Firmware update

Reaction score
Have not used my P3S for a while, and may need to update. What is the best update to use for the machine and the DJI go app? Also has anyone used 1.9.20?

Have not used my P3S for a while, and may need to update. What is the best update to use for the machine and the DJI go app? Also has anyone used 1.9.20?
I have my standard updated to the latest firmware and works extremely well. The range has been always great.

Have not used my P3S for a while, and may need to update.

Patrick,
The concensus on updates is a bit mixed and something of a personal preference in this forum. Some here advocate updating once the update has been vetted for significant issues by a number of users; while others say, "If it flies perfectly fine, don't break it (with an update)". I updated once after I first bought my P3S. That update didn't go well. I finally resolved the issues with the update and went on to log somewhere around 250 flights without any issues. Not sure how long "for a while" is but, my personal suggestion would be, power everything up (without props attached) and confirm if an update is actually required to fly. Depending on how old your firmware is, you may get a message in the Go app which says an update is needed, but your Phantom will still fly without it. Some updates are useful, while others seem to cause more issues than they resolve. Just my own two cents.

There were stories online about this update, and some of the stories were telling people that the update prevented you from flying the drone normally, and that you would get height and distance limits of 30m high and 50m away.

Not true. DJI simply wants to know who is really at the controls in the event any of their drones should misbehave.
Restrictions only apply if you are not logged in to the app. This has to be done once only after the update.
Once you are logged in, there is no need for a live internet connection anymore. When you are in the field, no internet is required to fly, and there will be no restrictions at all.

My P3S is running 1.9.20+ and is running as expected.

Reactions: Ron Arnson
I am in same position. Have not flown my standard in a while. Here is my question. I can not find an answer to. I am sure it is here somewhere, but this great forum is just too big.;)

My understanding is that if you run 1.9.20 and you do not use the DJI Go app. Using the Controller and Phantom alone. You will get the flight restrictions in height and distance.

Any comments? Thanks
Bill

1.9.20 and the latest version of Go app works just fine if you have the cpu and ram required, just take the time to do the one time login to DJI and the height and distance restrictions are immediately removed. Be aware that the same restrictions will go back into effect if the Compass, GPS or controller uplink goes south.
I rolled back to 3.1.11 because newer apps became too demanding to run efficiently on any of my devices. Check out the most recent release of the recommended device listing. Seems DJI pulled the plug on many devices they used to recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmyVet
1.9.20 and the latest version of Go app works just fine if you have the cpu and ram required, just take the time to do the one time login to DJI and the height and distance restrictions are immediately removed. Be aware that the same restrictions will go back into effect if the Compass, GPS or controller uplink goes south.
I rolled back to 3.1.11 because newer apps became too demanding to run efficiently on any of my devices. Check out the most recent release of the recommended device listing. Seems DJI pulled the plug on many devices they used to recommend.

Thanks for that info.

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94