First time flying over water

Reaction score
IMG_1110.JPG
Flew for the first time over water......and it was as nerve wracking as my first flight over land!!!

Was probably no more than 50m out. I really want to fly out to that small island in the background tho! Would guess its around 1km out.

Was probably no more than 50m out. I really want to fly out to that small island in the background tho! Would guess its around 1km out.
flew yesterday along the coast opposite / parallel to Shelburne , had to stay away from the helipad , only got out to 500m down the shoreline , you should be able to get out to 400m easily and get a view of the island !

flew yesterday along the coast opposite / parallel to Shelburne , had to stay away from the helipad , only got out to 500m down the shoreline , you should be able to get out to 400m easily and get a view of the island !

I may or may not have been out to 1200m over forest, but this water thing is scary for some reason!

I may or may not have been out to 1200m over forest, but this water thing is scary for some reason!
If it falls in the forest, you might find it, I can understand that.
First time I flew an airplane over open Ocean, I sweated a lot.:oops:

Reactions: Philltayl
If it falls in the forest, you might find it, I can understand that.
First time I flew an airplane over open Ocean, I sweated a lot.:oops:
Thats probably it.......if it falls in the forest there is hope of finding it, if it falls into the ocean, i will know where it is........but no hope or point to recovery!! Lol

Nice picture, at first it's nerve racking but as you gain confidence in your craft it doesn't seem to make a difference over water or land. I fly about 30% of the time over water, my first time over the ocean was in St Anthony's NL going for an ice berg, It was a holy cow moment for sure. Living in Northern Ontario the bush is so so thick with spruce trying to find a P4 would be quite a task I hope not having to do any time soon. I can barely walk true the stuff and admirer moos and bears that just cruise true that mess.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Personally I feel safer flying over water. If the P3 goes down its gone but there's little chance that someone got hurt, property was damaged or I'll be sued.
Not really if you fly over a public park at the right time where you don't see people around. Chance are, the only property lost will be your phantom in case it felt down.

Does anyone have any other than the original stock antenna's? I've been looking at the maxx uav & the titan stuff.

I know the feeling!! I recently flew my first flight over water during my visit to Hawaii. As nerve-wracking as it was, I found altitude helped calm my fears. I've been comfortable flying around 100 to 200 ft, so I went up to about 150ft, 750ft out (a personal record) and followed a boat coming in.

After that, I had confidence flying out over water. Just remain aware of your battery life and the wind.

Here's a link to the vids. These were also my 1st time using SkyPixel and letting it do a quick edits!

Pohoiki Bay, The Big Island of Hawaii

Surfer's at One'ula Beach, Island of Oahu, Hawaii

One thing I noticed and I mostly fly over water is that while in p mode at low altitude often the reflections from the water can trick or mess up the flight/ height sensors so switch to s mode if you notice this

Here is something my wife told me one of the first times I was flying over the sea, I did not want to go far and she said "If it goes down 200 feet or 2 miles out whats the difference? It's a goner either way" She's right! then what really boosted my confidence is that she said that if I loose it we will just get another one!..Sometimes I remind her what she said, just in case.

I got hit today by a seagull attack over water. The phantom is fine, fortunately. I think the seagull is in pain tonight. I worry the seagull's lawyer is going to summons me. That's the ACLU for you. That's how bad things are in California.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20