Flight Over People

Reaction score
Does anyone know which category the P4P fits in with the new flight over people regulations coming out? Is a P4P Category 2 or 3?

I don't know how is in States but here in Europe there is no category permitting P4P to fly over people.
Generally flying over people is not allowed at all except if the people are part of the film scenery and give informed consent.

Does anyone know which category the P4P fits in with the new flight over people regulations coming out? Is a P4P Category 2 or 3?

As I understand it category 2 has three requirements; 1) may not cause injury to a person that is equivalent to or greater than the severity of injury caused from the transfer of 11 ft lbs of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object. 2) It also may not have any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin upon impact. 3) It must also not contain any safety defects. The first two requires FAA accepted means of compliance and FAA declaration of compliance.

Category 3 has three requirements; 1) may not cause injury to a person that is equivalent to or greater than the severity of injury caused from the transfer of 25 ft lbs of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object. 2) It also may not have any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin upon impact. 3) It must also not contain any safety defects. The first two requires FAA accepted means of compliance and FAA declaration of compliance.

Additionally category 2 & 3 must be RID capable.

Category 2 may fly over people and open-air assemblies in sustained flight.

Category 3 may NOT operate over open-air assemblies and may operate over people if one of these two conditions is met. 1) the operation is within or over a closed or restricted access site and the people under the closed or restricted access must be on notice that a small unmanned aircraft may fly over them. 2) the unmanned aircraft does not maintain sustained flight over any human being unless that person is participating in the operation or is located under a covered structure or in a stationary vehicle.

So depending on which one of two injury thresholds (11 or 25 ft lbs) you could prove to the FAA by acceptable means to them is what category you would fall under.

Yes. Ypu are entirely right. What I am trying to discover and verify is which category is a P4P?

Your P4P does not fall into any category by itself. If you modify it by means acceptable to the FAA that it will cause less injury (if it fell from the sky and hit a person) than 11 ft lbs of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object, and either stop the props from spinning or have them enclosed as to not lacerate human skin upon contact then you could be category 2.
Putting a parachute I assume is an acceptable means of compliance. I will email ParaZero this week and ask if their product meets the category 2 impact requirement.
This is very expensive way to fly over people. The parachute along with the accompanying ASTM FA3322-18 declaration of compliance for the phantom 4 will cost $2000.00.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the ParaZero parachute for the phantoms puts them in category 3 and not 2. The impact energy is around 21.0 joules or 15.489 ft lbs.
IMG_1615923253.842145.jpg

IMG_1615923336.717774.jpg

The Phantom cannot currently qualify as any category. This requires testing and a Declaration of Compliance from the manufacturer. So for flight over people, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sorry...

The Phantom cannot currently qualify as any category. This requires testing and a Declaration of Compliance from the manufacturer. So for flight over people, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sorry...

ParaZero’s SafeAir Phantom parachute has gone through the testing by acceptable means to the FAA and has the approved declaration of compliance for $1500 (not including the parachute). I haven’t yet but when the certain planets align I’ll be pulling the trigger.

IMG_1618358612.525626.jpg

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Interesting report. Thanks, skymonkey.

Very good according to safety but not so good according to GPS signal. In a narrow places even a small diminishing in signal strenth can cut off GPS. But probably in such places there won't be people under the drone.
So in general this is an exellent device. Don't know how in states ,but here in EU Slovenia cvould get it for 300 EU.

A parachute does sound like a reasonable way to address the problem of energy transfer in a crash. But because of the way the regs are worded, IMHO, you will NOT be able to self-certify your existing drone to a Category by adding a third-party parachute recovery system to it.

Maybe this will change in the future. But I believe Category qualification can only be determined by a manufacturer who has designed an entire UA that meets the requirements. The regulatory wording is complex and contains nested logic so feel free to disagree if you wish.

Very good according to safety but not so good according to GPS signal. In a narrow places even a small diminishing in signal strenth can cut off GPS. But probably in such places there won't be people under the drone.
So in general this is an exellent device. Don't know how in states ,but here in EU Slovenia cvould get it for 300 EU.

I loose about 20-25% satellites when flying with parachute. It’s $300 here in the states but without the ASTM Professional Kit which includes the DOC you cannot do OOP.

A parachute does sound like a reasonable way to address the problem of energy transfer in a crash. But because of the way the regs are worded, IMHO, you will NOT be able to self-certify your existing drone to a Category by adding a third-party parachute recovery system to it.

Maybe this will change in the future. But I believe Category qualification can only be determined by a manufacturer who has designed an entire UA that meets the requirements. The regulatory wording is complex and contains nested logic so feel free to disagree if you wish.

IMG_1618417214.844170.jpg

Yes, parachutes. Just not as an end-user add-on. I don't believe any individual will be able to certify his/her existing aircraft by adding an aftermarket parachute. Maybe that will change, but that's how it looks to me at this time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4