Flew over a car crash real quick while stuck in traffic

Since your 60, I thought you would have a little more respect for other people. Yes the flight he took wasn't right and yes it was dangerous but the fact you think your superior over someone because of your income is wrong. You've not even been a member on here for 24 hours and your already trying to cause a fight. This forum isn't here for you to show off to people how much you make and tell people how amazing you are.

Go find another forum to pick fights on new pilots. We're all new to hobbies at some point and you should be nurturing people into better pilots instead of having a go at them and telling them to go crash and get out of the sky.

Now act 60 years old and not a hormonal teenage know it all!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Most people who brag about making a lot of money are usually lying. Forums like this are to help people with advice. Some trolls just like to cause trouble and put people down.

So after a few weeks of owning a phantom, got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before I decided to send the drone out of the trunk of my car and see what the hold up was... Caught some crazy footage ... Thoughts? Should I not have recorded this? Legal? Illegal?

If in the US, this is straight from the FAA website. Basically what you did was not recommended, nor the best reflection on those of us whom fly legally and responsibly. Too much bad press these days.
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

If in the US, this is straight from the FAA website. Basically what you did was not recommended, nor the best reflection on those of us whom fly legally and responsibly. Too much bad press these days.

I am not for or against this rule, but I can assure you that 99.999 percent of quad user here violate this 2 rule

Also if we are to strictly fellow this 2 rule. There is no reason to get any quad with performance above P3S

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just read this whole thread and holy hell you guys are a bunch of savages except for the few of you who actually gave constructive feedback. I honestly don't see the big deal over this flight. Not saying I would've done the same, but if he flew off the side of the road and filmed the accident, what's the big deal? "It's insensitive", there is no difference between him filming the accident, and a news helicopter filming the accident, it's for the same purpose in the end. I'm not saying this was the best choice in the world, but you guys are acting like he flew over an airport, through a cockpit window of a 747, and out the lavatory of an airplane. There were no rules or laws broken, therefore this should not be the magnitude of the issue you guys make it out to be. Now to see who gets butthurt over my comment and calls me out in a fury of profane words.

you guys are acting like he flew over an airport, through a cockpit window of a 747, and out the lavatory of an airplane. .
It's a common theme here. I have learned to treat the over the top statements like white noise. I try to eliminate it and when I can't, I just ignore it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I hate that you're getting very little constructive feedback, but my thoughts - it is generally illegal in the US (per FAA and/or AMA guidelines) to fly over people or moving vehicles (I think that's how it's worded). The logic there is probably linked to the fact that while flight failures are rare, they will eventually happen, and you don't want a drone crashing straight on somebody's head or through their windshield.

Also, the FAA historically charges pilots with "careless or reckless" operation for doing something that isn't specifically spelled out as illegal, and they would probably charge a drone pilot the same if they wanted to. If you are launching or landing from an active highway (even if traffic is currently stopped, but could start moving again) and flying near large groups of people and potentially "near" emergency vehicles and such, I suspect that could fall under the "careless or reckless" interpretations. But I'm not a lawyer.

Not saying what you did is akin to murder, but it might not have been a good idea, so I would recommend against something that high profile and near that many people in the future.

Thank you. a loser like me makes over 330k a year in my commercial production business on my own. How much do you make? You sound like you would be good to learn from.
bit of self fulfilment there hey? if you don't have anything constructive to say then why bother?

Reactions: InkyRisk
im thankful i live in Africa lol, the laws here are so out of whack, no officer of the law would know what to do if he saw a drone .
Keep it safe, at a decent distance, and why not?

Reactions: Mr. Pina Colada
Don't fly over roadways what nonsense. I can't get anywhere without crossing a roadway in a perpendicular direction at minimum. The absolute best anyone can do is that. Anybody that says they don't fly over roads or cars is just being self riotous. Can't say what it really means, don't buzz cars and interfere through being a driver distraction. That rule has very little to do with hardware failure or collision.

A plane crash is not normal operation and contingencies are not planned under normal use cases. F the general population has an annoying depth of understanding.

I'm a new pilot. I'd have had trouble resisting the temptation to do the same.

Having said that, I don't think you made the best decision.

I guess I'm saying just be careful in the future. I'd like to have the ability to keep flying my Phantom without any more restrictions. I don't mind the ones I am required to deal with now, but I don't want more.

I live in the 5 mile area around 2 airports - which means I need to call 2 control towers, let them know and then I can fly.

As of yet the control towers haven't had an issue with me flying.

Oh no not a "I make more money than you" thing. Nice. Let's all pull our ... Nevermind. There are women in these forums.

I actually wanted to do this the other day when I was stopped for 15 minutes on 75. As long as you aren't obstructing the lifeflifgt helicopters, you're fine. I would have flown over the median and been fine. Cops can't do anything as long as you aren't on private property. They think they can but they can't.

I figured if this was super important it wouldn't let you do this, kinda like it doesn't let you go over 1600 feet or whatever. i think of this like speed limits. more of a suggestion. lol

btw - why do you pay for an app that lets you fly out of sight missions if your not allowed?? if you wanna get mad at someone, blame the people that made that app.

For one thing, traffic was stuck. That means it's technically more a parking lot that a highway.

I think the question was "can I film a car accident".

Chill, people. Or you won't be asked for advice again.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
btw - why do you pay for an app that lets you fly out of sight missions if your not allowed?? if you wanna get mad at someone, blame the people that made that app.

Bad argument. It's a bad analogy but people can buy firearms and yet it's forbidden to kill people.

I stick to the Pirate Code. To quote the great Capt. Barbosa. The FAA rules are "more like, guidelines".

Use your best judgement and have a plan. Asses the situation. If you assume the risk and don't be surprised when some jackoff cop tries to get all in your ****. I only have another 20 years of really pain-free, quality life before I'm old and not worth a ****. I'm going to take advantage of that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack54
pretty sure you can kill people when you need to... but flying out of sight isn't causing any deaths so not sure what the big deal is.
Not a single drone incident has caused a single death, that chances of a drone killing anyone is very unlikely. It would have a higher probability to cause an injury. The fact that this hobby has to be compared to the amount of deaths caused by it only means people like you are being irresponsible. responsible hobbyists know what they should and should not be doing, and when you follow the guidelines people do not get injured or killed. Yes accidents do happen but following the guidelines are there to prevent those accidents. You're essentialy saying "Yeah I shot my pistol over there, but it didn't kill anybody so it shouldn't be a big deal". It's not what it did at the exact moment but what it could do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl