Fished out my P3 from the flood. Need some advice.

OH that is for sure. Like I said in an earlier post, its either going to be the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. Either way you will see it. But I am confident that it will fire up. Once that happens then I will take her outside and send off on a short flight. Gonna happen this week end for sure.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has followed this thread and have offered advice on what to do. Without this forum and the people in it, this would have been more difficult or next to impossible to even do. Fingers are crossed.

If this things comes back to life, it will be renamed "The Phoenix"

A phoenix depicted in a book of legendary creatures by FJ Bertuch(1747–1822)
In Greek mythology, a phoenix (Ancient Greek: φοῖνιξ phoînix) is a long-lived bird that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again.

Get some electronic cleaner spray radio shack had it but they shut down a lot of if not all the stores (I’m not sure if they went out of business across the board?) it comes in a can like wd40! I had a expensive electronic item take a bat and used WD40 to clean it and force the water off/out of it then the electronic cleaner to remove the WD40 residue, this will only work if the drone is disassembled so you can see that you removed all the dirt and WD40 you definitely don’t want any of its residue in there when you fire it up! Just a suggestion.

Tomorrow is the day.
I will video this in steps.
1. Install battery and turn it on and check for escaping smoke.
2. Make sure that the bird and the remote connect without issues.
3. Check camera picture and movement.
4. Fire up the drone without any props to see how the motors sound and react.
5. If all goes well in the previous 4 steps, then I will put some props on and put it in the air.
6. Take it up to about five feet and hover there. Pull the drone away from that spot by hand to see if the GPS is working correctly. Should go back to the original spot.
7. Take it out for a spin not too high or too far and test the RTH.

I can't think of anything else to do. If you guys see something that I missed, please let me know. I am confident that this is going to start. I am on the fence if all of the features are going to work but I will find out tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Like I said I will video all of it. It will be in sections as described above. I will upload the videos when all the tests are completed or when I hit the first failure. The PHOENIX will rise!

Reactions: Jgreg0912
can't think of anything else to do. If you guys see something that I missed, please let me know.

I saw no mention of film crews from your local media outlets to document this event. Seriously, you've put FAR more time and effort into this project than many others would, including myself. I hope all goes well for you. Good luck.

I saw no mention of film crews from your local media outlets to document this event. Seriously, you've put FAR more time and effort into this project than many others would, including myself. I hope all goes well for you. Good luck.

CNN will be there, as wells National Geographic. Nothing but the best.
Oh and Stormy Daniels..lol

McP, this has been a great thread to follow! Your diligence in resurrecting "Phoenix" (quite an apropos name BTW) is appreciated and captivating. Thanks for your step-wise posts and pics to document restoring your bird to full function! You offer a TON of hope to newbs like me who may have the misfortune of your experience! Wishing you all the best for your successful rescue tests and initial launch. As previously stated, please capture video of the events...waiting patiently for your good news story,
- Scorp

And FWIW, CNN are pikers for this stuff! This is straight-up TMZ material...

And while we're at it...if It ends up that Phoenix doesn't perform at all, or perform to spec, PLEASE set up a GoFundMe Page and post the link here?

I've got $5-$10 for the lessons you've conveyed in your restoration!!! Hopefully you'd receive enough to significantly offset the acquisition of a new bird!

Also, a hat-tip to all for sharing your expertise and opinions! Let's get McP flying again, regardless of this weekend's tests! Whaddya say???

ADMINS: Not sure if this is permitted, but I wanted to support the efforts of these value-added threads. This thread is a "sticky" keeper!

- Scorp

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
I hope this doesn’t end up like “Geraldo Opens Capone’s Vault” ;-)

Yeah, I remember watching that too...lol

This sucks.
I have to create a YouTube account so I can post the video..
Gonna be a little bit.

Unless there is a better way to upload video here.

OK here we go.
All the tests have been done and here are the results.

Test number 1 was to check for the smoke leaving the craft after the battery was installed and turned on:

Test number 2 and 3 was to make sure that the bird and the remote will communicate with each other.
Also to check the camera for a picture and to see if it moves.

Now this is the important one. This one had me on the edge of my seat. This was the big decider.
With the battery installed and the bird communicating it was time to try the motors......

Test 5 and 6 were to test flight if the other four tests proved to be ok.
Had to put the shell back together and and put some props on it.

I want to take some time out here to let everyone know that I appreciate all the help and support throughout this rebuilding process.
Thank you.
The bird has arisen......The Phoenix has been reborn once again!

Funny thing is that I did not have to calibrate the compass....thought that to be a little strange. I did do a cal anyway after all the tests were completed.
I think the one saving grace for the board is the fact that DJI did at least one thing right. Conformal Coating on the circuit board. Pretty much protected all of the components on the board. There are a few that were added to the board after the coating, and that is where I was concerned that I would have some problems.

All in all, I replaced a couple of cables because I didn't like they way they looked.
Replaced all the motors.
Replaced several screws that were on the rusty side.
Cleaned the entire shell piece by piece.

She seemed to be a little wobbly at first, but we had a bit of a wind right around the house here which may have contributed to the "dancing" a little when it was up in the air the first time.
Seemed to hold ok when it was above the house around 30 feet.

Thanks for everything folks.

Mike

I want to take some time out here to let everyone know that I appreciate all the help and support throughout this rebuilding process.
Thank you.
The bird has arisen......The Phoenix has been reborn once again!

Funny thing is that I did not have to calibrate the compass....thought that to be a little strange. I did do a cal anyway after all the tests were completed.
I think the one saving grace for the board is the fact that DJI did at least one thing right. Conformal Coating on the circuit board. Pretty much protected all of the components on the board. There are a few that were added to the board after the coating, and that is where I was concerned that I would have some problems.

All in all, I replaced a couple of cables because I didn't like they way they looked.
Replaced all the motors.
Replaced several screws that were on the rusty side.
Cleaned the entire shell piece by piece.

She seemed to be a little wobbly at first, but we had a bit of a wind right around the house here which may have contributed to the "dancing" a little when it was up in the air the first time.
Seemed to hold ok when it was above the house around 30 feet.

Thanks for everything folks.

Mike
I have so much enjoyed following you through this.

Last edited:
Reactions: shegeek72

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav