Firmware Upgrade Failed

Reaction score
I added the Zenmuse Gimbal and attempted the upgrade as instructed here:
http://www.dji.com/dji-released-new-firmware-for-phantom-2-remote-control/
I got no further than step 1 (upgrade RC to V1.0.1.11)
A warning came up that said "upgrade failed". The red Power LED on the remote went out and my RC unit was dead.
I can not get my PC to recognize my RC. The RC Assistant software does not "see" my Remote either. I reinstalled drivers, etc.
It seems to be "BRICKED".
I'm not suggesting that anyone stay away from this, but I can't understand why DJI has an upgrade that allows this to happen or at least allow another attempt at the upgrade. I would think the software would have a "Fail Safe" built in so it does not just lock up the unit? I followed the instructions exactly as printed, yet it Failed.

I found two or three other posts in RC Groups Forum of that same thing happening.
One person was able to get power back by removing the batteries and switching on the power for an hour to "clear up" something and seems to have repaired itself. Another person was in the same boat as me.
An upgrade failure is one thing, but to have the attempted upgrade ruin the RC is another.

My reseller allowed me to return the remote for exchange. I hope the new unit's firmware is up to date. I'll be somewhat hesitant to try another RC upgrade after the last fail.
If my Zenmuse gimbal performs OK, I'll just leave well enough alone.
Thanks all.

I just updated my transmitter firmware yesterday. I had to install the RC assistant on a different computer than the one I'd used before. I also got a message saying the install had failed. But I was still able to run the application after that and do the firmware update.

This really has to be the hackiest SW I've ever dealt with in a long time.

I know what you mean. My retail supplier agreed to exchange my "bricked" RC. It should be on it's way to me.
I'm very reluctant to attempt the RC upgrade again. I hope it has already been done.
I'll use my Zenmuse the way it is for now, I hope some day DJI will somehow enable upgrades without the possibility of failure.
I state again that I did follow the instructions exactly as printed and got no further than the attempted RC upgrade causing a frozen RC unit.

Good luck to all.

Mine just did the same thing.Phantom 2 vision. Now I have a bricked transmitter. I tried the black button and turning it on with it pushed but nothing. Anyone know how to get this issue resolved?

I have a bricked transmitter too! Anyone know for what the internal black button is? The power on green LED remains OFF when power switch is ON.

I also thought that I bricked my controller. I used the PhantomRC software on OS X. The first upgrade failed and the power led stayed off, no matter what I did. I did notice that the PhantomRC mode detected the RC when connected and switched on (even when the power led was off). The RC was put in bootloader mode, so it still could accept new firmware. I tried to upgrade it a few times and it kept failing. When I had removed the USB cable and reconnected it again, then it succeeded. The actual upgrade happens within 5 seconds, so it's pretty fast (when it works).

It was a **** nasty experience though. I though I bricked my RC as well, but after a few attempts it worked.

I also thought that I bricked my controller. I used the PhantomRC software on OS X. The first upgrade failed and the power led stayed off, no matter what I did. I did notice that the PhantomRC mode detected the RC when connected and switched on (even when the power led was off). The RC was put in bootloader mode, so it still could accept new firmware. I tried to upgrade it a few times and it kept failing. When I had removed the USB cable and reconnected it again, then it succeeded. The actual upgrade happens within 5 seconds, so it's pretty fast (when it works).

It was a **** nasty experience though. I though I bricked my RC as well, but after a few attempts it worked.

Just registered here to a.) thank you and b.) confirm all is not lost if anyone else finds themself in this situation. I am using the DJ RC System Assistant on a Win7 PC and had the same problem as most in this thread. Dead RC wih no light regardless of power switch state. System showed as fw version 0.0.0.0 and was in "loader mode" (or something similar) across the bottom. But Windows recognized that the RC was being shut on or off and the app sensed it as well. In my case power cycling the remote or unplugging the USB cable wasn't enough, but I messed around with closing and re-opening the app as well, and then the upgrade available link succeeded. Sorry, didn't documnt the actual steps, but messed with a combination of toggling power, un/pugging usb, and closing and launching the app. Whew!

Good luck, give it a try.

Just registered here to a.) thank you and b.) confirm all is not lost if anyone else finds themself in this situation. I am using the DJ RC System Assistant on a Win7 PC and had the same problem as most in this thread. Dead RC wih no light regardless of power switch state. System showed as fw version 0.0.0.0 and was in "loader mode" (or something similar) across the bottom. But Windows recognized that the RC was being shut on or off and the app sensed it as well. In my case power cycling the remote or unplugging the USB cable wasn't enough, but I messed around with closing and re-opening the app as well, and then the upgrade available link succeeded. Sorry, didn't documnt the actual steps, but messed with a combination of toggling power, un/pugging usb, and closing and launching the app. Whew!

Good luck, give it a try.
Thanx mate, I had same issue and followed your suggestions! I thought I was in the deep brown when all lights went out.
Thanks for logging in and sharing.
I really appreciate it!

Thanks to @bugboy and @Can'tComplain for the tip on how fix the bricked controller. I had the same issue, I opened it up and tried the black button inside, then tried new batteries. Really thought I was going to have to buy a new controller till I tried the trick on OSX, updated and the thing came back right away. So glad it's now working again! Thanks for the Tip!!

I know this is an older thread, but I just ran into this because I just got a new to me, P2V. The black button inside is a boot loader button. I had a failed update and then it was "bricked", after several moments of freaking out, I found this thread. The part about the software seeing the RC when you turn it off and on made me think of some flight boards I have dealt with.

After it dawned on me that the button must be a boot loader button, I plugged everything in, pressed the boot load button, turned on the RC, clicked the update firmware, and 5 seconds later it was updated and working just like it was.

I hope this can help someone. :)

Now to just sort out that no video issue. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj