Firmnware and settings saved after removing battery?

Reaction score
I want to be absolutely sure that the firmware and settings are saved after I did some test flights.

I flew it for the last time:
1) ran the 2 batteries down to where the phantom led were blinking red, meaning batteries were 10% or less.
2) removed the batteries and will store for 1.5 weeks
3) gonna remove propellers, etc and box it up for the trip.

So... when I get to Colorado and I take it out of the box, I just pop the propellers on, do Compass calibration, then I can fly? no need to check the settings, firmware updates, etc??? running the battery and leaving it disconnected for a week or two will not lose the calibrated settings?

This will be the first real flights, and I just been practicing for 2 weeks learning about GPS mode, ATTI, HL and CL, all good so far.

Yep just a compass calibration should be needed. It won't forget the software settings. Watch it closely at first though, just in case it took a knock while travelling.

I would store the batts at about 50% though. Not good storing them empty or full. Just plug them into charger for a while until 3rd light is flashing.

Also most airlines want the batts in carry-on only. So take your whole phantom carry-on or if that's not possible, just take the batteries carry-on. Check with your airline.

wow, where does it say in the manual to store at 50%? that would be better for me since it will only take like 30 mins to charge up when I get there!

I don't know where I got the idea to run the battery down. I think I saw it say to fly the phantom and hover when the led are flashing red ( low battery warning), then leave it until it lowers itself.

wow, where does it say in the manual to store at 50%? that would be better for me since it will only take like 30 mins to charge up when I get there!

I don't know where I got the idea to run the battery down. I think I saw it say to fly the phantom and hover when the led are flashing red ( low battery warning), then leave it until it lowers itself.

That's to do a full charge cycle, which should be done after every 20 discharges.

Storing at 50-70% is standard practice on any lipo battery to prolong life.

I tend to run them until it lands also, then when i get home i charge to ~50% and store until next time when I will charge them before going out or the night before.

The last part of the charge takes the longest as the charge rate tapers down. Will take longer than 30mins but quicker than charging them from empty.

OK, so let me make sure I got this right...

I fly the Phantom and run it down. When I am done, then I should charge it back to about 50-70% and store for a few days, weeks.

So same thing if I am going to store for a few months ( at 50-70%)?

So what is this " do a full charge cycle after 20 discharges"? after 20 flights?
I am confused about this part.

The longer you leave them, the more important the storage charge voltage is. If you are going to use them the next day or next few days then it wont hurt to fully charge but if you leave for weeks/months then you should keep at 50-70%.

When you run it down by flying normally, it wont run them right down. probably down to around 15-20%. They recommend discharging down to 8% every 20 discharges followed by a full charge to help keep their battery monitor circuitry in calibration. (dont leave it fully charged for too long after this though, normal lipo rules still apply.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.