First Flight Flawless Fun

Reaction score
Finally got temperatures above 40, so took out the new P3S to a local Church lot. The bird was all ready except for compass calibration. Did the dance.. all went well. Went through the checklist. Lifted off. Flew around within 100 feet, or so. Nice, soft, landings. Took a few pics. Everything worked just fine.
With so many posts about technical problems, and fly-always, etc., that appear on this forum, I thought I would post a totally positive experience.

Most flyaways are from user error.people don't read the manual and don't setup the software correctly.there have been very few fly aways that haven't been determined to be user error.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Awesome. I am having a very positive experience with mine too. Just got it 2 weeks ago. The very first time that I took it completely out of my sight was about a week ago. I was literally shaking. I was so excited to hear her buzzing up the street and coming back to me.

I just got mine yesterday and took it out for the first time today. Took it easy at first in beginner mode, and then turned beginner mode off. I'm amazed on how easy these things are to fly. I practiced for a many months on a cheap $99 drone my son had. These Phantoms pretty much fly themselves! I'm absolutely stunned.

I did not take it higher than 215' though, and kept it well within view. I'm scared to death to go further.

Finally got temperatures above 40, so took out the new P3S to a local Church lot. The bird was all ready except for compass calibration. Did the dance.. all went well. Went through the checklist. Lifted off. Flew around within 100 feet, or so. Nice, soft, landings. Took a few pics. Everything worked just fine.
With so many posts about technical problems, and fly-always, etc., that appear on this forum, I thought I would post a totally positive experience.

thanks for the post
this time of year especially..
you are the rule not the exception FWIW

good luck and have fun flying!

I just got mine yesterday and took it out for the first time today. Took it easy at first in beginner mode, and then turned beginner mode off. I'm amazed on how easy these things are to fly. I practiced for a many months on a cheap $99 drone my son had. These Phantoms pretty much fly themselves! I'm absolutely stunned.

I did not take it higher than 215' though, and kept it well within view. I'm scared to death to go further.

within site is good , safe, legal, and fun, 215 is perfect for visibility , and reasonable range

good luck and have fun flying!

Just got mine for Christmas and have had nothing but good flights so far! I have been up to 300ft but still have not had the Nadds to go out of sight yet. lol

no need to do so
especially not now if new

easy to have fun without losing VLOS

learn to fly before using the auto stuff

Well done. My very first flight I remember I went for broke. Took it up to 100m and out until RTH kicked in, about 600m. Yes my hands were shaking wondering if it would come back and it did, and it always has so far. Yes I like to live on the edge

Reactions: Neon Euc
I am new to the forum. Having been lucky enough to be given a Phantom 3 Standard by my wife at Xmas.
This follows a progression over a number of years of helicopters both fly bar and more recently fly barless models, and various quads of different shapes and sizes.
However DJI is arguably a step up to a 'grown up' model.
Although only flown once briefly on Boxing Day the very non-adventurous flight went fine, and even in windy conditions which would have left a non gps model far too unstable.
Having seen so many videos on issues with firmware updates and calibration etc, coupled with the cost of the thing if I lost it, I too am pleased to report the whole set up went without a hitch.
I did wonder where the button on the app for switching to video mode had gone, but that was solved as it now appears as a circle with a camera inside, as opposed to a slider.
As a question do many owners purchase the DJI Care insurance?
Sorry if long first post, regards
Keith

I am new to the forum. Having been lucky enough to be given a Phantom 3 Standard by my wife at Xmas.
This follows a progression over a number of years of helicopters both fly bar and more recently fly barless models, and various quads of different shapes and sizes.
However DJI is arguably a step up to a 'grown up' model.
Although only flown once briefly on Boxing Day the very non-adventurous flight went fine, and even in windy conditions which would have left a non gps model far too unstable.
Having seen so many videos on issues with firmware updates and calibration etc, coupled with the cost of the thing if I lost it, I too am pleased to report the whole set up went without a hitch.
I did wonder where the button on the app for switching to video mode had gone, but that was solved as it now appears as a circle with a camera inside, as opposed to a slider.
As a question do many owners purchase the DJI Care insurance?
Sorry if long first post, regards
Keith
The camera and video can be switched using the top left and right round buttons on the remote [emoji4]

Neon Euc

The camera and video can be switched using the top left and right round buttons on the remote [emoji4]

Neon Euc

I think those buttons are reserved for the more expensive advanced and professional models remotes.
However in terms of functions features and amount of information available even on the Standard, this is certainly the most daunting aspect for me.
Fear of selecting a function which could see it fly off, although probably illogical, makes me very cautious for initial flights. That and my wife assuring me if I lose it I can't buy another!! ;)

I think those buttons are reserved for the more expensive advanced and professional models remotes.
However in terms of functions features and amount of information available even on the Standard, this is certainly the most daunting aspect for me.
Fear of selecting a function which could see it fly off, although probably illogical, makes me very cautious for initial flights. That and my wife assuring me if I lose it I can't buy another!! ;)
Woops sorry my bad. I was thinking of my advanced controller. Your bird won't drop out the sky unless you cut the motors off or if their is a hardware failure. It's actually hard to lose a drone so you will be fine. Just add a tracking device to it too if you can just for extra assurance

Neon Euc

(snip)Woops sorry my bad. I was thinking of my advanced controller. Your bird won't drop out...

This has been the most frustrating thing about this forum. People posting answers as if for one Phantom version, with info that's really for some other version. You ask a question about the P3S, and you get an answer about the P3A, or a P4 something. Same thing with finding parts and accessories online. The seller is not always clear about what Phantom version the parts will work with. Just a small rant.

This has been the most frustrating thing about this forum. People posting answers as if for one Phantom version, with info that's really for some other version. You ask a question about the P3S, and you get an answer about the P3A, or a P4 something. Same thing with finding parts and accessories online. The seller is not always clear about what Phantom version the parts will work with. Just a small rant.
Chill out will you, some of us have a life outside the drone world and yes... Mistakes happen, maybe some of us could be dyslexic and not read it properly. But of course you being perfect you should have known that. Oh wait... You mean you didn't. ...yep.. Even more frustrating I personally think.... Someone moaning when they don't know the situation of a "certain person" not that I saw nick doben jump in and give any solutions.. Or advice

*VALID rant over*

Neon Euc

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31