First Thing to do

Reaction score
I just recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision +...I am wondering what I should do first. I have read a lot of problems concerning the wiring and was wondering how to check. Also I am presuming just updating the software is next.

Concerning pre flight checklist...Do you need to Calibrate the Compass everytime before flight or not?

Charge batteries, download/install software, update firmware, calibrate RC both alone and through phantom, basic calibrate IMU, calibrate compass and fly. It's under warranty no point in opening it.

I just recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision +...I am wondering what I should do first. I have read a lot of problems concerning the wiring and was wondering how to check. Also I am presuming just updating the software is next.

Concerning pre flight checklist...Do you need to Calibrate the Compass everytime before flight or not?

I calibrate the compass for every flight (only the first battery). It's part of my checklist items. Simple and quick, why wouldn't you?

I have not watched this but did send it to a friend who said it was very good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Spenie1975
Many thanks, I've just downloaded.. Looks to be very comprehensive at first glance.:)

It is. A ton of good links and it's not in Chinglish. :D

Keep it close for the first 10 or 20 flights. Change to naza mode. Make sure home point and home lock is working right. Every flight test to make sure home lock will bring it back when it is up and away.

Before u go to far or to high, make sure all the safety's work. Return to home switch, cut off tx and see if it come home. Check make sure both switches at top position when starting up. Try Home Lock when u get out about 30ft to make sure it work.

I calibrate the compass for every flight (only the first battery). It's part of my checklist items. Simple and quick, why wouldn't you?
Because it's unnecessary?
Because DJI didn't recommend it?
Because it introduces the possibility of a bad calibration?
People who advocate calibrate every flight do it as a superstitious ritual because they don't understand what calibrating the compass does.

I just recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision +...I am wondering what I should do first...
Read the manual - most important
Fly in a clear open area well away from trees and buildings
The Phantom is very easy to fly but don't get too adventurous too early - get lots of experience

Do you need to Calibrate the Compass everytime before flight or not?
No need to calibrate every flight. Only before your first flight and after adding or removing anything on the Phantom or travelling more than 100 miles.

Because it's unnecessary?
Because DJI didn't recommend it?
People who advocate calibrate every flight do it as a superstitious ritual because they don't understand what calibrating the compass does.

I can totally confirm Meta4's "no need to calibrate everytime" fact. I have calibrated my compass less than 10 times since purchasing in May 2014. Have flown near 200 flights with never a flight direction issue. The first was before the first flight because it was likely cal'd in China before that. Most of the others were after doing a firmware change. I did cal recently after cal'ing my phone compass. I have not flown more than 50 miles from any one spot FYI. BTW I find it very useful to compass cal my phone (outside) every once in a while to align the red arrow in the app with the orientation of the bird.

If I get the proper indications from the Phantom LEDs that the cal is complete, I have always assumed that it's a good cal. How do you get a bad cal if the LEDs indicate success?

I would recommend learning to fly home in ATTI mode using just the radar function since you don't have to get very far away before it's difficult to tell the orientation. If you lose GPS for whatever reason, HL won't work so it's good to practice often in ATTI...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic