First time flying over water

Does anyone have any other than the original stock antenna's? I've been looking at the maxx uav & the titan stuff.
I have stock with the wind surfer. Works for what I need. I've heard the newer modifications don't do as much as they did on earlier versions. Most of the recent reviews were not good. I don't know if it's worth voiding your warranty for a few hundred feet as some have reported.

Reactions: garysinise
Does anyone have any other than the original stock antenna's? I've been looking at the maxx uav & the titan stuff.
The Titan setup only handles the 2.4Ghz band, but I don't think that's going to work well with P3S. They do work with Lightbridge Phantoms, like P3A and P3P. My P3P can get over 2mi with windsurfer. However for a P3S, not much you can do to get a mile since it uses WiFi for communications. Maybe in remote areas with a windsurfer on that one antenna you might get a mile.

Last edited:
Alternatively to waiting out the warranty, you could purchase a second RC and rig that one. I'm still afraid to go beyond 600 feet much less 2 miles. Will that fear ever go away? On the other hand, I may never need to fly further than that.

Alternatively to waiting out the warranty, you could purchase a second RC and rig that one. I'm still afraid to go beyond 600 feet much less 2 miles. Will that fear ever go away? On the other hand, I may never need to fly further than that.
I fly til I get weak signal warning.
Just remember if anything goes wrong it will come back to you.

You normally can't get a mile range with P3S, that's only normal with Lightbridge equipped DJI drones like P3A, P3P & P4P. But yes, after a couple months and 100+ flights you'll get more confidence in the craft (P3A, P3P, or P4P) to fly that far and return safely. You'll learn how important it is to keep a clear LOS connection, and occasionally look back at yourself to confirm your controller still has a LOS connection. Once that's mastered, you're good to wander beyond VLOS (don't tell the FAA) and explore more remote areas, which is a total adrenaline rush when you find something good to capture. You'll lay awake at night planning new ideas and locations to fly. Then spend hours on Google Maps in 3D mode planning the trip to find accessible areas up high to get the best range. Just right click the map to measure distances, that way you'll know your limits to target POIs.

Last edited:
I would beg to differ on the "cant get a mile" with a p3s ! ( unmodded.....it can be done)

I have seen an unmodded , no windsurfer added, p3s go out to very close to a mile. With another 50m of altitude im sure it would have broke the magic mile mark.

This water video was shot 5400' off shore. I was comfortable at this short distance, considering my P4P's range of 4+ miles. I wasn't comfortable getting lower than 75' where the seagulls were. I think this was the most exciting capture opportunity I've had in 2 yrs. Imagine the disappointment I would have experienced without adequate range to shoot this, like owners of Solo, Yuneec Typhoon H, or a Go Pro Karma.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simzy666 and nwcove
If it goes down its a business expense, thats the way it is with cameras, flying or not.......you can't fly scared.

more of my first flight over water..........
DJI_0043.JPG
DJI_0047.JPG
DJI_0048.JPG

Reactions: Phill2
I would think that flying over water would give you the best connection between tx and rc due to less interference.You just have to realize that if anything goes wrong it will RTH,well,most of the time.

Reactions: Phill2
Reactions: loonie01
Not sure really if that is worthy... your drone will still be dead from water damage.

you would be surprised how much water low voltage electronics will tolerate and survive. has to be clean(ish) fresh water though. salt water is death.

at the very least you could get the video and log stuff off the sd card.

i wouldnt trust the battery afterwards though. it might be smart enough to trust its self test, it might not.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicdoom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel