Firmware Nightmare

Reaction score
Went through one heck of an experience updating firmware last night on my one week old Phantom 4. Yikes !! Turned it into a brick but after many hours and help at the DJI forum I now finally have it back up! Extremely happy as I was getting ready to ship it back and it flew like a dream so that was super disappointing. Anyway here’s the thread as it might help someone else out. DJI really needs to fix this updating firmware thing.

Firmware broke New Phantom 4

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
Firmware updates are "Optional" at your own discretion, or in some cases your own "Peril". Personally, I still fly with 2 year old firmware and still flies perfectly. As they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Lesson very well learned sir. Off all the firmwares I’ve updated in my life and theirs been at least a hundred, on all kinds of electronics, I have never experienced anything quite like this. Hope this beta version flys as well as what was in there when I got it.

With the beta 6 version loaded the aircraft now it seemed fine in flight and I was ecstatic to see it fly again after what I thought was a new brick in the house. Seems stable, had a little wiggle but could have been the wind. But for sure the video link was not as good. Had never dropped out before but now even very close it was dropping out on occasion. Maybe I was too close as I was testing the Phantom. Test some more tomorrow and see. I’m extremely happy it’s flying again but I just wish I could rollback the firmware to what it came installed with when I received it. Big big mistake on my part.

I have not had any issues with any updates. However, to update them i have had issues understanding what the heck i need to do. They should address that in a manual or something. I too almost returned mine, if it wasnt for this site, i would have the first weekend.

I have not had any issues with any updates. However, to update them i have had issues understanding what the heck i need to do. They should address that in a manual or something. I too almost returned mine, if it wasnt for this site, i would have the first weekend.

I agree. DJI needs better instructions for updating.

I always update and actually look forward to new updates. In some cases it has been like getting a new bird. DJI has made several improvements since the release of the P4 and I can’t imagine flying on the old firmware. I have also never had an issue updating in almost 2 years of updating Phantom products.

People tend to focus on the bad when an update comes out and never really talk about the good. For instance the way the craft decends. In the beginning when I bought my P4 you couldn’t get quality video while descending. The craft would yaw ever so slightly back and forth and you could see it in the video. Now decents are almost perfect. There have been auto landing updates too that give you a more precise auto land, speed increases, new flying modes, etc.

Remember, on forums, you usually only hear about the bad. It’s because people are seeking help. People don’t come on a forum talking about good (usually) because they are out having fun and not needing help. You then get 4,5, maybe 15 people who share a problem and all of a sudden it’s a world wide epidemic. When in reality it’s not. A few people having problems on a public forum is in no way an accurate way to determine if in fact it is a problem.

If I were you, I would update to the latest and greatest;)

With the beta 6 version loaded the aircraft now it seemed fine in flight and I was ecstatic to see it fly again after what I thought was a new brick in the house. Seems stable, had a little wiggle but could have been the wind. But for sure the video link was not as good. Had never dropped out before but now even very close it was dropping out on occasion. Maybe I was too close as I was testing the Phantom. Test some more tomorrow and see. I’m extremely happy it’s flying again but I just wish I could rollback the firmware to what it came installed with when I received it. Big big mistake on my part.
Hi there, could you please share the source from where I can get the Beta .600 for my P4. I had earlier but it is no more in my Assistant 2.
Will be a great help.

You need to put in a request for it at the DJI forum.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj