First phantom crash today

Reaction score
I have had a phantom for around 8 months flown it over 100 times. Never crashed once. I got me the new phantom 2 and I have 7 or so flights on it and now have a crash. I would like to start of saying I always wait for satellites and make sure the quick green flashes for setting home position has occurred. I have also calibrated the compass. So I was testing out the mini osd by going up. Pretty much right over my head. I went up to about 120 meters then flew around up there a little bit. I decided to come down. I was in GPS mode but tried to come down quick. I know it is rough in gps mode to do it this way. We I slowed down then all the sudden the thing started dropping out of control. The zen muse gimbal was wobbling everywhere. I hurried and turned it to attitude mode and nothing the to fail safe nothing. Even turned off remote nothing. It was acting like it was trying to correct itself but never could. Just dropped and hit pretty hard on a dirt trail. It popped the zen muse off but nothing broke.
I have flown since but I am scared this will happen again. Any ideas?

yes you decended into your own prop wash, it happens to full size helicopters too, you should always move forward at the same time as decending

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago (see vid in link below). I now only descend with forward movement and have not experienced he uncontrolled descent/loss of control issue.

Now I have a name for it. Thanks @coueswhitetail for link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVDFmvu2z4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozon8r said:
I had this happen a couple of weeks ago (see vid in link below). I now only descend with forward movement and have not experienced he uncontrolled descent/loss of control issue.

Now I have a name for it. Thanks @coueswhitetail for link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVDFmvu2z4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That first decent was exactly like mine.

Yeah. I don't bank hard anymore nor descend straight down. I have had no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxxborg said:
I have had a phantom for around 8 months flown it over 100 times. Never crashed once. I got me the new phantom 2 and I have 7 or so flights on it and now have a crash. I would like to start of saying I always wait for satellites and make sure the quick green flashes for setting home position has occurred. I have also calibrated the compass. So I was testing out the mini osd by going up. Pretty much right over my head. I went up to about 120 meters then flew around up there a little bit. I decided to come down. I was in GPS mode but tried to come down quick. I know it is rough in gps mode to do it this way. We I slowed down then all the sudden the thing started dropping out of control. The zen muse gimbal was wobbling everywhere. I hurried and turned it to attitude mode and nothing the to fail safe nothing. Even turned off remote nothing. It was acting like it was trying to correct itself but never could. Just dropped and hit pretty hard on a dirt trail. It popped the zen muse off but nothing broke.
I have flown since but I am scared this will happen again. Any ideas?

This has happened to me too on occasion. Seems to happen when descending fast, straight down.

Not sure about props, but the p2 will be heavier because of battery, increasing stall probability

I've had this happen a few times too. The first time I was within 10m of the ground and my heart just skipped a beat when I saw it drop. I normally find that just letting go of the sticks corrects the issue within a second or so.... although at the time it feels like longer. :eek:

I've experimented with this at altitude (using the output from the IOSD Mini) and found that it takes roughly 2- 3 metres to correct it after falling at a rate of 5m/s. It also seems that as long as you descend at a lesser rate than 5m/s it stays reasonably stable and isn't affected by the prop turbulence.

The videos are of 'stalls' at fairly low altitude (or so I'm guessing). I've cut the throttle back from high altitude and let the Phantom drop a couple hundred feet (almost every time I've flown it). However, I recover it quite high and bring it down the last 100 slower (mostly because I seem to always be threading it through a canopy of trees). I think the recovery margin is probably only a dozen feet or so... maybe. It isn't as if it fails and drops like a rock forever.

It happend to me too, several time, it also crashed, my go pro hero 3+ black edtion, and gimbal also, i think it's from main board soft control, o had phantom 1 , and i never had problems when descending down, now with mai P2, I always have problem , and I'm afraid to fly ..:((

Maxxborg said:
Do you guys think the larger props on the phantom 2 could make it more prone to this issue?

That's a good question.. my P1 w/stock props and loaded (Zenmuse,FPV,etc...) lands ok, but I did notice w/P2 props on it I have to manuever right/left or fwd when landing to make smooth landings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl