First Drone questions

Reaction score
Hi

First post here, first time drone purchaser.

Sorry if these questions are pretty basic. I am going to spend time on the forum and see what i can find out as well.

I have decided on a DJI 3 and I think I am ok with the Advanced. I am only looking to use it to enhance home video's.

I have an Ipad Air 2 as well.

That being said, just a couple of questions here

1) is it worth getting the extra battery with it? its an extra 100 on amazon, or are they cheaper third party elsewhere?

2) how hard are these to really get used to and fly well? i would hat to spend this much and drop it first flight lol. I have no experience with drones, or flying anything RC etc

3) cases? is there one made for the 3 yet? what do you recommend?

4) I use Final Cut software and i take it since its recording direct to the ipad it should be easy to transfer to my mac and final cut? does anyone else do this and how is it done? any video i take with the ipad now i just plug it in and its recognized and i pull the clip right in.

5) should i get the extended warranty? is the company good at customer service?

thanks all! thanks for any help or guidance. also any training videos anywhere?

1) is it worth getting the extra battery with it? its an extra 100 on amazon, or are they cheaper third party elsewhere?
Extra batteries have not been released yet. You can pre-order them from dealers or DJI directly.

2) how hard are these to really get used to and fly well? i would hat to spend this much and drop it first flight lol. I have no experience with drones, or flying anything RC etc
They are super easy to fly -- and, super easy to crash if you do not take the time to read, understand, and follow the manual.

Go Professional cases are very well made. There are many other good choices here though:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#CasesP3

DJI does not offer an extended warranty. They are not known for their customer service -- but, I think they have improved over the past year.

also any training videos anywhere?
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/must-see-phantom-3-videos.41950

Reactions: ctp
Hi

First post here, first time drone purchaser.

Sorry if these questions are pretty basic. I am going to spend time on the forum and see what i can find out as well.

I have decided on a DJI 3 and I think I am ok with the Advanced. I am only looking to use it to enhance home video's.

I have an Ipad Air 2 as well.

That being said, just a couple of questions here

4) I use Final Cut software and i take it since its recording direct to the ipad it should be easy to transfer to my mac and final cut? does anyone else do this and how is it done? any video i take with the ipad now i just plug it in and its recognized and i pull the clip right in.

thanks all! thanks for any help or guidance. also any training videos anywhere?

1) I would say yes. Retail is $149 so if you pre-order the xtra battery when you order the P3 you're saving $49. Flight time is 18 to 20 minutes and charge times per battery is 56 minutes with the 100 watt charger that comes with the Professional model. Keep in mind no one has got their second battery yet. They will be shipped at a later date - late May or early June.

2) My P3P is my first aerial RC device. Since you have an Apple device you can take advantage of the in app simulator. I did this for a couple hours before I did my first flight and it helped out A LOT! On your first real flight, take it slow and become familiar with the controls. After 5 flights I feel very comfortable flying now.

3) There are a few out there. I ordered the DJI Hardshell Backpack. I can't comment on it because I have not got it yet.

4) The P3 records to the drone itself. That's where the memory card is located. You can send files (video and photos) over the app to your phone or iPad but the quality is not as good and sending large video files takes awhile. I recommend picking up a Micro SD USB card reader for a few dollars. Pop the memory card out of the P3, put into the USB adapter and put that into your computer.

5) I don't believe any of the extended warranties online cover aerial devices like the P3. Check the fine print!

EDIT: I will add, update the firmware on the P3 and controller before your first flight!

The main thing to remember since this is your first: Just because the box says "Ready To Fly" does not mean that you are. Do your homework, start slow, RTFM!!, practice!.

Wow

thsi has to be one of the fastest responding forums I have ever been on. thank you SO much for the help!

In the 10 minutes since i posted I ordered mine! yippee! you were all right, the extra battery wasn't available so its just the drone!

thanks for the help on the case and practcing flying and reading everything first. i will be really careful with this and take my time. The practice app looks sweet!

Alot of the video's i have seen here are AMAZING! i only hope to be able to get something close to those.

it should be here next week sometime, will practice with the app before that if i can

thanks to for the heads up on the quality to SD card vs ipad. i will use that and get a card reader.

thanks again everyone. gonna go look at some cases.

Wow

thsi has to be one of the fastest responding forums I have ever been on. thank you SO much for the help!

In the 10 minutes since i posted I ordered mine! yippee! you were all right, the extra battery wasn't available so its just the drone!

thanks for the help on the case and practcing flying and reading everything first. i will be really careful with this and take my time. The practice app looks sweet!

Alot of the video's i have seen here are AMAZING! i only hope to be able to get something close to those.

it should be here next week sometime, will practice with the app before that if i can

thanks to for the heads up on the quality to SD card vs ipad. i will use that and get a card reader.

thanks again everyone. gonna go look at some cases.

This case is popular here. http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-3-case.42494/

Yes as msinger says, easy to fly, easy to crash. I and many others recommend getting something like an X5C to practice on. My P2 Vision + sat in the case for many weeks of me practicing and crashing the X5C. The very first day of flying the P3, it lost GPS seconds after takeoff. Although not windy, there were some random gusts that threatened to put the Phantom into my roof and neighbor's tree. Had I not flown the X5C as much as I do, I know the ending would have not turned out well. Just my $.02.

I had a P3 Pro and it was hovering away at 42' AGL when something catastrophic occurred, it spun out of control and smashed into a roof then the ground. I sent everything to DJI and so far they've been good on the early support. I have no idea what they will do to me when they actually receive the bird. I know this, my flight logs appear to show that I was hands off on the sticks. It was at a hover and bam, down it goes. I think a motor went kablooey. I am hoping they replace the unit but I bought another one in the mean time and have had no issues.

If you want to practice with something before you buy.. Get a blade nano QX. WORTH IT! I fly in my home with no risk of damage to the home or the nano. Available in both bind and fly or with controller. You will love this thing. It will prepare you for the same flight characteristics as the phantom.

If you want to practice with something before you buy.. Get a blade nano QX. WORTH IT! I fly in my home with no risk of damage to the home or the nano. Available in both bind and fly or with controller. You will love this thing. It will prepare you for the same flight characteristics as the phantom.

I too bought a Blade Nano and think this is a great suggestion. Of note, the Blade is much harder to fly than is the Phantom. That's good, because if you can hone your skills on the Blade, you'll be a much better Phantom pilot! But don't worry if you start flying the Blade and realize that you crash all of the time! The Phantom will be much more stable and if you get worried, you can just take your hands off the sticks and it will hover in place. The Blade won't do that at all.

Welcome to the forum! Read a lot on here. Theres a ton of great information, and some myths thrown in there also. When you get your P3, play with the simulator first, then take it out to an open area and fly several flights in beginner mode and you'll find you learn quickly!

Chris

I too bought a Blade Nano and think this is a great suggestion. Of note, the Blade is much harder to fly than is the Phantom. That's good, because if you can hone your skills on the Blade, you'll be a much better Phantom pilot! But don't worry if you start flying the Blade and realize that you crash all of the time! The Phantom will be much more stable and if you get worried, you can just take your hands off the sticks and it will hover in place. The Blade won't do that at all.

Welcome to the forum! Read a lot on here. Theres a ton of great information, and some myths thrown in there also. When you get your P3, play with the simulator first, then take it out to an open area and fly several flights in beginner mode and you'll find you learn quickly!

Chris
I have the bind and fly. Try letting it hover and adjusting the trim if you have it on your controller. It won't drift as much if you do. Remarkable little thing.

Buy a dromida ominus it's $59 and you'll learn even if you crash , there almost impossible to break

thanks all, What is the training App called? can i get that with my ipad now and start? def looking at some of the cheaper drones to train with as well

thanks all!

The cheaper drones are a blast and in their own way more fun to fly than the Phantom.

As for you question on Final Cut, I use it, and like it. As for downloading the video from your P3 to your iPad don't waste both your time and your battery life cycle. Just pop the sd card out of the bird and use an adapter to insert it into your MAC for import to final cut... much faster. The download speed from the P3 is like watching paint dry, slow and boring.

yep, i ordered a larger SD card and USB 3 reader. i also got the stronger Ipad air 2 mount. and the cheaper drones are on their way

is the training app available form the app store? or only when you have the drone?

thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers