fly missions without applying to TC. You must stay within the constraints of the Standing SFOC.
Do you already have UAV certification and ROC A licence or are you a licenced Pilot?
The rules will be changing sometime this year though, see this
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

Probably on the down low. Same as "Shoot and run." Even the majors in Hollywood pull it with their expensive permit to shoot some scene in say West Hollywood, but "The sun is too bright on this side of Santa Monica Blvd. as opposed to across the street" so they relocate across the street into Beverly Hills where their permit is invalid, yet they "Shoot and run" too than pull/pay/and wait for another permit. Go figger.

Would be interesting to see how many "commercial" flights are actually legal. I just saw some TV ad for some drug (Tri-something) where a family is in some park flying a Phantom and used another drone above to film it and I wondered if the city banned drones from their parks like around here and if it were 100% legal. Okay, add all the TV car lot aerial ads and local TV station aerial videos too. Okay, add the late night flights with the fire dept. looking for illegal July 4th fireworks too (ahem!).

Thanks for responding!

Standing SFOC .
There are some of us that have gone through the lengthy process.
So the people doing the missions your talking about may have also. or as Gmack said they do it illegally.
After completing multiple SFOC applications and successful flights you apply for " Standing" status which allows you to fly missions without applying to TC. You must stay within the constraints of the Standing SFOC.
Do you already have UAV certification and ROC A licence or are you a licenced Pilot?
The rules will be changing sometime this year though, see this
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

How do you get a UAV certificate? Not sure on what steps to take. But the link was very informative thank you!

I see your in Orono. Nice area, go through there a dozen times a year.
Again Transport Canada will change the regulations in 2018 so the present process will change.

Here is a link to the SI (inspector staff instruction)
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-4161.html
Here is a link to the online application
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/applying-special-flight-operations-certificate.html
Here is a link to the SFOC exemptions
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/ac-600-004-2136.html

The UAV ( so to be called UAS) pilot certificate is basically a ground school course and test.
There maybe many available( google it) eg. Waterloo airport has a school or online course and test is available as well eg. www.pilottraining.ca
It's A LOT of work to get the Standing SFOC
By the time you get everything in place they may have introduced the new regs.
It will likely take you a year to get a Standing.
If you want to go this route , let me know and I will the procedure.

Can a city "ban drones"? I was under the impression that the Feds have said they cannot blanket ban drone use.

Can a city "ban drones"? I was under the impression that the Feds have said they cannot blanket ban drone use.

They can ban you from taking off or landing on city property. We have a "No drones allowed" ordinance in our local parks and I get a notice once a year about it too. I've tried to get our local supervisor to respond, but he is mum on the topic with regards to a sponsored athletic field being a park or not. I got the impression the supervisors would like to ban them entirely under some public nuisance or privacy matter. No doubt it's a "Get a ticket and pay to fight it" scenario should it come to that. Drones laws are pretty much a gray area and subject to the badge that shows up and the judge's idea on the bench. Seems the FAA stays out of local matters (The Droneslayer shooting down of drones comes to mind and the judge that sided with him.) and just operates in an advisory role with regards to local matters.

They can ban you from taking off or landing on city property. We have a "No drones allowed" ordinance in our local parks and I get a notice once a year about it too. I've tried to get our local supervisor to respond, but he is mum on the topic with regards to a sponsored athletic field being a park or not. I got the impression the supervisors would like to ban them entirely under some public nuisance or privacy matter. No doubt it's a "Get a ticket and pay to fight it" scenario should it come to that. Drones laws are pretty much a gray area and subject to the badge that shows up and the judge's idea on the bench. Seems the FAA stays out of local matters (The Droneslayer shooting down of drones comes to mind and the judge that sided with him.) and just operates in an advisory role with regards to local matters.
Is there a property owner adjacent that would allow takeoff and landing??

Every State is different. Texas legislature, and governor signed the bill, passed a bill, effective 9/1/17, stating that cities and counties cannot ban anyone from taking off, landing, or flying an UAV, and any previous zoning laws regarding such bans are null and void.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20