****! First crash.

Video wasn't recording but my Flytrex Core2 was.
I looked at the data this morning and the data stops mid air right about the time it started to get away from me but before it hit the ground. I can see it heading in that direction but the data ends early.

Does anyone know if you can "play back" a KML file in google earth so it shows the progression and relative speed?
I was trying but I don't think the KML files from Flytrex have time stamps.

Cahutch,
You could play the data with another video. The Core should have recorded until the battery ejected. Bad deal, but hopefully your bird is okay.

Fplvert said:
Cahutch,
You could play the data with another video. The Core should have recorded until the battery ejected. Bad deal, but hopefully your bird is okay.
Another video? I don't have dashware. I can look at the CSV data but it's hard to visualize. I'd like to be able to watch the GPS track progress over time in google earth or see a color map of speed on the gps track.

I've tried decoding the fpv file using http://www.flightsim.ee/for-developers/ ... pv-decoder but it doesn't work for me. Just returns garbage nonsense data.
I think because on the Phantom 2, Flytrex can't record compass heading information so the program get's out of sync with the data.

Maybe the core2 buffers data and only writes to the card every few seconds? I might try the backup trick to dump what might be in the buffer.
In any case the data stops mid air and the battery couldn't have fallen out at that point or it wouldn't have landed anywhere near the phantom.

My bad, I figured you had dashware, and you could play the data file. You're right, the CSV file by itself doesn't paint a very good picture of what happened. It's strange that the data stopped before the crash, but probably irrelevant anyway. Dashware is cool btw! :D

So a quick status update.
I did the first Post-crash test flight today and happily there were no problems.

I put a new set of props on her. Those are the spares that came with her so I'll need to order another set.

I took it out in the field away from all things metallic and did a good slow Compass calibration by the numbers.

GPS acquisition was quick today, 10-12 sats. She popped up into a hover and stabilized quickly. Not much drift, light wind today. No TBE.

The gimbal appears to be operating normally. Video is stable and there's no obvious tilt to the picture.

I'm still waiting for the epoxy to fully harden on the wrecked battery. I'll need to be careful and stay close to home when testing that. No telling how much juice it will really have in it.

I also took the opportunity to try Atti mode for the first time. That will take some getting used to. If you're going to try atti mode, take heed.
She definitely has momentum in Atti mode. When you let off the stick, she keeps moving until you counter to stop it.
I'm used to flying a little 180 quad and though it doesn't have GPS, it's so lightweight that momentum isn't much of a factor when flying it.
Not so with the Phantom 2. It's heavy and just keeps moving in the direction it was moving.
Flew it out about 50 yards and turned it around nose in with a quick rudder turn. She turned around but kept flying backwards away from me. When I faced her toward me and started to fly straight back, she came back at an angle since the wind was moving it sideways at the same time. She does seem to hold altitude in Atti mode so it seems the system is using the barometric altimeter and holding altitude as well as attitude.

I've only had my P2V+ a few days so still scared shitless when it's in the air!
I've cut my teeth on the Hubsans and can fly the small quads really well but of course they are cheap.... the Phantom is not!

I'm really sorry to hear about your crash and glad it wasn't too serious but just in case something like that happened to me (or any of us)...if you "had" changed to ATTI mode as soon as it started going AWOL (I know about the luxury of hindsight) would there have been more chance of regaining control?

Fourblade said:
... if you "had" changed to ATTI mode as soon as it started going AWOL (I know about the luxury of hindsight) would there have been more chance of regaining control?
I think so, but I don't know for sure.
I'm hoping someone else who knows will chime in. My theory is that ATTI mode is manual control only, so the flight controller won't have a "mind of it's own" and try to compensate for erroneous GPS or compass data.
I'm fairly certain it 100% ignores GPS when in Atti mode but I'm not sure if the compass data is integrated in any way. I think it would have leveled itself and responded to the throttle to regain altitude. It may have still been flying away but it would have given me more time to regain control.

I remember frantically checking the switches to make sure it was in GPS mode as it was going out of control, and it didn't occur to me to deliberately switch to Atti mode to regain control.
Hopefully it will occur to me if it ever gets a mind of it's own again.

cahutch said:
Fourblade said:
... if you "had" changed to ATTI mode as soon as it started going AWOL (I know about the luxury of hindsight) would there have been more chance of regaining control?
I think so, but I don't know for sure.
My theory is that ATTI mode is manual control only,

With ATTI the bird is still controled by the Flight controller only without GPS.
In manual mode you do it all by yourself.
It makes a lot of difference :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19455&start=10#p200221

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl